Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tools needed to swap out pre-2013 Brompton crankset to post 2013 version

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tools needed to swap out pre-2013 Brompton crankset to post 2013 version

Old 12-25-15, 12:12 PM
shinew

Bikes: Current: 2015 Brompton M6L Raw Lacuqer; Past: 2013 Brompton M3L, 2008 Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tools needed to swap out 2012 Brompton crankset to post 2013 one?

Hi, Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm planning to swap a 2012 Brompton crankset with a 2013 Brompton, I figure I could send the bikes to a bike shop or just use the money to do it myself and learn something at the same time(plus I like tools). So can someone give me a list of minimum tools needed to do the job? I already have some basic tools such as the adjustable wrenches(big & small), those folding bike tools, etc... I figure I'll probably need:
  1. Bracket tool like the Park Tool BBT-4
  2. Crank tool
  3. Ratchet with 14mm Drive bit(for 2012 version)
  4. Allen bit(for 2013 version, what size though?)
  5. Some heavy grease
Anything else? Also is having a torque wrench a big plus? I'm not planning to overhaul by bikes often but if it is useful in the long term, I don't mind getting one. Thank you for your input!
Old 12-25-15, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
you have the Plastic ended Sealed bearing BB? that wrench fits ? you may be able to Just leave it.

I pulled mine because I fitted a Mountain Drive crank which integrates it's own BB.

I have a socket that works in a tool made to remove BB Fixing bolts: Crank Wrench - Park Tool

when you put on the new crank use same bolt or newer shimano style which uses a 8mm hex socket in the bolt head , instead

It 'self Dust caps' the extraction threads.. that is what the other side of that tool is for..
Old 12-27-15, 06:31 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It is correct that you also have to swap out the BB. Brompton changed the taper from JIS to ISO.
Old 01-01-16, 02:55 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer this crank puller to the Park. We only have one at the warehouse,and I save it for problem children. I've trashed a couple of the Park models with the handle,but then I prolly average like 5 sets of cranks a day,so doubt you'll see that kind of use.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-01-16, 05:12 PM
shinew

Bikes: Current: 2015 Brompton M6L Raw Lacuqer; Past: 2013 Brompton M3L, 2008 Dahon Mu Uno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, although for now I don't need to swap them anymore. For future reference, would this one also work? https://www.amazon.com/XLC-bike-tools...rds=crank+tool
Also can I upgrade a 2012 6-speed Brompton with all the updated components(crankset, double walled rims & brakes) from an existing 2013 3-speed model? My main concern is the rear wheel because of the different hub, but I think it's doable, or is it?
Old 02-11-16, 02:25 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shinew
For future reference, would this one also work? https://www.amazon.com/XLC-bike-tools...rds=crank+tool
Sorry for the delay,been busy. Yes,that puller will work,but I prefer the ones with handles. If the cranks are really on,I'd rather hammer the puller handle than a wrench.

Originally Posted by shinew
Also can I upgrade a 2012 6-speed Brompton with all the updated components(crankset, double walled rims & brakes) from an existing 2013 3-speed model? My main concern is the rear wheel because of the different hub, but I think it's doable, or is it?
Yes,the parts will all swap. However,you won't be able to run the two cogs and derailleur with the 3spd hub;the 3spd will only take one cog. If you want a 6spd,you need the BWR hub.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X