Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Picked a tire (Michelin Krylion), width question

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 02:59 AM
3030vision

Bikes: vintage Italvega fixed conversion, vintage Fuji fixed conversion, KHS Aero Track frame, old Motobecane 10 speed, fixed (!) Bridgestone MB-0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
My Conti Gatorskin Ultra front tire is looking pretty ragged and I've heard good things about the Krylion tires so I thought I'd check them out. I'd convinced myself that I should go with the 700x25 size since I'm an all-weather San Francisco city commuter, but silly as it may be, they only come with a gray stripe, not the other nice colors that are available in the 700x23 size.

So help me out, I'll notice a little softer ride and slight increase in puncture resistance if I buy the 700x25 size, correct? I should probably just suck up the less desirable color.

More about my riding: I commute daily in the city, riding over lots of broken glass bits, potholes, and god knows what else. It doesn't rain much in SF but I also ride in the rain/wet in the winter.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-09, 05:26 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my road bike (Jamis Quest, steel frame) I can't tell any difference between 25s and 23s. YMMV.
Old 09-16-09, 07:44 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to check the road forum. There's a thread over there about how the Krylion quality has gone in the toilet.

Edit: Here... helps you get by all the mindless PCad posts..
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=584840
Old 09-16-09, 08:12 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did forget to add that unless you dislike the Gatorskins you may consider sticking with them. The 700x23s I have are great... if you want something racier you could try the GP4000s.
Old 09-16-09, 08:25 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There wasn't any useful info in the road cycling thread pertinent to the current tires.

Anyhow, like that thread I disliked the gp4000 I had and the krylions have been fine. They do seem to wear out quickly. I do believe that gatorskins have better puncture resistance and tend to run wider than krylions. My 700X23 krylions are narrower than the gatorskins of the same size.
Personally, for a commuter I think gatorskins are slightly better. I run krylions on my CF bike.