Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Going to start hiking

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Going to start hiking

Old 07-04-19, 01:32 AM
GreatShake868

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hiking is a good idea, it gets your muscles working in a different way. It's actually quite dangerous to go hiking. Numerous factors come into play if you want a safe hiking experience. Thunderstorms, lightning, a surprise snowstorm, dangerous wildlife, or maybe an unstable rock at the edge of a cliff, are only some the hazards you could encounter while out on the trail. Having the proper gear, making sure that you're in good physical condition, paying close attention to your surroundings, and using good judgment are all essential for a safe and enjoyable hiking trip. The proper gear is essential, I know a fair bit about hiking after reading up on places as https://huntingfishingplus.com/ to see the detailed guides offered there.
Know where to get medical care. Ask a Ranger if need be. Knowing the nearest hospital or clinic prior to an accident could save someone's life. It's also a good idea to carry your health insurance cards with you. Something I got to know from personal experience - carry a small flashlight or headlamp. Darkness arrives much quicker in the mountains. If you have trouble on the trail, you run the risk of finishing your hike in the dark, which is not an ideal way to end of your hiking day.

Last edited by GreatShake868; 07-04-19 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13798 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 2,819 Posts
That's some good fear mongering right there.
Old 07-04-19, 11:23 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,183 Posts
I got my Swiss Army knife at all times actually a handy tool that I fixed a damsel in distress when she broke the tab of her Reb Bull. The Swiss Army knife came to the rescue. But then she got struck by lighting I’m just kidding of course. If you are prepared and stay within you’re abilities you will be safe.
Old 07-04-19, 06:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Both of my friends cancelled for Sahale Peak. I don't know anybody else I would want to climb that mountain with. I'm thinking about doing it solo. It involves 5,200' of elevation gain over 7 miles, 1 mile of glacier travel, an easy 4th class scramble to the summit, and a rappel from solid anchors. Then back down to the car. The only thing I'm concerned about is punching through a snow bridge, but people say there aren't crevasses unless you wind up off route.

Probably go Saturday the 13th.
Old 07-04-19, 11:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Both of my friends cancelled for Sahale Peak. I don't know anybody else I would want to climb that mountain with. I'm thinking about doing it solo. It involves 5,200' of elevation gain over 7 miles, 1 mile of glacier travel, an easy 4th class scramble to the summit, and a rappel from solid anchors. Then back down to the car. The only thing I'm concerned about is punching through a snow bridge, but people say there aren't crevasses unless you wind up off route.

Probably go Saturday the 13th.
I just hike but you are mountaineering Solo? I wouldn稚 but I知 not experienced. Anyway it is your call just be safe!
Old 07-05-19, 08:28 AM
dynodonn 
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post

High point of the hike

Don稚 laugh too much lol

My survival gear
OK, OK, I won't laugh to hard at the elevation sign.......gotta start with baby steps...........pretty much what I was doing when I hit the wall at 14,000 ft. ( heavily panting)
Old 07-12-19, 11:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Did Earl Peak last weekend. Long approach the way we came in. Kind of tedious on the way back out. A lot of fun once we left the trail.

Really disturbing how little snow there is on the Enchantments.

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-16-19, 11:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Starting to get into the rock gardens.

Hidden Lake

I like these signs.

Evening light.

Old 07-17-19, 01:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

11.86 miles of hiking yesterday, it was hot. Feeling it today . Must have sweated out gallons of water. Saw only one other soul on a dual suspension MTB. Probably get on my gravel bike this evening and sweat some more. Cool pics of the Cascades.
Old 07-17-19, 01:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Brawndo's got electrolytes, it's what plants crave!!

When I sweat a lot, I need to replenish my salt, outside in thirsty forever and feel kind of crappy.
Old 08-02-19, 08:40 AM
kellyon
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't pack too much. A too heavy backpack takes much enjoyment out of hiking. And don't forget to take walkie talkies. That's useful stuff while hiking with friends. You can check reviews about best walkie-talkies for hiking before purchasing. I also like hiking. Planning a solo trip to well known trails this year.

Last edited by kellyon; 08-02-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 10:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

I did an Enchantments traverse this past weekend with a buddy. Started up the Colchuck trail at 6:50 am on Saturday and came out at the road 5:30 Sunday morning. Never stopped for more than 10 minutes. I saw a shooting star from the spillway between Snow Lakes. I've wanted to do this for years, but long been intimidated. I didn't think it was possible except for the very strongest few. I've shared these pics before, but hope some in foo will enjoy them. I know @noisebeam has looked in this thread.

