Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno Pro

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno Pro

Old 01-18-21, 10:46 PM
rkntoy1234

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any idea what max tire clearance is? Looking at picking one up.
Old 01-19-21, 12:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by rkntoy1234
So you somehow found this forum likely through a search engine and posted a question that would be better answered through the sellers site. I put the text in Google and boom found the page for their bike and it listed the clearance. Way easier than going through all this, unless of course the plan is to join the forum and become an active member which is great and you should and I am sorry to be harsh we just see a lot of one time posters here who go through the effort to resurrect a dormant thread for no real reason.

Keep in mind that this bike is not made by Motobecane of France, Bikes Direct took the name to give their current bike some prestige and history behind them so you accidentally mistake them for quality. Also they are not on sale, the "sale price" is just what it always goes for but it tricks your brain into thinking you are getting this screaming deal and nobody else knows. I also loved their WTF which is trying to copy Surly in their "Fatties Fit Fine" mantra they have had forever and a day.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-19-21, 01:56 PM
rkntoy1234

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So you somehow found this forum likely through a search engine and posted a question that would be better answered through the sellers site. I put the text in Google and boom found the page for their bike and it listed the clearance. Way easier than going through all this, unless of course the plan is to join the forum and become an active member which is great and you should and I am sorry to be harsh we just see a lot of one time posters here who go through the effort to resurrect a dormant thread for no real reason.

Keep in mind that this bike is not made by Motobecane of France, Bikes Direct took the name to give their current bike some prestige and history behind them so you accidentally mistake them for quality. Also they are not on sale, the "sale price" is just what it always goes for but it tricks your brain into thinking you are getting this screaming deal and nobody else knows. I also loved their WTF which is trying to copy Surly in their "Fatties Fit Fine" mantra they have had forever and a day.
Yup - found the Bike Direct site and the tire size lists a range so I thought I would ask people who actually have the bike. Also watched youtube videos and followed every link could find where info might be posted. Manufacturer sites are dubious at best when trying to figure out max tires sizes - nothing better than people who actually have the bike. And I have bought from BikeDirect before - which is also why I am asking as the tires size range they quoted were incorrect. So...thanks for the help.

Thread is less than a year old. I also followed up with other spots that had reviews. And this question was also asked farther back up in the thread (obviously before it went "dormant") and nobody answered.

If you don't want to answer that is fine. I have helped out people on a number of other forums that need info I have regardless of whether or not they were a first time poster. If you don't want first time posters to ask questions maybe stop allowing people to sign up. You sure make me want to stick around.
Likes For rkntoy1234:
Old 01-19-21, 03:59 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
If think it's a tough crowd now, you should have seen the days when a surly kaiju named Scrod led the welcome wagon
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 01-19-21, 05:39 PM
rkntoy1234

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Pirate4x4 forum used to be pretty brutal with new folks.
Old 01-19-21, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Yup - found the Bike Direct site and the tire size lists a range so I thought I would ask people who actually have the bike. Also watched youtube videos and followed every link could find where info might be posted. Manufacturer sites are dubious at best when trying to figure out max tires sizes - nothing better than people who actually have the bike. And I have bought from BikeDirect before - which is also why I am asking as the tires size range they quoted were incorrect. So...thanks for the help.

Thread is less than a year old. I also followed up with other spots that had reviews. And this question was also asked farther back up in the thread (obviously before it went "dormant") and nobody answered.

If you don't want to answer that is fine. I have helped out people on a number of other forums that need info I have regardless of whether or not they were a first time poster. If you don't want first time posters to ask questions maybe stop allowing people to sign up. You sure make me want to stick around.
It isn't that I didn't want to answer it is that the answer is already on their own product website. Most manufacturers know what tires will fit on their bikes you can sometimes go larger but there are so many variations in tires and rims and such that it is impossible to list all the tires and sizing the bike might fit. Also cramming a tire that barely fits and could cause damage to a bike doesn't make sense.

