Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the oldest tool that you use frequently?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is the oldest tool that you use frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 04:07 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
1. My 1984 Minoura dishing tool.
2. My 1984 Zefal HPX 4 frame pump.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-07-21, 07:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
It looks like Park is finally coming out with an update to the DAG 2.2 which appears to address the usability issues. Keep an eye out for the DAG-3. The pivot loos the same, but the measuring pin looks more like the one one the EVT Ultra-true arc. It was a blurry photo, but it looks like a major improvement.
They do tend to update and fix their tools to make them better in a lot of cases. I still like the Abbey version though.
Old 02-07-21, 07:40 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
They do tend to update and fix their tools to make them better in a lot of cases. I still like the Abbey version though.
I like it, but it is annoying to have one hand on it at all times. If you get distracted or if you forget to get the wheel straight in the dropouts, you have to remove the tool to do another task, or the handle will slide off and fall on the floor.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 02-07-21, 11:15 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I have a 6" x 48' belt sander that my grandfather bought used around 1950 that I used for years in my Cabinet shop. These days I use it to grind cable cover ends to get rid of burs. I also use it to sand down old brake shoes to renew them. There is also a grinding wheel of the same vintage with a buffing and polishing wheel installed on either side of the mandrel that I use for all the shiny bits and an old Wood handled screw driver I inherited from my dad. I still have the set of open end wrenches I bought when I got my first job helping out at an Auto/ Electric Shop in Oakland in 1962. The owner hired me as a favor to my dad and paid me $5 a week for about 10 hours work which was just about what it cost me to buy one Diamond brand wrench every week.

Last edited by capnjonny; 02-08-21 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-08-21, 03:29 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have a knife that was owned by my wife's father, and I imagine that the blade was around 6 inches long. I say imagine, because it is about 1.5 inches now, but it still keeps a razor sharp edge. I guess he began using it when he worked on the family farm until he moved to the city in about 1946, and could well have been his father's because he died in 1939 and all the other sons went off to join the army and then the underground, here in Poland. I use it to sharpen my pencil and cut my way into packaging.

I also have a wooden toolbox that I keep some of my bike tools in. It was made for my grandfather by one of his brothers, in 1915 for his 15th birthday. I cannot remember which brother, as my grandfather had 26 siblings, but I do know that he left shortly after to serve in the First World War. The box was painted a plain black with my grandfather's 4 initials in white on the top - I have several of his tools and they are all similarly marked, including a small pair of external callipers I still use to compare stem sizes etc. Anyway, he trained to become an electrician, got married, became the chief electrical engineer at an insane asylum, got divorced and married the chief nurse, who was in charge of the nursing aspects of applying electroconvulsive therapy. Eventually he and his toolbox retired, and then in 1984 I inherited it.
Old 02-08-21, 09:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts

1941 South Bend 9" A lathe. Just used it a few days ago to turn out two headtube reinforcing rings and a couple of replacement pins that hold the ends of the hack saw's blade in the saw frame. Maybe not the oldest tool I have but close to it. Andy
Old 02-08-21, 11:06 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I've used the same combination wrenches since 1992.

My Park cable cutters dating to 1997 or 1998 are the oldest bicycle tool I use on a regular basis.
Old 02-08-21, 11:22 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

1941 South Bend 9" A lathe. Just used it a few days ago to turn out two headtube reinforcing rings and a couple of replacement pins that hold the ends of the hack saw's blade in the saw frame. Maybe not the oldest tool I have but close to it. Andy
Holy cow, Andy. That is beautiful. It is a shame that more shops don't have a small lathe.

I had a mechanic/machinist that was working on one of my bikes - a steel frame with a King headset. He wasn't happy with the headset adjustment, so he faced the top and bottom of my stem to get a more consistent adjustment. That headset is SMOOTH.
Old 02-08-21, 12:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
That's one of my biggest worries, getting any of my tool boxes stolen. Take my car, bike, anything in my house, but please leave my tools.
I'm finally getting around to doing some estate planning and talked to my kids if there was any of my possessions in particular they might be interested in.
It was pretty much agreed I don't own a lot of material things of real value besides my gons and tools, and even those have to be taken as a whole rather than individually.
Old 02-08-21, 12:22 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I had a badly damaged city bike, well known in much of Canada, 'Eatons Glider' from the late 60s I think. I cut the frame apart and use a segment of the downtube (with the word 'Glider') as my cheater bar to 'glide' seized fasteners loose.
Old 02-08-21, 01:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
I started to answer my 1959 Shopsmith Mark V, but then I remembered my ex-wife's paternal grandfather's post hole auger which dates to before the war. Uh, yeah, that would be the Great War. It will still sink a pretty hole quick if the soil isn't rocky.

