Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

c. 1940 Superior Lightweight + research (aka long but with pics too)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 08:35 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts

Some may recall I waso n a roll early this year and picked up an older Schwinn Superior mid Feb, knew zero about them. It has easily been the most research I have done on a model thus far, and that doesn’t include all the work it needed or searching for parts. But first, thanks to @PastorBobninh for helping as I would have never completed this.

Basic background, the Paramount and Superior were introduced in 1939, although Paramount has some prior year prototypes. The Superior is second in line and filet brazed vs lugged, and just above the New World. These three were made in separate area of the factory and Chrome Molybedum was used to build them.

I worked to determine year and it is not easy. I believe I am pretty dang close though. researched and had threads here, the Cabe and Schwinnbikeforum regarding different questions as they arose as some contradicted others. I then narrowed down the differences, timeframes and reviewed catalogs and images. Not easy, these pre and early post war bikes seem to be few and far between, they were limited due to higher range price and although the cro-mo is strong and the seat tube is 27.0 or so, the forks were rail thin, a fatal design flaw. It’s almost like they tried to design to match the stays versus considering the strength needed at the fork.

As for the year, receiving some help from another Superior owner it was determined approximately 2000 (highest number I could locate online was in 1900’s) were sold prewar/war time, so I used average sales of known Superior serial numbers to get the circa. I worked up a couple ways. If little to no units were sold after 1942 (likely since Schwinn stopped most production during the war) then it would average into 1940. If units were sold through 1945, I averaged over seven years and it fell into 1941. This is not pinpoint accurate as sales per year vary, but as close as I could get to figuring these out. The consensus online based on serial review is that prewar models were A+#(Paramount), B (Superior) or C(New World).

Schwinn catalogs date back to the late 1800’s and ran until 1942 (at least known). In 1942 Schwinn all but stopped production and ran limited models (there is an image of a folding Superior looking paratrooper bike floating around online)

Schwinn History: 1940 to 1949

It wasn’t until late 1945 that a new factory opened and they began producing bikes in mass again. The only catalog pages available are for the Superior and they almost look like new old stock as they match pre-war and were not shown again until 47’ or 48’ and had changed. The 46’ full catalog came out for postwar bikes and listed all changes touting all new post war features.

More to come....
Old 05-19-16, 08:40 PM
Bikerider007

As for Prewar vs postwar ID
-Even though in 46’ it states bikes will begin having removable seat clamps, Superior had a removable seat clamp prewar. This is evidenced by the images from the catalogs.

39’ Superior (seat clamp painted to match bike)

40’ Superior (Chrome)

-Tabs for the fenders on prewar bikes are higher up the fork, post war (except Paramount 45’) they are lower and eventually all go to the axle direct like standard models do.

39’ Superior

46’ Paramount Sports Tourist

-Only the Superior and Paramount had these tabs welded to the fork and not to axle. World did not appear to, even prewar

- Paramount and Superior had track drops prewar, World did not have any years, Superior was only for prewar

- it was suggested the continental replaced the Superior in the catalog post war. Superior had flyer releasing its return in 1949 (flyer ad announcing was located), from there I only saw a 1950 and then they seemed to disappear until the early 60’s and ran until the 80’s.

-Early post war Superiors have the forward facing drops as announced all bikes would in 46’ (excluding Paramount track)

-All these models offered a Racer (track) or Sports Tourer one year or another.

So that’s it, if anyone read this and can add or point out any corrections to make this thread right, it’s appreciated. General inout is always appreciated as well.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-20-16 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Caps etc
Old 05-19-16, 08:43 PM
Bikerider007

Orig pics.

CL ad.

Seatpost-had to weld a bar across, spin it (aka beat) and pull out

Cool copper coated bb cup

The break down and pieces coming together

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-19-16 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:44 PM
Bikerider007

At this point I am not sure if I will take this bike any further, but you never know. My goal was to just make it a rider and it is! And after I rode it I felt like staying outside and playing all day :-).