I get the rest of what you are saying (the thread was technically still dormant yes newer but dormant which is not an insult to anyone) but it did get answered in the top link which links directly to the bike:"Features "WTF: Wide Tires Fit" clearance for up to 42c (front)/ 29x1.7-2.1 tires (back)* (*not guaranteed to fit all tires, please ensure proper clearance)" That last note is perfect. As nobody can predict tires and rims and what will or will not fit and even someone who has it can say well I crammed a CST cheapodo tire in it and it is 700x43 but unless you are using the same exact set up and there aren't major variations in the rim and tire construction (which can happen with cheaper production) it could be slightly different but I cannot imagine that BD is going to be so wildly off.

What size tires are you looking to fit because maybe this bike isn't the right one? If you want a mountain bike this is a pretty rad option: https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9 (they do a cheaper geared option which is good SS MTB should be quality, why not we deserve it)
Old 01-19-21, 06:28 PM
rkntoy1234

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It isn't that I didn't want to answer it is that the answer is already on their own product website. Most manufacturers know what tires will fit on their bikes you can sometimes go larger but there are so many variations in tires and rims and such that it is impossible to list all the tires and sizing the bike might fit. Also cramming a tire that barely fits and could cause damage to a bike doesn't make sense.

I get the rest of what you are saying (the thread was technically still dormant yes newer but dormant which is not an insult to anyone) but it did get answered in the top link which links directly to the bike:"Features "WTF: Wide Tires Fit" clearance for up to 42c (front)/ 29x1.7-2.1 tires (back)* (*not guaranteed to fit all tires, please ensure proper clearance)" That last note is perfect. As nobody can predict tires and rims and what will or will not fit and even someone who has it can say well I crammed a CST cheapodo tire in it and it is 700x43 but unless you are using the same exact set up and there aren't major variations in the rim and tire construction (which can happen with cheaper production) it could be slightly different but I cannot imagine that BD is going to be so wildly off.
Never mind - you only read what you wanted to read from my response. I had clarified the manufacturer website thing. If you need more details for that part - I ordered a fatbike from BikesDirect that was supposed to 4.8" tires because the website said it. Well, they didn't even come close. So I helped other people on MTBR that asked about tire clearance on that frame even if they were new people.

I'm not new to biking, so I know how they work and what the different types of bikes are. I even have an Air9 already in my quiver of bikes. And different rim widths have an effect on actual measurement. And I also know that just because 2 different tire manufacturers have the same size tires posted on their websites that the tires will most likely measure out differently on the same rim.

It's a lot less work to just not reply if you don't know the answer.
Likes For rkntoy1234:
Old 01-19-21, 09:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Never mind - you only read what you wanted to read from my response. I had clarified the manufacturer website thing. If you need more details for that part - I ordered a fatbike from BikesDirect that was supposed to 4.8" tires because the website said it. Well, they didn't even come close. So I helped other people on MTBR that asked about tire clearance on that frame even if they were new people.

I'm not new to biking, so I know how they work and what the different types of bikes are. I even have an Air9 already in my quiver of bikes. And different rim widths have an effect on actual measurement. And I also know that just because 2 different tire manufacturers have the same size tires posted on their websites that the tires will most likely measure out differently on the same rim.

It's a lot less work to just not reply if you don't know the answer.
No I read your response. I responded and even did my own clarification on the whole sizing issue which is the crux of your question and it seems you agree but also disagree.
Old 01-20-21, 11:08 AM
rkntoy1234

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No I read your response. I responded and even did my own clarification on the whole sizing issue which is the crux of your question and it seems you agree but also disagree.
Nope - pretty clear that you tie everything back to the website being gospel even though I pointed out just one example of where it is not. Agree but also disagree? Don't think so. Still saying that best way to know for sure is to ask people that actually have the bike - which you do not. Question has not changed. I am smart enough to adjust what people tried (tire and rim) or if someone can take measurements of an actual frame I can translate that to tire and rim combos.
Likes For rkntoy1234:
Old 05-19-22, 11:56 AM
oleritter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is always a valid question, as manufacturers (in my experience) seem to mess this up more often than not, or are so vague as to be meaningless.

I have this bike and I basically stripped it and built it completely custom. The tire info BD gives is incorrect.

The front wheel has more clearance than the rear, which is opposite of what BD claims. On my bike (front) I have a Panaracer Gravel King SS that measures a full 2" inflated on a 27mm inner width rim. This fits comfortably in the front with at least 6mm to spare per side.

