Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brooks B17 vs Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 07:11 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Brooks B17 vs Pro

5’10”
200lbs of not muscle
steel frame randonneur
seat is 2” higher than the handlebars

I currently have the Pro and at times I can get the saddle to disappear, but I’m wondering if B17 might be more comfortable.

I haven’t measure my sit bones yet. I have an old B67 that is wonderful on a more upright bike, but I don’t have too much experience with Brooks in general. I have 500 or so miles in the Pro so far. I just proofed it a few days ago.

I don’t ride far, I rode 25 miles yesterday and I did not get any chafing.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-02-21, 01:07 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
A B17 "might" be more comfortable, but with a 2-inch seat-to-bar drop, I'd probably stick with the Professional. I've got the Pro on my "race" bike, but B17s and C17s on the ones that have a more upright position.

Play with your saddle's level a bit; a degree or two of nose-up can make a big difference in comfort.
Old 03-02-21, 01:58 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
I find the Professional to be a bit narrow unless I am wearing bike shorts. The B17 is comfortable with or without bike shorts.
Old 03-02-21, 08:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If you can sometimes get the saddle to disappear, why would you change it? Figure out what that position is (for you and/or the saddle) and ride in that position.
Old 03-02-21, 09:18 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Not enough information. Sounds like you're on the right track with the Pro. Continue riding it. Make certain that you have the sit area level, and that may mean having the nose higher. Remember to make small adjustments and then allow them time to take effect.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-02-21, 10:53 AM
Lbxpdx

Thank you all. I was pretty sure the Pro was the right seat. I was amazed at how much a slight adjustment of the tilt could translate to comfort. Hopefully some spring riding will aid in some extra sweat to help form some indents.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 03-02-21, 02:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
5’10”
200lbs of not muscle
steel frame randonneur
seat is 2” higher than the handlebars

I currently have the Pro and at times I can get the saddle to disappear, but I’m wondering if B17 might be more comfortable.

I haven’t measure my sit bones yet. I have an old B67 that is wonderful on a more upright bike, but I don’t have too much experience with Brooks in general. I have 500 or so miles in the Pro so far. I just proofed it a few days ago.

I don’t ride far, I rode 25 miles yesterday and I did not get any chafing.

Any help is much appreciated.
I think we are pretty similar in weight and positioning. I have used a Pro, B17, and other leather saddles over the years. They are both road saddles. Brooks doesn't say that sit bone width has anything to do with saddle selection, though I can say a B17 Narrow feels too narrow, a Pro does not, and a The Pro is intended for serious racers and riders also in an aggressive position. The 67 is much wider than either of them, and is intended for upright bikes with the position of say, the old Raleigh Sport. I rarely if ever tighten the tension screws on Brooks saddle. It seems only to raise a ridge in the middle, the "ass hatchet" problem.

I got a Professional on a new bike in 1970 (17 years old), and it disappeared and was effective for the next 7 years, until the bike was stolen. So I think a Pro might be very good for me, even now

In the past year I bought a few used Professionals to see if they still work for me. That test was not positive, but I think its because neither saddle was fresh nor broken in for me. And one of them was kind of stretched, even with the nose raised I could not get my rear to stay on the wide part without sitting on the cantle. Someday I'll try a new one but I have too many saddles at the moment.

I bought a nice natural brown B17, and I liked it a lot for a few days. Then my wife saw it and wanted to try it. That was it, she loved it and three years later will not give it back.

Between the B17 and the Pro, I like the B17 better, but my real favorite now is the Selle AnAtomica H-model.

But if I again get a new Pro, my mind might change. I have a B15 Swallow with the same width as a Pro, which is pretty nice, though hard. We'll see!
Old 03-02-21, 02:45 PM
Lbxpdx

I’m assuming the slightly rough part just above my fore finger and thumb is where my sitbones are starting to break the saddle in.
Old 03-09-21, 03:33 PM
Lbxpdx

Well I think since I wrote started the thread and now, my seat may have broken in. I made a slight adjustment on the day I was set to buy a B17, took the bike out for a spin and everything seemed softer and more compliant. I also realized that by tilting my hips put less pressure on my lower back and everything feels better.

It’s almost as though I got a whole new bike.
Old 03-11-21, 07:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
Well I think since I wrote started the thread and now, my seat may have broken in. I made a slight adjustment on the day I was set to buy a B17, took the bike out for a spin and everything seemed softer and more compliant. I also realized that by tilting my hips put less pressure on my lower back and everything feels better.

It’s almost as though I got a whole new bike.
Isn't it amazing how small a change can make such a huge difference in saddle comfort with Brooks?