Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Taipei Int'l Cycle Show 2016: Curl introduced for 8th time!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Taipei Int'l Cycle Show 2016: Curl introduced for 8th time!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 03:22 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Brompton are famous for 1 design, and Dahon are famous for many. Both are copied incessantly,...it's a sign of success. Are the copies of the same quality, or an upgrade? Or, are they throwaways? At least, with the original, we usually know what we're getting.

The Dahon Curl? Oh, from the looks of it, we'd be getting a hospital bed. And for me, that's disappointing. I want it to be solid, like a Brompton. Looks like a pipe dream I've been having.

And, if I could sell a few of my bikes, I MIGHT be able to afford an 8+ speed Brompton. The dream,...IT'S REAL!!!

https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/fol...n-8-speed-kit/
Old 03-14-16, 03:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by thugpipe
Nothing is ever truly original and what constitutes a copy can be very subjective depending on the level of "improvement" to the source material.
Yep. The first Brompton prototypes featured Le Petit Bi handlebars and a Di Blasi inspired underfold rear triangle. Subsequent prototypes were improved by adopting the Di Blasi Avia curved main frame (yes, the very feature Brompton claims to have 'copyrighted') and the Dahon patented side folding handlepost.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brompton prototypes.jpg (66.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-14-16, 04:48 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Yep. The first Brompton prototypes featured Le Petit Bi handlebars and a Di Blasi inspired underfold rear triangle. Subsequent prototypes were improved by adopting the Di Blasi Avia curved main frame (yes, the very feature Brompton claims to have 'copyrighted') and the Dahon patented side folding handlepost.
Speaking of witch…

"What's in the exhibition?

… The earliest prototype Brompton in existence…"
https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/cycle-revolution

See you there, *****es.
Attached Images
cycle-revolution-7.jpg (38.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-14-16, 05:34 PM
leoho5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
1980s Chromoly steel instead of 1970s gas pipe, 1990s latches instead of 1970s screw knobs, a side-folding or forward nesting saddle to reduce folded size (see various iterations of the Curl over the last nine years), a level rear rack (again, see the Curl), move production out of London (world's most expensive manufacturing location?) to Kingston Upon Hull, reducing manufacturing cost - either cut the price, making the product attainable for more consumers, or use the delta for improved componentry.

Oh, and on the subject of rear OLD/folded size: the Sturmey-Archer 120mm OLD SRF-3 hub on one of my bikes measures ~half inch wider from axle nut to indicator chain than my Sturmey-Archer 135mm OLD XRK8(W) does from axle nut to axle nut.
Other Brompton improvements I would propose: 1) eliminating the hinge clamp plates from twirling around when tightening/un-tightening (as some aftermarket products have), 2) having more frame clearance to be able to easily mount tires greater than 1.5" if needed, 3) having better quality mudguards that don't crack so easily, 4) switching to an allen key brake cable pinch bolt for ease of use and not having to carry an extra 10mm wrench around, 5) fixing the relative unsteadiness when the bike is in folded mode, 6) putting some sort of protective layer on the inside of the front plastic hook so it doesn't scratch up the rear triangle. Now I'm feeling a bit petty.
Old 03-14-16, 07:37 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
so, in this newest of your erroneous tech analogies, you're actually trying to claim that dahon, the world's largest maker of folding bicycles is somehow the little start-up company forced to mimic brompton, the corporate goliath?

"I had no other choice but to copy the product of the corporate giant that is brompton. it was the only way i could gain market share. i'm just trying to feed my family, dammit!" - david hon, local bicycle merchant and family man.

dahon isn't a company "getting it's start". that's just nonsense.

all of your analogies are godzilla vs mecha-godzilla. dahon is at least ten times the size of brompton.

show me the analogy where dahon is that giant eyeball monster vs brompton who is hayata in that one episode where he can't change into ultraman. then you'll have something!

again, i'll ask the question, where is this capitalist unicorn that vomits forth the quasi-communist rainbow brompton copy made from hydro-formed aluminum with disc brakes, telescopic stem, 130mm drop outs, and built-in espresso machine for $500?

protip: it's a fantasy.
And that matters how? I love you man but ya gotta start reading between the lines.

