Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Awesome deal on new Hooligan

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Awesome deal on new Hooligan

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 02:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The Killer V / Delta V design can't be any worse than a step-through, of which there are plenty in the world. Cannondale sold them through the 90's. It was their early answer to adding enough stack for a suspension fork while maintaining standover. Once Cannondale had come up with a frame design they tended to keep selling it for a long, long time, sometimes through several different model names and numbers. In the long run, super raked frames with super long seat posts became the default answer and Cannondale followed it. For some of the F models they had both styles available, or they had the V-style frame on the smaller sizes.

Why their new owners would reintroduce it more than ten years later on a mini velo, well, you got me.

You also sometimes see it in the front compartment of tandems with small frames.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-12-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 07:38 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Between the Downtube and the Hooligan for looks... well, it's really down to the fact that the Hooligan has been through the hands of a designer. Not an engineer - someone who makes smart decisions about color scheme, can spend some time on custom decal design, the balance of features to looks, etc. In the linked version of the Hooligan above, the yellow and black theme is continued across every component. The only silvery parts are the rotors and chain. It's very much stripped down. The hidden headset and the disk brakes and the lack of any quick releases give a much cleaner look to the frame. The Downtube looks, for lack of a better description, nerdy. It's got a lot of style sacrificed for function. There are brazes and quick releases sticking out everywhere. There's a mix of gloss black and satin black and plastic black and satin finish alloy and chrome. It's all much more functional, but how would it look if all that were just black? Never mind for a moment even if it were matte or gloss. What if the seat or cables matched the grips or frame color?

This is also the major lack in looks of all the Bikes Direct products.
Thanks for the insight.

Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 01-30-16, 02:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
A couple of other threads linked about the Mercier brought me back to this thread with this thought... perhaps the Cannondale is using the Delta V frame design for added stiffness. Otherwise the front triangle would not be very triangular or triangulated.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-30-16, 04:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Agreed the differences are clear, let me rephrase my question. Our 8H uses 20" wheels, has a suspension fork, and an 8sp internal hub is that awesome too??? If not what makes this mini-velo more awesome?

Overall, I think there are many similar folding bikes on the market, I don't understand the draw to a mini-velo.

Thanks,
Yan
The draw of a minivelo, for me, is added strength. No hinges, no folding joints, and the ability to have a heavier rider use it WITHOUT FEAR OF CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. I'm 235lbs-240lbs, so a bike like this is a safe ride for me.

Create a Downtube minivelo with an 8 speed igh and I'll jump to buy one!!!
Old 02-05-16, 12:36 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow I want one of these pretty bad I am tempted to see if my friends in that are would pick it up for me and figure out to get it to me somehow, but I know I would really prefer to have more than 3 speeds...but man these are sweet.

As for why?? I have never ridden one of these but basically you are getting the mini velo ride of a legit quick fun bike in the package of the Hooligan its like combining that with the sort of bombproof style of bike you would get riding a BMX bike and you have gears. I would think the style isn't going to appeal to the masses but it appeals to certain people and those people REALLY like them.
Old 02-05-16, 09:23 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
I know I would really prefer to have more than 3 speeds...
Only thing in the way of converting it to 8 or 11 speeds is money...
Old 02-11-16, 01:58 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Although I'd be real tempted to immediately go 8 or 11 speed with it, I'd probably tool around on it as a 3sp for a while.
Originally Posted by monsterpile
wow I want one of these pretty bad ...but I know I would really prefer to have more than 3 speeds
They had a 1x8 derailleur version for 1yr here in the States. They had a 1x9 der version in the UK at least a year or two ago(too lazy to look it up). Last year they had a road version with drop bars and a full 2x drivetrain:

Note,the der and IGH bikes are different frames;different dropouts and the IGH has a EBB. But there are adapters for adding der hangers.

Originally Posted by downtube
If not what makes this mini-velo more awesome?

Overall, I think there are many similar folding bikes on the market, I don't understand the draw to a mini-velo.
Simple;they don't fold. The lack of hinges and pivots make the frame stronger and lighter. Also,because they don't fold,you don't have to worry about components clearing the fold. Drop bars and wider tires don't present problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-11-16, 02:03 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
What's the advantage of a single sided fork?
On a street bike,pretty much just looks. Yeah,you can repair a flat quicker,but the majority of flats are in the rear. Plus,while the wheel is hard to steal,the tire is easy to take. Also,you're limited to C'dale's solo hubs,which are high spoke count disc only. They had a 'normal' forked model,but only for like one year(my 8 is one).

