Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Review - Shimano Biopace Crankset

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Review - Shimano Biopace Crankset

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 11:19 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
People use "oval" as a synonym for "non-round" when describing chainrings. Biopace rings are neither round nor oval, but were designed after biomechanical analysis of pedaling. As with all design and analysis, certain assumptions were made about preferred pedaling styles and their purported benefits. If your pedaling style is similar to those assumptions, you'll probably like Biopace rings. If not, you may dislike them, or prefer "clocking" them in a different manner than what Shimano intended. The vast majority of people actually seemed indifferent to what Biopace offered, and as a result it never prospered in the market in the manner Shimano had hoped.
Because alot of those people are simply not pedalling properly (despite the fact they think they are.)

The cranks have tons of developmental effort put into them backed up by research. I pray somebody doesn't claim that they know better by incorrectly mounting the chainrings on purpose and testing it out for 15 seconds on their initial ride.

Its clearly proven that (for most of us) its a superior solution mechanically, not based on how it was marketed.
Old 11-24-20, 11:21 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
XD so what is the difference then?
Biopace:

Absolute Black:

You can see that Absolute Black has the oval rotated almost 90 degree differently than the original Biopace.
Old 11-24-20, 11:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
XD so what is the difference then?

yes, I know I read that Biopace works different from the original idea. But looking at the crankset with the chainrings correctly oriented, I can clearly see the teeth count increasing as you move the arms down vertically from the top.
Biopace IS the old idea. There is a new crop of oval rings out now that work differently. A fact which many on this thread seem unaware of.

As far as the difference... as has been repeated multiple times... the clocking.
Old 11-24-20, 11:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Because alot of those people are simply not pedalling properly (despite the fact they think they are.)
This reminds me of the thread where a husband insisted that his wife’s saddle was fine, but she was sitting on it wrong.

”There is nothing wrong with this casserole, you are just tasting it wrong”
Old 11-24-20, 11:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Biopace IS the old idea. There is a new crop of oval rings out now that work differently. A fact which many on this thread seem unaware of.

As far as the difference... as has been repeated multiple times... the clocking.
Technically, elliptical chainrings were available before the 1940s and possibly earlier; all of the earlier designs were clocked like the modern elliptical rings (optimized for high-cadence riders) and unlike the Biopace rings (optimized for low-cadence riders), as explained at length in the Sheldon Brown/John Allen dissertation posted by up-thread.

Here's an image of a 1970's chainring from the Sheldon Brown site:

Old 11-24-20, 12:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Technically, elliptical chainrings were available before the 1940s and possibly earlier; all of the earlier designs were clocked like the modern elliptical rings (optimized for high-cadence riders) and unlike the Biopace rings (optimized for low-cadence riders), as explained at length in the Sheldon Brown/John Allen dissertation posted by up-thread.

Here's an image of a 1970's chainring from the Sheldon Brown site:

Well that is definitely interesting.

However, what I was addressing is the new rings compared to the Biopace, which is what 99% of people who ever tried a non-round ring before ~2013 would be thinking of or have any actual experience with. For practical discussion, Biopace is the older type that nearly anyone has any experience with, and it is what peoples' opinions seem to be based on.

FWIW, that clocking is different from the modern ovals I am familiar with, such as Wolftooth and Absolute Black. Those rings are clocked somewhere between those pictured above and biopace, though a lot closer to the former.
Old 11-24-20, 01:00 PM
Trakhak

Kapusta, here's a better photo of another version of the Scott Durham elliptical chainring, making it clearer that Durham's design is more extreme than but, as you say, related to the Absolute Black and other contemporary rings:

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-24-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 01:03 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Best thing about original Biopace was the rings wore out real quick, maybe one third the life of a regular ring. For the OP this may be a problem, as he will be seeking service parts not made in thirty years. Plus Shimano was and is always awful at supplying service parts, there never were inventories except as OEM.

Can’t follow the discussion about efficient pedal speed. All of us pedal at different speeds at different times. Mountain biking would sort of define doing lots of different things with the bike. All of the old studies about 60rpm were done with casual riders or non-riders.
Old 11-24-20, 01:05 PM
Trakhak

Elliptical rings were around much earlier than I thought. Here's a picture of an 1893 Columbia bike (note, too, the suspension seatpost):

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-24-20, 01:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Please excuse this momentary aside. I really do hate to sidetrack a productive thread. Does the name of the component company "Oval Concepts" bother anyone else. They literally make nothing that is oval in shape. Seriously, who in the trailer park hell names wheels "Oval" anything?
Productive?
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-24-20, 01:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Productive?