Clearly other forumers here "get it". It doesn't matter if it's versus King Kong or Curious George.

With a little research - something you clearly are amazing at but chose to be selective about to make your flawed points - you'd see there have always been challengers to the Brompton clone throne, not all of them legit, but challengers nonetheless: Neobike, Flamingo, MIT, Chedech, Tyrell and surely a host of far-lesser-known China brands.

Picking out Dahon to hang your gifs on is quite unworthy of your genius.

There's nothing wrong with the clones fighting for a spot on the lower rungs of the ladder. The Brompton branding can simply continue to be the venerable Rolls Royce of the folding world, while the underdogs duke it out with shiny new "tech" every year. Having half a dozen companies trying to "out-think" each other in terms of improving the fold is better than letting Appl-, I mean Brompton, unilaterally dictate the flow. It also has the added bonus of keeping Brompton on their toes.

And that's a good thing.

Last edited by keyven; 03-29-16 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 04:54 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1
Old 03-16-16, 04:38 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote "The Brompton branding can simply continue to be the respected Rolls Royce of the folding world"

Not in this world.....
Old 03-16-16, 06:05 AM
Winfried

Add OriBikes to the mix.

Products | ORi Life Style Folding Bikes
Old 03-16-16, 02:04 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Au contraire. A lot of commuters would benefit from a $€500-700 folding bike as convenient as the Brompton.
This. Alot of customers have been turned off by the price.

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Mezzo did provide a brompton beater but Brompton kidnapped any dissenters, and brain washed them all in their UFO flying abduction facilities.........
I escaped but no one believes me.
I do. Still kicking myself for selling my D10.

just to clarify, what improvements do you think need to be made to the brompton?
1) brakes need a quick release. They wouldn't even need to change the caliper,it's really not a big deal to design a lever with one.

2) tensioner that remains on the bike when the wheel is removed

3) pick a style of Ezy-wheel,and stick with it. Then use the same size for both front and rear.

4) one 3spd hub,that can take two cogs or one and a spacer.

Bunch of other issues I've seen,but too lazy to type. Our Brompton guy at the shop whimpers when they come in due to the fact that nothing is ever simple with them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-16-16, 02:46 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Personally, I'd prefer a STOCK (I know it's a fairytale) Brompton with disc brakes, and a Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal geared hub. I'd take that over the (vaporware) Dahon Curl any day.
Old 03-20-16, 02:44 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find my 2 Bromptons immensely reliable and the bike mechanics I use have absolutely no issues working on them! It's like car mechanics in that people need to train and learn about different variants and be capable and adaptable.
Old 03-20-16, 03:32 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with mullandy. If it goes to a Brompton dealer they have all the kit and knowledge to sort Bromptons out. Taken to non folder shops they often dont like folders of any description to work on.
Old 03-26-16, 04:37 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
and the bike mechanics I use have absolutely no issues working on them!
I think they're just not telling you how much of pain it is to work on them. Or they've never had to put aftermarket parts on them. Our Brompton guy knows them inside and out,and still whimpers every time one comes in for service.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-26-16, 05:36 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Personally, I'd prefer a STOCK (I know it's a fairytale) Brompton with disc brakes, and a Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal geared hub. I'd take that over the (vaporware) Dahon Curl any day.
Mine,(for road use) would be my dualdrive ,bull bared ,brifter, rolling rack mezzo. But with better rear brakes, less sticking out folding stem and able to take a front bag.
Made from carbon fibre to get it down to about 11-10 kg or so.

Suspension removable elastemors would also be good.
Old 03-26-16, 08:31 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Mine,(for road use) would be my dualdrive ,bull bared ,brifter, rolling rack mezzo. But with better rear brakes, less sticking out folding stem and able to take a front bag.
Made from carbon fibre to get it down to about 11-10 kg or so.