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-11-16, 03:05 PM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Join the hooligan pages on facebook, fella has made several alfine 11 and rholhoff hubbed hooly.
Old 10-09-16, 05:39 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
On a street bike,pretty much just looks. Yeah,you can repair a flat quicker,but the majority of flats are in the rear. Plus,while the wheel is hard to steal,the tire is easy to take. Also,you're limited to C'dale's solo hubs,which are high spoke count disc only. They had a 'normal' forked model,but only for like one year(my 8 is one).
It took me a while to find 2010 one with 8 speed and a regular fork. Now my Hooligan expecting a total upgrade over the winter. I already purchased Brooks Cambium seat for it and some carbon blinks. Also, thinking to get the frame black powder coated if I can find a proper shop locally.

Sorry for the background.

Old 10-09-16, 06:26 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
NY State borders Canada, bro. Straight shot up to Toronto once you clear the Triborough. Time for a roadtrip, I reckon.

Originally Posted by tds101
And, as is my luck, it can't be shipped. Bummer!
Old 10-09-16, 06:39 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
NY State borders Canada, bro. Straight shot up to Toronto once you clear the Triborough. Time for a roadtrip, I reckon.
First off, did you notice how old my post was? I'm really not interested in getting this bike right now. I have my Dahon Speed 3i, and I'm fine with it for the time being.

Second, taking a trip to Canada to see family I'd do, but to travel there for a "no longer available" bike just MIGHT be an exercise in futility.

Eventually I'll get a Downtube folding bike. That's what interests me,...
Old 10-09-16, 07:05 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Ok, bro.

Peace out.

Originally Posted by tds101
First off, did you notice how old my post was? I'm really not interested in getting this bike right now. I have my Dahon Speed 3i, and I'm fine with it for the time being.

Second, taking a trip to Canada to see family I'd do, but to travel there for a "no longer available" bike just MIGHT be an exercise in futility.

Eventually I'll get a Downtube folding bike. That's what interests me,...
Old 10-09-16, 09:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Ok, bro.

Peace out.
No problem. I just can't afford 'em all, and this one passed me by.
Old 10-10-16, 07:39 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by shrooms
It took me a while to find 2010 one with 8 speed and a regular fork. Now my Hooligan expecting a total upgrade over the winter. I already purchased Brooks Cambium seat for it and some carbon blinks. Also, thinking to get the frame black powder coated if I can find a proper shop locally.

Sorry for the background.
Nice looking bike Shrooms. Black like the flat black they used for the Bad Boy would be nice but painting a bike is a lot of work. All the disassembly and assembly, chasing threads, refacing bottom bracket and head tubes. I would wait until your bike really needs a paint job before I would repaint. Happy riding.
Old 10-11-16, 07:19 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bikes are like cars; styling is just as important as function.
Cannondale simply didn't want to make a regular minivelo when so many others already do.
It's a weird looking bike and that's why it has been around so many years; some people just want to be different.
You can't huck a regular minivelo around like a BMX; the toptube gets in the way.
There's a reason to the name of this bike; it's for fooling around.
Old 10-11-16, 11:13 AM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Nice looking bike Shrooms. Black like the flat black they used for the Bad Boy would be nice but painting a bike is a lot of work. All the disassembly and assembly, chasing threads, refacing bottom bracket and head tubes. I would wait until your bike really needs a paint job before I would repaint. Happy riding.
Thanks blakcloud. About power coating the frame it's just thinking yet. The frame has to lose the graphics and I'm not sure how the graphics can be painted or applied back on top of power coating, then there are reasons you mentioned. Definitely a time and money consuming process.

Riding is the reason why I wanted the bike so much. The way it rides I'm done with folders and even selling my titanium roadis. Hooligan is fast, soft, and at the same time solid bike. It so good if you have to test ride it for about 20 minutes you most likely will join the club.
Old 10-11-16, 11:40 AM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ttakata73
Bikes are like cars; styling is just as important as function.
Cannondale simply didn't want to make a regular minivelo when so many others already do.
It's a weird looking bike and that's why it has been around so many years; some people just want to be different.
You can't huck a regular minivelo around like a BMX; the toptube gets in the way.
There's a reason to the name of this bike; it's for fooling around.
From the name and the look of Holligan probably their initial idea was to make a BMX style bike. The result we never see the bike around BMX crowd. It's expensive and has a MTB riding position. It's sort of a BMX style urban racer fast and maneuverable between cars.