THE RIDE!!!!!!

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-19-16 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:57 PM
Bikerider007

Edit: I can't edit initial post...The only catalog pages available (in 45') are for the **Paramount (not Superior) and they almost look like new old stock as they match pre-war and 46’ on changed.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-19-16 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 05:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
@Bikerider007 well done! Great work on both the build and the research.

Very interesting on the '49 flyer you shared. This is the first I've seen this and it fits with the gold ladies Superior that I own (now all in a parts). As you mention, none of the online catalogs mention a Superior in the late '40s early '50s. The SA-AW hub date on mine is '49 and it is gold, which is mentioned as a color option.

Two small corrections on the New World Models: First, the New Worlds were not made with "Chrome Molybedum" as you mention in the first post, second paragraph. They were made with straight gauge 1010 steel (IIRC), which was basically the same as what will be used on '60s-'80s Varsities and Continentals.

Second, the New World did have rear facing track drops for the first 2 years or so before they were turned 180 degrees and became forward facing.

P.S. my username is "pastorbobnlnh" not "PastorBobninh." Although I kind of like the sound of "Pastor Bo!"

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-20-16, 05:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is sweet. I may have to look for a bike this old one day. Great score and nice job.
Old 05-21-16, 03:14 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have an extra set of correct fenders if you want them.
Old 05-21-16, 04:32 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
At this point I am not sure if I will take this bike any further, but you never know. My goal was to just make it a rider and it is! And after I rode it I felt like staying outside and playing all day :-).

THE RIDE!!!!!!
Very cool extra vintage bike!

I wonder if this is one of the "liberty bikes" of the wartime period I've often heard about but never seen. What I was told is that bike manufacturers went to skinny tires to save rubber, but as a side effect they were actually much faster than the balloon tire cruisers that had been popular previously.

EDIT
A little googling has shown that there actually was a Schwinn Liberty model. It did have skinny tires during the war, but actually predated it.
Old 05-21-16, 06:12 PM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
@Bikerider007 well done! Great work on both the build and the research.

Very interesting on the '49 flyer you shared. This is the first I've seen this and it fits with the gold ladies Superior that I own (now all in a parts). As you mention, none of the online catalogs mention a Superior in the late '40s early '50s. The SA-AW hub date on mine is '49 and it is gold, which is mentioned as a color option.

Two small corrections on the New World Models: First, the New Worlds were not made with "Chrome Molybedum" as you mention in the first post, second paragraph. They were made with straight gauge 1010 steel (IIRC), which was basically the same as what will be used on '60s-'80s Varsities and Continentals.

Second, the New World did have rear facing track drops for the first 2 years or so before they were turned 180 degrees and became forward facing.

P.S. my username is "pastorbobnlnh" not "PastorBobninh." Although I kind of like the sound of "Pastor Bo!"
Thanks for the info, forgot about that type of drop.
Pastor Bo :-)

Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I have an extra set of correct fenders if you want them.
I would be interested for sure, I'll pm you thx!

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Very cool extra vintage bike!

I wonder if this is one of the "liberty bikes" of the wartime period I've often heard about but never seen. What I was told is that bike manufacturers went to skinny tires to save rubber, but as a side effect they were actually much faster than the balloon tire cruisers that had been popular previously.

EDIT
A little googling has shown that there actually was a Schwinn Liberty model. It did have skinny tires during the war, but actually predated it.
This was one someone pointed out as a war model, didn't know the other info you provided, good stuff.
Old 05-21-16, 07:02 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Lets see, I've got blue, cream or primer over burgundy...
The cream ones aen't actually Schwinn, but look pretty right.
Here are a couple of interesting links;
Lightweight Schwinn Bicycles | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange
Vintage Lightweight Bicycles | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange
Old 05-22-16, 06:49 PM
Bikerider007

Thanks sailorbenjamin. I pmd you.