The same tire on the same rim, however, was tighter in the rear, specifically at the chain stays. The chain stays are the narrowest point. A tire that measures a full 2" inflated is too close for comfort IMO for the rear. I was able to find another 27.5" x 47mm that runs a touch small and is an acceptable fit.

My recommendation <to be safe> is sticking to a 42mm tire (700c or 650b), but know that the front fork is a little more generous than that.
Likes For oleritter:
Old 09-09-22, 11:38 AM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using mine (flat bar pro) as a commuter. Does anyone have experience mounting both a rear rack and fender with the single set of bosses? Disc Caliper Clearance?
Old 10-22-22, 07:05 AM
diff

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got this bike in the non pro version. The pros are all solid out and if this frame fits me good, will likely upgrade mostly everything anyway.
​​​​​​
2023 56cm super stealth dark color

They seem to run small. But the geo should be good for me.

Will post pics. Should be here Monday. For $329 its a steal. $363 with tax shipped.
Old 10-27-22, 12:26 AM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The fork came horribly warped. I think it was a welding mistake. The box wasn't damaged. There is no way it got all twisted up like that during any shipping.

Emailed them with pics and hopefully they will just send a new one. And fast.

If anyone has a fork that would work for this bike for cheap, let me know. As long as it's 1 1/8th and fits a 9mm qr, I think it would work.

Will update on the fork and what bikes direct does.
Old 10-28-22, 07:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Not ever going to purchase one, but I have to say I could see how someone would be tempted to. If for no other reason than to get a CRMO frame with disc brakes on the cheap. It would make sense if you had a bucket-full of better components laying around to buy it and immediately upgrade. Buying it and then buying components is less attractive and more expensive I think. The cast-off parts could easily be sold on Craigslist in all likelihood.
Old 10-28-22, 04:56 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They are sending a new fork. Will be here in a few days.

Black only for replacement. It's fine.

And the wait continues....
Old 10-28-22, 10:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Not ever going to purchase one, but I have to say I could see how someone would be tempted to. If for no other reason than to get a CRMO frame with disc brakes on the cheap. It would make sense if you had a bucket-full of better components laying around to buy it and immediately upgrade. Buying it and then buying components is less attractive and more expensive I think. The cast-off parts could easily be sold on Craigslist in all likelihood.
A lot of Chromium Molybdenum frames out there it is becoming less and less special. You can certainly get some nice frames but plenty of just heavy boat anchors that use thicker gauge cheaper CrMo tubing or some mix. A bike of some sort came through the shop and I was like oh that is OK it is CrMo at least but it was so heavy it might has well have been gaspipe HiTen.
Old 11-02-22, 10:15 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What a pain, but like the frame.
​​​​​​Fork was uncut of course. They sent me a fork with wider clearance.

It makes horrid clunky noises. I am certain it's coming from the freewheel. Seen some threads about bikes direct freewheels.

They refunded me back $20.

Gonna check a few bike shops local to see if they have a freewheel. Or order one.

Rode it a bit. Geo is good for me. Definitely need better parts. I had some lower end surly and specialized bikes. Man, bikes direct takes low level parts to a new level.
Old 11-03-22, 06:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You get what you pay for is generally true. And so compromises must be made. Would be nice (for most of us) if BD would sell the frame by itself at a cheap price, but then guess what? The quality would likely go down as a result. That's the way it works.
There is Bike Island, where BD sells frame sets, components and dinged up bikes. You can probably find good deals there from time to time.

And besides, there are so many who purchase a bike and then seldom ride it that the cheapo components are likely just fine for them. I have dabbled in classic and vintage bikes for some time and it is amazing the cream puffs you find hanging in basements and/or garages which have very little use. Nothing has changed on that end.

Good luck with the project. Show us pics!

Last edited by TugaDude; 11-03-22 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-03-22, 01:13 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It was the freewheel. Riding very smooth now.

Happy that was the issue.

Not a bad bike for $350.

Gonna look over craigslist for some good deals. All the parts suck hard.

Really digging the singlespeed. Gear ratio is pretty nice too.