Sometimes my tongue gets caught up in my cheek, and I can't seem to get it out.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-24-20, 01:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
All of the old studies about 60rpm were done with casual riders or non-riders.
That explains the OP's attraction to them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-24-20, 01:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Kapusta, here's a better photo of another version of the Scott Durham elliptical chainring, making it clearer that Durham's design is more extreme than but, as you say, related to the Absolute Black and other contemporary rings:

Actually, that is not the same as current ovals. The clocking is very different. take a look at this next to an Absolute Black. It is a good 45(ish) degrees off.

You mentioned high cadence. I don't think that is the primary appeal of the new rings. These are seeing most success in mountain biking, where cadence varies a lot, and the place where they seem to shine the most is on lower cadence grinds and technical sections.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-24-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 01:47 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Sometimes my tongue gets caught up in my cheek, and I can't seem to get it out.
I seem to have the same problem. My grip is probably too loose.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-24-20, 02:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Here is me trying to explain that modern oval rings (e.g., Absolute Black) are not the same thing as Biopace...

Me "New oval rings are not the same thing as Biopace"
Them: "But, they are both oval"
Me: "The clocking is different... the increase and decrease in gearing happens at different points in the pedal stroke and therefore work very differently"
Them: "But they are all oval. Same thing, just different marketing"
Me: "Biopace was not actually oval"
Them: "Close enough, same thing"
Me: "Have you ever ridden a new oval ring like Absolute black?"
Them: "I rode Biopace 25 years ago, and did not like them so I know I don't like oval rings"
Me: "But these don't work the same way"
Them: "They are all oval. Companies keep trying oval rings and they keep failing"
Me: "They are not failing, oval rings have been well received in the MTB world for a few years now. And that is because they do not work like Biopace rings"
Them: "But they are all oval, same thing as Biopace"

And so on, and so on.....
Yup. Some folks nitpick terminology either to refute or defend their pet position on chainrings. That's why I call them all eccentric. That's an adequate one word summary, including for ovals, egg-shaped objects and the peculiarly rounded near-parallelogram shape of some smaller Biopace rings.

I suspect more people who dislike them didn't spend enough time on overall bike fit to make 'em work -- for example, trying various crank lengths as I did. But I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for most folks either. Any gains are pretty small. I only spent a lot of time on Biopace out of curiosity. And it wasn't my only road bike so I had time to fiddle around with three different crank lengths, adjusting saddle height and overall position, handlebar/stem height and reach, etc.

If I had tried Biopace with only my 175 cranks and didn't make any other changes, I probably would have dismissed them after the first sign of a knee twinge.

But after finding a setup I liked my data shows I was consistently a bit stronger on climbs and a bit faster on my usual roller coaster workout routes. And my stats have shown a slight but consistent decline this year since switching back to regular round rings.

However that decline could also be attributed to aging and bouts with a minor but persistent upper respiratory inflammation all year. Too many variables to say whether switching away from eccentric chainrings was a significant factor.

So I'm going to put the Biopace rings back on one bike and try again.
Old 11-24-20, 03:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup. Some folks nitpick terminology either to refute or defend their pet position on chainrings. That's why I call them all eccentric. That's an adequate one word summary, including for ovals, egg-shaped objects and the peculiarly rounded near-parallelogram shape of some smaller Biopace rings.

I suspect more people who dislike them didn't spend enough time on overall bike fit to make 'em work -- for example, trying various crank lengths as I did. But I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for most folks either. Any gains are pretty small. I only spent a lot of time on Biopace out of curiosity. And it wasn't my only road bike so I had time to fiddle around with three different crank lengths, adjusting saddle height and overall position, handlebar/stem height and reach, etc.

If I had tried Biopace with only my 175 cranks and didn't make any other changes, I probably would have dismissed them after the first sign of a knee twinge.

