Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Shifting performance versus Bike Speed

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-19-13, 12:49 PM
Stillpumping

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses to my earlier question about shifting - shifter tension. Took Cannondale to bike shop and they made an adjustment which I hope will correct problem. I also believe (as a few mentioned) that I need to shift down to (1) range gear when taking on a good size hill and leave the (2) range crank for smaller hills.

One other question. Should an above average hybrid bike shift smoothly riding slowly on level ground versus moving faster over all types of terrain? I've noticed that the Cannondale Quick SL3 seems to shift fairly smooth when I'm moving at a medium to high speeds. But when biking at a slower pace my bike gears seem to slip a little more often and the gear shifts are substantially louder. Its as if the bike is saying - push me and I'll shift smoothly for you but bike slow and you won't be happy with gear change.

Shimano Acera 9 speed in front and Shimano Deore 9 speed Derailleur in rear. My understanding is Shimano derailleur might be a little more mountain bike type derailleur vs a pure road bike derailleur. In any case was just curious if some gear slippage is acceptable while peddling slow on a flat surface or if all shifting should be smooth and consistent at any speed..
Old 04-20-13, 06:24 AM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stillpumping
Thanks for the responses to my earlier question about shifting - shifter tension. Took Cannondale to bike shop and they made an adjustment which I hope will correct problem. I also believe (as a few mentioned) that I need to shift down to (1) range gear when taking on a good size hill and leave the (2) range crank for smaller hills.

One other question. Should an above average hybrid bike shift smoothly riding slowly on level ground versus moving faster over all types of terrain? I've noticed that the Cannondale Quick SL3 seems to shift fairly smooth when I'm moving at a medium to high speeds. But when biking at a slower pace my bike gears seem to slip a little more often and the gear shifts are substantially louder. Its as if the bike is saying - push me and I'll shift smoothly for you but bike slow and you won't be happy with gear change.

Shimano Acera 9 speed in front and Shimano Deore 9 speed Derailleur in rear. My understanding is Shimano derailleur might be a little more mountain bike type derailleur vs a pure road bike derailleur. In any case was just curious if some gear slippage is acceptable while peddling slow on a flat surface or if all shifting should be smooth and consistent at any speed..
I understand what your describing,( I think) there never should be any slippage from any derailleur. When adjusted correctly, even big box store bikes will shift smooth. When a mechanic adjust one in the shop, the biked is on a stand. It could need to be tweaked a little more when under normal riding conditions, just maybe half a barrel turn or so. If it slips on upshifting, but not down shifting, ( its to loose) & vise versa. When doing this, just a quarter barrel turn at a time. If this does not fix it, could be worn out, bent, defective, or ant number of things. You can always take it back to the shop and ask the mechanic to ride test it.
Old 04-20-13, 06:31 AM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stillpumping

Also it could possibly that your trying to shift under to much pressure from peddling. Which you could easily be doing if your trying to run through your total gear range under 10 MPH or so.