Suspension removable elastemors would also be good.
Does sound good. I'm in need of the smallest fold,...
Old 04-01-16, 10:08 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
just to clarify, what improvements do you think need to be made to the brompton?
Other people listed a bunch of possible improvements. It could also be as simple as price -- Brompton portability at a significantly lower price. Price being not so much a quality of product improvement so much as a marketing improvement.

That Dahon is trying to introduce a competing bike indicates that their engineers also think improvements can be made.

That Dahon has not brought it to market yet indicates that they can't introduce an improved Brompton at a competitive price, or that the alleged improvements are enough to justify a price equal to or greater than Brompton's, or that they can even beat Brompton at their own game...
Old 04-01-16, 12:30 PM
Winfried

Isn't part of the price tag of the Brompton due to 1) the fact that it's made in the UK instead of China and 2) there's no competition for that kind of bike?
Old 04-01-16, 02:16 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Isn't part of the price tag of the Brompton due to 1) the fact that it's made in the UK instead of China and 2) there's no competition for that kind of bike?
With respect to #1 ... I think yes. With #2 ... competition is a little tricky to measure since there are substitutes, just not perfect substitutes.

But judging from the price of the old Merc, the total difference is large.
Old 04-01-16, 02:52 PM
Winfried

If you need a really compact folder to take into the subway/bus/train during rush hour that still rides mostly like a regular bike (so Strida doesn't really count), there's currently no alternative to the Brompton.

Although cheaper, the Dahon Curve D3 is too bulky.
Old 04-01-16, 03:34 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you need a really compact folder to take into the subway/bus/train during rush hour that still rides mostly like a regular bike (so Strida doesn't really count), there's currently no alternative to the Brompton.

Other than Mezzo,ori,birdie, Diblasi...............
Curve works if its a racked version as it stands on its end.
Old 04-01-16, 03:42 PM
Winfried

Nope.
  • Mezzo/ori : no lug to carry bag in the front. Not a detail when commuting
  • Birdy : too bulky. I had one. No lug in the front.
  • DiBlasi : crap. No lug in the front
  • Curve : Rear rack is not a good alternative to lug in the front. Besides, only has three speeds.

Attached Images
metro-greve1.jpg (47.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-01-16, 05:29 PM
leoho5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I completely agree with your assessment. I have a Curve SL and although only slightly larger than a Brompton, it won't fit in an airline legal suitcase unless the wheels and mudguards are removed which is a hassle. The Brompton fits into the suitcase without any disassembly.
Old 04-01-16, 07:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tds101
I'm in need of the smallest fold...
Hard to beat the Brompton then...

Attached Images
smallest fold.jpg (39.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-02-16, 02:03 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote "there's currently no alternative to the Brompton."
Re busy trains.
Keep saying it if you believe it.
I dont know how many times i have commuted on very busy trains on these alternatives to Bromptons. Many people are able to ride on busy train with non brompton bikes.
I must be wrong because you say so.

Brompton does not handle like a normal bike in many peoples opinions. In many ways the alteratives I suggest have less compromises in this respect than a Brompton. There are differnt luggage carring options available for all the bikes mentioned. Ori can have a front rack. Birdie has large front double pannier racks and a much bigger rear rack than a brompton. Diblasi has a front rack available as well as a rear rack. Curve rear rack is about the same size as Bromptons smaller rack. Mezzo rear rack is about 50% larger than bromptons and is a better Quick release system. Curve is drilled for a front truss also and can be upgraded to more speeds and there is /was the curve sl with a 9 speed 9 tooth cassette system.

This will run and run ad norsa.

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-02-16 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-02-16, 04:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

Isn't part of the price tag of the Brompton due to 1) the fact that it's made in the UK...?
Not just the UK, but in London! There couldn't be too many more expensive locations for a manufacturing operation in the entire world, and I'm at a loss to enumerate any positive benefit that this additional cost burden provides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.