No trip to the Enchantments would be complete without goats.

Aasgard

I didn't realize the upper basin would be a river!

Perfection Lake (I think)

I was going for contrast between the warm evening light at the top of the frame, and the cold blue water. I wound up cropping from the top and maybe ruined the effect I was going for.

My buddy, in the lower basin. Again with the warm/cool contrast.

Did I mention the waterfalls?

It was very important for us to get below the infamous via ferrata section before dark. They put rebar in after somebody died here descending in the rain. Neither of us wanted to test our luck descending by headlamp. But we made it in plenty of time and didn't need to use the rods; slabby fun land is made of grippy granite.

Jack takes in the very long march ahead of us as sunset spreads across the far ridge.

This is what the last ten miles looked like.

Old 08-02-19, 10:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

A mom and her kid.

Cute kid. Different goats unless they can teleport.

Jack looking at our immediate future.

Old 08-06-19, 07:34 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Wow, I don't have stuff like that to hike through, but I am about 2 miles from access to the North Country Trail in PA.

11 days of camping and riding around Lake Ontario last week broke my bike. It needs a lot and I'm divorced with kids, so there are higher priorities for my money with the lack of overtime currently. Bike is down so I am thinking about taking up hiking the North Country Trail. I just wish I had a way of hiking out to another access and getting back home instead of hiking out and back on the same section.

I now have a dehydrator and a bunch of dehydrated meals from the Lake Ontario trip. I use to pack up a sandwich and ride out to the lake for dinner after work, going to start hiking with my camp stove and dehydrated meals and have dinner in the woods instead.
Old 08-07-19, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

My buddy sent me this from the 'Chants.

I'm the one in blue.

He says my speed tripled when I saw goats ahead.
Old 08-07-19, 12:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

I did Trapper Peak this weekend.

Newhalem ("goat trapping place") in the center. Terror Peak on the far left. I've always wanted to spend some time in Terror Basin.

A puddle.

Lower, Middle, and Upper Thornton Lakes. Wildfire smoke coming down the Sauk Valley, I couldn't even see Whitehorse.

Wider version.

Old 08-09-19, 03:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I did an Enchantments traverse this past weekend with a buddy. Started up the Colchuck trail at 6:50 am on Saturday and came out at the road 5:30 Sunday morning. Never stopped for more than 10 minutes. I saw a shooting star from the spillway between Snow Lakes. I've wanted to do this for years, but long been intimidated. I didn't think it was possible except for the very strongest few. I've shared these pics before, but hope some in foo will enjoy them. I know @noisebeam has looked in this thread.

Fantastic! As always.

(Note I use NoScript w/FF and it blocked the 'mention' until I used a different browser and just saw it.)

Last edited by noisebeam; 08-09-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 11:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

I'm going back for Little Annapurna this weekend.

I must be out of my ******g mind.

I'm even debating the wisdom of bringing an SLR with a landscape and a goat (135 mm f/2) lens.
Old 09-09-19, 10:40 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 932 Posts
Went with the family for a quick 6mi hike in the Superstition Mountains as it is finally cooling down a bit. We encountered three different rattlesnakes. They were all super aggressive/defensive for some reasons, maybe due to drought and recent fires in area? Normally they stay quiet until one is quite near and then give a little warning rattle, but this time they all shook up a racket from many tens of feet away, got up on their hind tails and one even moved toward us.

This one had us stuck on our loop trail as with cliffs on each side of there was no way to pass until it made its way up the trail. You can't out wait them and when I gently rolled rocks toward it to encourage it to move it stood its ground. Eventually, like 15min later, it moved up trail about 10 feet and we found a way to climb up the cliff and around it. We almost turned around.

This one crossed the trail earlier, but instead of hiding in the bush turned back toward us and reared up.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-09-19, 11:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 793 Posts
Wow those guys look mean.
Old 09-09-19, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Great photos!

The ones we have aren't aggressive, like yours normally. But they trigger a very primal response. The first time I saw one in the wild I was exhausted coming back from a backpacking trip that was at my limit at the time, I saw and heard the rattler and ran 5 feet up the trail before I realized what I was running from. Like you, I waited it out.
Old 09-15-19, 10:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

I just found out there's route up Forbidden that you don't need a rope for. Wish I wasn't injured. Next July, when the days are long, and my job expires.