Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sanity Check - All-City Space Horse - for me, big ticket purchase

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-13-16, 02:31 PM
efi

Bikes: Specialized Allez Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I moved to Denver this past fall, in part because of the wonderful weather. A week ago today, I sold my car and am now car free. I decided on this because biking made sense - the great weather, cheaper, health, etc. Unfortunately, 5 days after selling my car, my bike (2008 Specialized Allez) was stolen from outside my work. I'm now both carless and bikeless. I've already spoken with a lot of people about how to better secure my bike, so feel good about that moving forward.

I've test ridden several bikes (Bianchi, Specialized, and the All-City Space Horse). I absolutely love the Space Horse, but the price tag ($1,500) is much higher than I'd planned. It would also have the added cost of pedals, fenders, and potentially racks/bags - though I'd wait on the racks/bags.

I'm torn between looking at the bike as an investment, and thinking that I'm using that as a rationalization to buy something I really like. I know this is hugely personal, but would love to hear how others think through this, and also if there are any specific suggestions/thoughts about what to get or the Space Horse in particular.

Things I like about the Space Horse
- I feel like if I have it, I won't need to get another bike for a while. It covers commuting (chief concern now), longer weekend fitness rides, and smaller touring trips (e.g., 3 day, 2 night trips).
- I think it's a ton of fun to ride. I like that it dampens impact with cracks, bumps, etc. The geometry suits me. More so than any other bike that I test road, it clicked. I anticipate that I'll really enjoy getting out on it, whether for commuting, running errands, etc.
- It's sexy.
- I suspect that it will last.

Things I don't like about the Space Horse
- Price tag

Other options that I've considered:
- Similar model @ a few hundred cheaper, but that I don't enjoy riding as much. (Bianchi Volpe)
- Much cheaper bike that is more utilitarian. There's a shop down the street that sells State Bicycles starting at $300, but ranging upward from there.
- Something like the Trek Allant, which is cheaper at $600 but doesn't really do anything that I want to do very well. It also isn't that fun to ride. This is probably the direction that I'd go in if I don't do the Space Horse.

Open to any other suggestions, feedback, whatever. Thanks!

Dennis
Old 02-13-16, 02:39 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Buy a used bike for commuting, where it won't be sought by thieves, Buy waht you like for non-commuting, ride it pnly when it won't be left unattended.
Old 02-13-16, 02:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Buy a used bike for commuting, where it won't be sought by thieves, Buy waht you like for non-commuting, ride it pnly when it won't be left unattended.
+ 1,000 on this. You can buy a first rate used bike for commuting that will cost you less than $300 (which is the price you mentioned for a utilitarian commuter); used vintage mtbs tend to be reasonably priced and make first rate commuters.

You can post the bikes you find on the C&V valuation forum; we'll steer you away from the dogs.

You'll need to learn some basic wrenching skills (if you don't already have them) but you'll need those in any case if commuting.
Old 02-13-16, 02:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've built many Space Horses for the shop. Decent bikes,but really disappointed with the brakes. The Tektro R720's just don't mesh well with the STI's. Same brakes on LHT's and older CC's work fine with Tektro levers,and the STI's work well with Shimano's own canti's(which is how Volpes are specced) and Tektro's Oryx,but can never get the STI/R720 combo to work as well as I'd like(note,none of the other mechanics are able to significantly improve them either). I'd suggest the Volpe over the SH for the better brakes and front triple,but you said you liked the SH better.

Other than the brakes,the SH is a nice bike. Price is pretty much in line with comparable bikes from other brands. If it's what works for you,and won't cause financial problems,then I'd say go for it. Make sure you properly lock it,and maybe look into renter's/home owner's insurance that will cover it. This is something you'll use every day,not a toy,so it's worth it to spend on what will make you happy.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-13-16, 03:41 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know anything about the brakes, but I agree with @dynaryder that you are buying this for transportation, not as a toy. If the SH fits you well and makes you want to ride, then go for it. It is worth it, for me anyway, to spend the money to get what I like and what will work. It's especially great when you can find one bike that will do all the things you want. (By the way, I'm on a Bianchi Volpe and love it. But it's not a good idea to save a few hundred dollars for a bike that doesn't fit you as well.)

If storage space is not an issue, then it is probably worth looking around to see if you can find an older "beater bike" for times when you need to leave a bike unattended for hours at a time. It's also nice to have a back up bike for when your usual ride is in the shop.
Old 02-13-16, 04:41 PM
efi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1,000 on this. You can buy a first rate used bike for commuting that will cost you less than $300 (which is the price you mentioned for a utilitarian commuter); used vintage mtbs tend to be reasonably priced and make first rate commuters.