The oldest bike tool would be a no-brand chain tool I bought around 1977/78.
Old 02-08-21, 02:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My paternal grandfather was a master automotive mechanic and my mother's father was a pattern maker and tool maker. I have some tools that both owned, but the one I like best is a small mechanic's ball peen hammer that belonged to my father's father. Despite its size, it can deliver a very hard blow that can be easily controlled. It must be about 100 years old
Old 02-08-21, 02:21 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My older brother was an auto mechanic in the 1970s and 1980s. He passed in 2015, and could take only a few of his many, many tools. I have a set of Snap-On torx screwdrivers (with the black handles) that are his. Like Doc said, I think of him when I use them.

I have a set of Mafac stamped steel wrenches in the little rubber pouch, they'd be from the 60s or 70s. I rarely use them, but have when doing a strip, clean and polish on a caliper set.

I have my spoke key, chain breaker and dog-bone wrench from early bike maintenance days (maybe 1975 or so?), but I don't use them now. Some of my freewheel removers are likely from the early 1980s, I guess.

I began buying my own tools in the 1980s, general purpose stuff that I still use.
Old 02-08-21, 08:01 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
This one's got to be at least 25 years old

Still gets regular use on the newfangled stuff:

Old 02-08-21, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Holy cow, Andy. That is beautiful. It is a shame that more shops don't have a small lathe.

I had a mechanic/machinist that was working on one of my bikes - a steel frame with a King headset. He wasn't happy with the headset adjustment, so he faced the top and bottom of my stem to get a more consistent adjustment. That headset is SMOOTH.
That ain't no shop, that's my basement (which is better equipped tool wise then the shop at work, excepting the Phil spoke cutter of mine that is at work). I repainted and "tuned up" this lathe this Fall. Lots of dirty work removing the old three layers of paint... Thanks, Andy
Old 02-08-21, 08:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

As far as bike specific tools that I still use look at the photo I posted earlier and note along the upper edge and towards the right you'll see a Campy straight edge and a set of the H tools. Both are from 1978, I loaned my boss the $ for the Campy tool kit and ended up buying it from him a year later. There's something good about the feel of those tools in one's hands. far nicer then the Park stuff that's mass made these days. Andy
Old 02-09-21, 04:19 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
That is beautiful. It is a shame that more my shops don't have a small lathe.
*cough cough*
Old 02-09-21, 10:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I just remembered that I have my dad's Sears Craftsman half inch drive socket set. It is in a metal box with a slide off top. It are probably out of the 20s or 30s. I also have a few of my grandfather's tools, that date back before 1900 but they are not used on my bikes.
Old 02-09-21, 11:47 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I'd swear Dale Saso, (https://www.sasobike.com) has the exact same lathe or very similar one - with an external threading adaptor / kit.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-09-21, 12:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My tablesaw is from 1944. I bought it from an old guy over 40 years ago.
Some hammers that belonged to my grandfather so I guess '20s vintage.
This plane bought used from Japan. don't know the age, but could be post-war or older.

Old 02-09-21, 03:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
My oldest tool is a Surre truing stand. The patent was filed in 1947 and issued in 1950. As I told a friend of mine, there is a high likelihood that the atoms of aluminum in this truing stand spend some time over parts of Europe. I haven’t owned it for long but it is the oldest tool I own.

An old tool I have carried for decades is a Cool Tool. I have several including this sealed one. Best bicycle multitool ever invented! I even have a Robert Seals original.

My oldest tool I actually use (almost daily), is a pre1996 Park PRS-6. I had it extended from about 3’ to about 5’ about 20 years ago. I also replaced the clamp with an adjustable clamp rather than the original spring clamp.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-09-21, 03:42 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
my brother bought me a popular mecahincs brand socket set with metric and standard sockets. It comes in a zip up pouch. I am thinking this is about 45 years old now. It has been the handiest set of tools I have ever used or had. I always make sure ll the pieces are there before putting it away.
Old 02-09-21, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
My favorite tool is my 1914 Lodge Iron skillet I inherited from my mother that floated down from her grandmother. , but as far as bike tools goes, I have several that about 20 yrs old, chain breaker, cassette lock ring, chain whip used most often.

Old 02-10-21, 06:27 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Andy Stewart, I like your South Bend Lathe. I can see the way scraping. Did you re-scrape the ways?
Old 02-10-21, 09:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Andy Stewart, I like your South Bend Lathe. I can see the way scraping. Did you re-scrape the ways?
Jim- No I didn't. This lathe was a high school shop class tool. While not used at it's limits or for 40 hours a week but I suspect the same work book project was made hundreds of times over it's years in that school. So there's no scrape marks where the saddle would sit for small and close to the chuck work. Not a lot of wear but no frosting. This lathe is in better condition then the 1952 9"C that I first bought and am now wanting to sell off. Andy