But after finding a setup I liked my data shows I was consistently a bit stronger on climbs and a bit faster on my usual roller coaster workout routes. And my stats have shown a slight but consistent decline this year since switching back to regular round rings.

However that decline could also be attributed to aging and bouts with a minor but persistent upper respiratory inflammation all year. Too many variables to say whether switching away from eccentric chainrings was a significant factor.

So I'm going to put the Biopace rings back on one bike and try again.
Where do you even get Biopace rings these days?
Old 11-24-20, 03:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Not oval, not eccentric:

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-24-20, 03:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I like checking in on this thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-24-20, 04:04 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I like checking in on this thread.
Search for EccenTric Intelligence?
Old 11-24-20, 04:12 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
My windchime.
Old 11-24-20, 04:17 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rosefarts
My windchime.
A lot of studies show they make better wind chimes than round rings ... but only at low wind speed.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-24-20, 07:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

The 52/42 sets were common as dirt on late 1980s road bikes with Shimano groups -- usually 105 and 600 -- from several makers. Many folks took 'em off and stuck 'em in a closet, sold, gave away or threw them away. The 52/42 road group seemed to be more common than the triples equipped on some mountain bikes.

I got a set from a friend after mentioning I was curious to try Biopace. He put a set on a frame I bought from him in early 2019.

I rode that bike for almost a year, switching between that bike and my '89 Centurion Ironman with conventional round chainrings (although I had switched that Ironman from 52/42 to 50/38 and 52/39, depending on my mood and expected elevation and wind conditions.)

So I was able to compare the perceived effort over dozens of rides on the same routes, between the bike with 52/42 Biopace and the other with round rings, both with 7-speed 13-28 freewheels or cassettes. That's why I was surprised to find the 42T small Biopace had a perceived effort on climbs comparable to my 38 and 39T round chainrings.

But I was still skeptical about the effect of bike weight and other factors, so I swapped the Biopace rings over to the Ironman and rode that for a couple of months. Same perceived effort -- the 42T Biopace felt more like a 38 or 39 round ring.
Old 11-24-20, 07:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by canklecat
The 52/42 sets were common as dirt on late 1980s road bikes with Shimano groups -- usually 105 and 600 -- from several makers. Many folks took 'em off and stuck 'em in a closet, sold, gave away or threw them away. The 52/42 road group seemed to be more common than the triples equipped on some mountain bikes.

I got a set from a friend after mentioning I was curious to try Biopace. He put a set on a frame I bought from him in early 2019.

I rode that bike for almost a year, switching between that bike and my '89 Centurion Ironman with conventional round chainrings (although I had switched that Ironman from 52/42 to 50/38 and 52/39, depending on my mood and expected elevation and wind conditions.)

So I was able to compare the perceived effort over dozens of rides on the same routes, between the bike with 52/42 Biopace and the other with round rings, both with 7-speed 13-28 freewheels or cassettes. That's why I was surprised to find the 42T small Biopace had a perceived effort on climbs comparable to my 38 and 39T round chainrings.

But I was still skeptical about the effect of bike weight and other factors, so I swapped the Biopace rings over to the Ironman and rode that for a couple of months. Same perceived effort -- the 42T Biopace felt more like a 38 or 39 round ring.
So I guess the answer to my question is that you find them in friends' closets and parts bins.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-24-20, 07:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

So I guess the answer to my question is that you find them in friends' closets and parts bins.
Yup. You can probably get a set by offering to pay for shipping. Well, that, and maybe $10-$20. The pandemic shortages have jacked up the prices of even modestly priced Vuelta brand chainrings (equal in quality to 1980s Shimano and Suntour chainrings) to around $30-$50 each.

In 2017-'18 I bought Vuelta chainrings for only $5-$10 each via Amazon warehouse sales because the packages were "damaged." They were just plastic bags with cardboard folded over and stapled for hanging from peg hooks. There was nothing to "damage." Nowadays it's hard to find bargains in some bike components.
Old 11-24-20, 07:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
In 1989, Shimano introduced a new variant, Biopace HP (High Performance), more nearly round than standard Biopace. This was marketed to cyclists who race in packs and use clipless pedals, but did not overturn the marketing problem.
After that, they should've introduced Biopace UHP (Ultra High Performance) with totally round chainrings.
Likes For Reynolds:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.