You can post the bikes you find on the C&V valuation forum; we'll steer you away from the dogs.

You'll need to learn some basic wrenching skills (if you don't already have them) but you'll need those in any case if commuting.
Thanks - I think you both have a really good point. My commute is also only 3-4 miles each way and is on road, so I can really ride anything.

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Other than the brakes,the SH is a nice bike. Price is pretty much in line with comparable bikes from other brands. If it's what works for you, and won't cause financial problems,then I'd say go for it. Make sure you properly lock it,and maybe look into renter's/home owner's insurance that will cover it. This is something you'll use every day,not a toy,so it's worth it to spend on what will make you happy.
Thanks, dynaryder. I'd read that the breaks weren't the best, but didn't notice anything during the test ride. I think you nailed it with the bolded part - a $1,500+ bike purchase would be a bad financial decision for me right now. I think it'd be nice to have something better fitting, but I might wait until I have a little more of a nest egg saved up before pulling the trigger. That'll also give me time to learn more.

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I don't know anything about the brakes, but I agree with @dynaryder that you are buying this for transportation, not as a toy. If the SH fits you well and makes you want to ride, then go for it. It is worth it, for me anyway, to spend the money to get what I like and what will work. It's especially great when you can find one bike that will do all the things you want. (By the way, I'm on a Bianchi Volpe and love it. But it's not a good idea to save a few hundred dollars for a bike that doesn't fit you as well.)

If storage space is not an issue, then it is probably worth looking around to see if you can find an older "beater bike" for times when you need to leave a bike unattended for hours at a time. It's also nice to have a back up bike for when your usual ride is in the shop.
Thanks. Storage isn't an issue right now. I think I'll look for an older beater bike and work with that for the time being. It'll be easier on the wallet, and it can then be my backup when I'm financially ready to have something that's a better fit.
Old 02-13-16, 05:27 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a good decision. My "beater bike" is a 1993 Giant Option. It's actually a great bike and loads of fun to ride. It's nothing fancy: a steel frame, non-suspension fork (I hate suspension forks on inexpensive bikes!), 10-speed that takes racks and fenders. It gets me where I need to be, carries all my stuff, and doesn't attract the attention of thieves. For your relatively short commute, an old hybrid or hardtail mountain bike should do very nicely. Good luck!
Old 02-13-16, 06:43 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked up that space horse, those are gorgeous bikes! But yea, I'd go with an older kind of beat up looking but mechanically awesome bike.
Old 02-13-16, 07:24 PM
efi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone for your advice! I did some searching around on Craigslist and ended up making a quick purchase. It's a Trek entry level mountain bike. The guy who I bought it from buys and resells bikes, and fixes them up. He did a good job tuning it up, in my opinion, and I walked away with my new commuter for $140. I got a new u-lock for $55, and will go back to the shop that sold me that for a clip on rear fender for another $25, and then set.

I attached a picture, but am not sure how well it will show.

Thanks again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3931.jpg (95.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 02-13-16, 08:26 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by efi
Thanks, everyone for your advice! I did some searching around on Craigslist and ended up making a quick purchase. It's a Trek entry level mountain bike. The guy who I bought it from buys and resells bikes, and fixes them up. He did a good job tuning it up, in my opinion, and I walked away with my new commuter for $140. I got a new u-lock for $55, and will go back to the shop that sold me that for a clip on rear fender for another $25, and then set.

Thanks again!

That will make a fine commuter, and you can save up and get the space horse for recreational pursuits where you don't need to leave the bike unattended. Because you are car free, you will still want a better cargo option. Maybe buy a trailer for grocery and big box runs.
Old 02-13-16, 09:16 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efi

Thanks again!

Looks great!
Old 02-14-16, 12:05 AM
FanaticMN

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that was quick. I'm late to the thread, but will reinforce your decision a bit and agree with most of the folks here, because commuter bikes, especially for dedicated, rain-or-shine, snow-and-sleet riders, get beat to heck.

I ride an Allant. It is almost five years old, with more than 16,500 year-round commuting miles on it. Pretty much everything associated with the drive train has been replaced at least once. It's a great commuter bike, and does everything I need it to. I don't worry too much about leaving it locked up. I personally would be reluctant to ride a "nice" bike through the winter--I suspect a nicer bike would be trashed almost as quickly-- but I have no such worries with the Allant. It wouldn't be my choice for recreational riding, but that's what +1 is for :-)
Old 02-14-16, 01:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I guess I'm surprised you got something so different! You should have found a lot of steel curly-handlebar bikes of fair quality on your local Craigslist...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-14-16, 09:36 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efi
Hi all,

I moved to Denver this past fall, in part because of the wonderful weather. A week ago today, I sold my car and am now car free. I decided on this because biking made sense - the great weather, cheaper, health, etc. Unfortunately, 5 days after selling my car, my bike (2008 Specialized Allez) was stolen from outside my work. I'm now both carless and bikeless. I've already spoken with a lot of people about how to better secure my bike, so feel good about that moving forward.