I am going for it, I made a deal for the Schwinn Paramount wheels of the same vintage, extra large flange hubs and wood wheels from the late 30-s or 40s.These bikes all had the option of being built with next level up parts . Price is not cheap but right and collectible.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-23-16 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 06:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
There's something really special about these old Schwinns.

I see the future of bicycles in the Paramount and Superior, people today are now used to bikes that are lighter than the Hi-Ten bikes of even the 70s. But it's so important to realize the CrMo bike was a VERY special bike ESPECIALLY at this time- not just before the war, but the 1930s and the tail end of the Depression.

Enjoy!!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-23-16, 08:42 PM
Bikerider007

Thanks @The Golden Boy

So I picked up the Schwinn hubbed wood wheels on the way back into town. Just a mock up pretty much, not sure I will keep this way but flipped bars to drop style as mentioned in the catalog. Looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-23-16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 12:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Here is one in the Lancaster PA CL, Schwinn Superior a.s 1940's

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00h0h_zF5QqjQoeJ_600x450.jpg (53.3 KB, 79 views)
01414_5XbI0TrFq7m_600x450.jpg (14.4 KB, 73 views)
01111_iCB01X6PlT8_600x450.jpg (37.0 KB, 73 views)
00r0r_cBlxxnpYKh3_600x450.jpg (30.4 KB, 75 views)
01616_blYHSALkE0h_600x450.jpg (53.6 KB, 73 views)
00t0t_1Ui3PxDtIdX_600x450.jpg (23.4 KB, 73 views)
00606_1QD04iDJBjc_600x450.jpg (35.1 KB, 72 views)
00P0P_3EqXjO9yTuK_600x450.jpg (25.5 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by bwilli88; 05-24-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 04:49 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Well, @Bikerider007 those wheels are smoking hot! You found those locally!?! That's amazing and they look to be in great shape! Are they tubular tires and if so are they 700c? They fit the bike so well and now you can install the caliper brakes. Be careful on the brake blocks/pads you use. Wood rims need a certain type, IIRC, but which type I don't recall. Felt or leather maybe?
@bwilli88 the Superior in PA would be a neat acquisition, but the price is beyond reach for a bike that could hardly ever be ridden here in the mountains of NH.

In both cases, I'd lean towards installing a Brooks saddle, but that's just me.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-24-16, 09:54 AM
Bikerider007

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Here is one in the Lancaster PA CL, Schwinn Superior a.s 1940's

The stem on that alone is worth some $$$, its as difficult to find as a large flange hub set. This is a nice racer version, needs orig cranks, wheels and to remove the derailleur and brakes but is not overpriced much if at all. I would not mind keeping my Sports Tourer as is and adding the wood wheels to this. We'll see how long it sits and pricing and it could be moving out west.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Well, @Bikerider007 those wheels are smoking hot! You found those locally!?! That's amazing and they look to be in great shape! Are they tubular tires and if so are they 700c? They fit the bike so well and now you can install the caliper brakes. Be careful on the brake blocks/pads you use. Wood rims need a certain type, IIRC, but which type I don't recall. Felt or leather maybe?
@bwilli88 the Superior in PA would be a neat acquisition, but the price is beyond reach for a bike that could hardly ever be ridden here in the mountains of NH.

In both cases, I'd lean towards installing a Brooks saddle, but that's just me.
Yes they are 700c Ghisallo. I bought them from my collector friend, I have had interest in them even before the Superior just because of the age and hubs are so big they look like a rotary phone dialer. lol. Then someone with a Paramount wanted them and he held for him, but he fell out as he could not find the parts to his old frame.

I probably won't keep them on. It rides so nice already with the larger tires and is different than what I currently have with my other bikes. The Expander hub is cool in itself as well. I tried a Brooks pro on for ya Bob, should have taken pic but kind of makes it look newer and more like a track bike. If I do a custom and repaint/match at some point, I might go that way but for now will probably leave the bike catalog style. Thanks again for all your help and input.