Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Problem with securing seat

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-01-21, 12:02 PM
Ajay423

Bikes: Dahon boardwalk 7, soma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just acquired a forest green Dahon Boardwalk 7 speed with Shimano r derailleur.
The sear tube has a plastic shim and the tube top has a welded/brazed collar with (two) arms with holes at each rear side. It also has a Quick Release cam skewer to clamp the seatpost to secure the seat in position. The seatpost says “34” on the lower part.
I am unable to make this work. Even tightened to the point where both arms begin to touch, the seat slips. I used tools to tighten further, stripped the plastic(?) threads in the skewer knurled knob.
Does thus bike require a different shim? Different clamp? Different something else? The seat post fits snuggly into the loosened seatpost/shim - just can’t tighten it to non slip.
Thanks, in advance for any help. I can’t post pictures yet since I am a newbie.
Old 03-01-21, 01:02 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 136 Posts
You can try carbon paste, but you may need to buy a better qualify clamp that has a deep hex fitting so you can leverage it tight. I did. Chromag clamp worked wonders for me.
Old 03-01-21, 05:38 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 182 Posts
The most common solution to this problem is to clean the seatpost and tightening collar. Like, really, really clean.
Old 03-04-21, 11:18 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I had a problem with my seatpost slipping down a while back. Different bike, but same problem.

Someone here suggested that I sand the seatpost a bit where it's clamped with rough (not fine) sandpaper.

It worked. It's worth a try, I guess. Obviously, there's a limit on how many times you can do that, but it's held pretty well for a long time for me.
Old 03-05-21, 05:32 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 106 Posts
Once it is sanded then it should not need doing again, unless one is in the habit of adjusting the saddle often enough for wear to occur. The folders I fold usually have the saddle really low so that I don't touch it.
Old 03-05-21, 08:54 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 353 Posts
Plastic wears out. Dahon USA sells replacements.
Old 03-06-21, 06:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 377 Posts
I have a seatpost on a different bike, I think it is slightly undersized, but just barely. It is painted black. I sprayed on a couple more layers of back paint, let it harden up for a week before re-installing. That was enough to get the size up to where it should be, no longer slips.

But in your case where you say that two arms touch, that does not sound good. Is it possible that the seatpost has been changed to a different size?

I do not have a Dahon, so consider my comments as generic, not specific to your bike.