I've test ridden several bikes (Bianchi, Specialized, and the All-City Space Horse). I absolutely love the Space Horse, but the price tag ($1,500) is much higher than I'd planned. It would also have the added cost of pedals, fenders, and potentially racks/bags - though I'd wait on the racks/bags.

I'm torn between looking at the bike as an investment, and thinking that I'm using that as a rationalization to buy something I really like. I know this is hugely personal, but would love to hear how others think through this, and also if there are any specific suggestions/thoughts about what to get or the Space Horse in particular.

Things I like about the Space Horse
- I feel like if I have it, I won't need to get another bike for a while. It covers commuting (chief concern now), longer weekend fitness rides, and smaller touring trips (e.g., 3 day, 2 night trips).
- I think it's a ton of fun to ride. I like that it dampens impact with cracks, bumps, etc. The geometry suits me. More so than any other bike that I test road, it clicked. I anticipate that I'll really enjoy getting out on it, whether for commuting, running errands, etc.
- It's sexy.
- I suspect that it will last.

Things I don't like about the Space Horse
- Price tag

Other options that I've considered:
- Similar model @ a few hundred cheaper, but that I don't enjoy riding as much. (Bianchi Volpe)
- Much cheaper bike that is more utilitarian. There's a shop down the street that sells State Bicycles starting at $300, but ranging upward from there.
- Something like the Trek Allant, which is cheaper at $600 but doesn't really do anything that I want to do very well. It also isn't that fun to ride. This is probably the direction that I'd go in if I don't do the Space Horse.

Open to any other suggestions, feedback, whatever. Thanks!

Dennis
Now that was an article. Do you have the cash? Would you have cash leftover after the purchase? Will you ride it? If you answered yes x3, then get it. I recently scored a smokin deal on a Devinci that I've had my eye on for years..got a slush fund left over in the bank so all is well.
Old 02-14-16, 09:50 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Agreed on the older beater for commuting. I use an older GT Pantera from 1994. Aside from giving me the occasional fit when I want to change gear in the lower range, it serves me well.

From the money you're saving by not owning a car (maintenance, insurance, payments, parking etc.) It should be a not too long of a wait til you can afford your AC Space Horse.
Enjoy!!!
Old 02-15-16, 06:14 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Now that you have transportation you can take all the time you need to stalk CL and FB for a used Space Horse. I'm in the Twin Cities and used Space Horses pop up regularly in the Twin Cities Bicycle Trader on FB, usually under a grand.
Old 02-15-16, 09:24 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
My first commuter was a 4500.

I currently ride my SSCX bike (now with flat bars) for commuting most of the time.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-15-16, 10:02 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I agree with two bikes, one specifically for commuting and one for other stuff. If one is disabled for some reason, you still have the second bike to get around on. But I commute on all of my bikes.

I wouldn't go so far as only riding the cheap bike if you ever leave it unattended. That really depends on where you are, the crime rate, maybe a few other things. The commuter itself doesn't have to be expensive though. See my thread Dawes Streetfighter review for example, $270 total cost and everything I want from a commuter. Then the other bike can be more specific to what you like in a fun bike, touring, or whatever your criteria are.

Ha, I see you already did that with the Trek from CL. Perfect!
Old 02-15-16, 12:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Good job; if your commute is all on the road and you want to make it easier, #1 upgrade is city tires; you can get totally slick (Nashbar Slick City is cheap and well reviewed), or there are many tires that have a smooth/harder center track for efficiently going in a straight line on the road, and knobs on the side that give you traction for moderate trail riding (I would consider Schwalbe Hurricane -- of course there are many many other good ones that people recommend highly around here)

The Space Horse will be there for you to buy once you can save up for it. It is a good thing to have a bike that can handle multiple purposes ("commuting (chief concern now), longer weekend fitness rides, and smaller touring trips (e.g., 3 day, 2 night trips)"), and that you enjoy ("I think it's a ton of fun to ride. ... geometry suits me. More so than any other bike that I test road, it clicked. I anticipate that I'll really enjoy getting out on it ... It's sexy.") That's what my CrossCheck is for me. The more you enjoy your bike, the more you will ride it, and the more the cost will be amortized/justified!

It's also great that you've gone car-free, you have forced your hand so that you will be riding your Trek as needed, whether you enjoy it or not. But I suspect you will enjoy it well enough, and eventually you will have saved up and can afford to treat yourself with a really luxurious bike!