Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I ride a fixed gear bike

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I ride a fixed gear bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 07:08 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
I have to admit, I’ve called mine a fixie before.
that’s the term I first heard when I saw my first non-track fixed gear bike.
not too long after I had a wipeout and did some damage to my MB drivetrain, that led to a lucky Eno hub catch, and a fun build, and I was hooked. Now I rarely ride anything that can coast. It feels weird and unsafe because I’m used to slowing down and that makes the bike slow down, I stop, the bike stops. It just feels right.
Fixie does sound a bit derogatory, but it’s what we have. Someday I’ll score a track bike, it might be fun on some smooth roads. But for now I have a touring/ commuting bike, a trails/getting stupid bike, and a relaxed cruiser. All also happen to have fixed gear drivetrains.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 12-06-20, 01:04 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Perhaps we should go British pedantic and insist these bikes be referred to as fixed-wheel ...
This.

I have never heard of a bike having a "freegear". It has a freewheel. This means that when there is no drive to the rear sprocket, the wheel is still free to spin.

Therefore, for as long as I can remember, there have been bikes with "freewheels" which "freewheel" (rather than "coast") and there have been bikes with "fixed wheel".

I sort of half wanted a fixed wheel bike for many years before finally making the purchase some time in the 2000s. I had to search quite hard to find one. Little did I know that a year or two later they would become a Thing and I would be accused — for the first time in my life — of being fashionable.

I adopted the term "fixie" in general conversation until I began to understand that these fashionable fixies that I had never seen (I am quite provincial and very unsociable) were all about bright colours, deep rims, tiny little handlebars, riding without brakes on the Queen's highway, and skidding to a stop outside overpriced coffee shops.

then experimented with using the term "fixed gear" because I accepted that it is now in common use, but found it sticks in the throat a bit, so now I just refer to my fixed wheel bike as "the fixed" — which unfortunately makes it sound like a little known student punk band from about 1978.

I don't really mind what other people call their bikes, though. Also, although I would never refer to a "doggy", when I am saying hello to a dog, I often call it "Doggy".
Old 12-06-20, 05:58 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The problem with track bike is mine is not a track bike and I don't ride it on the track and probably wouldn't. It is not aggressive has brakes on it and is awesome (not that a track bike isn't just had to mention it) It is a Fixed Gear Road Bike and then I have a cross bike which is now single speed (flip flop, may go back to fixed at some point) with a front rack and dynamo with wide ass tires.

Your story reminds me of the time I was going to the store on my touring bike (drop bars but very upright, wide tires and had all the racks on it and a pannier) wearing winter clothes (most certainly non-cycling specific and baggier than I would want for a longer trip) to pick up earplugs, Twizzlers and some other stuff for an upcoming trip and some guys in a car yelled at me "Get outta here ROADIE". I was dumbstruck I was like "Huh? Roadie? Me?" I felt bad for the actual roadies who take such pride in their roadie-dom, I had been crowned their king by the divine will of some idiots in a car.
I guess that makes my bike a wanna be track bike since that is my goal one day lol. It has brakes too, so technically it's also a road bike that's fixed.

Surprised you got mistaken for a roadie without any lycra and no matchy matchy kit lol. Maybe they were mountain bikers and saw your drop bars. I get asked by mountain bikers why I ride a road bike on trails when riding a drop bar gravel bike.

Dave
Old 12-06-20, 10:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I guess that makes my bike a wanna be track bike since that is my goal one day lol. It has brakes too, so technically it's also a road bike that's fixed.

Surprised you got mistaken for a roadie without any lycra and no matchy matchy kit lol. Maybe they were mountain bikers and saw your drop bars. I get asked by mountain bikers why I ride a road bike on trails when riding a drop bar gravel bike.

Dave
Mine is not going to see a track probably ever. I do want to learn how to ride on a track but I would probably borrow a bike at that junction because I live nowhere near a 'drome and any plans to build one are long gone. The track at the local high school doesn't allow bikes and honestly I haven't bothered to test the limits and it is not banked or anything and probably not regulation and frequently has people not the field for futbol and of course the joggers.

Yeah I was wondering that and figured they probably were MTB riders and just say drop bars. Granted a lot of those XC riders are in Lycra so one could argue...
Old 12-07-20, 08:48 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
this is one of the dumbest threads I have seen here in a long time.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-07-20, 12:23 PM
rewop12

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally someone has said this, I hate when people say fixie
Old 12-07-20, 03:11 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
I ride four fixed-gear bikes, one of which is a two-speed fixed-gear

Likes For y0x8:
Old 12-07-20, 08:13 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
To be clear, you're posting sentence fragments with lousy grammar structure on a bikey forum complaining about a colloquial abbreviation that's been part of common parlance for at least fifteen years.

Not sure what "good fight" you think you're fighting but shine on, you crazy diamond, you'll need all the sparkle you can get and it'll be a tough row to hoe with all that piss & vinegar gumming up your works.
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 12-07-20, 08:19 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
y0x8 your first & third more my speed but I have to give props for whatever the hell it is in that last pic!

Edit: And extra props for catching lightning in the third shot, good stuff!

Last edited by PIFFLE; 12-07-20 at 08:22 PM. Reason: lightning
Old 12-07-20, 09:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
To be clear, you're posting sentence fragments with lousy grammar structure on a bikey forum complaining about a colloquial abbreviation that's been part of common parlance for at least fifteen years.

Not sure what "good fight" you think you're fighting but shine on, you crazy diamond, you'll need all the sparkle you can get and it'll be a tough row to hoe with all that piss & vinegar gumming up your works.
There might be more words in idioms than actual dialogue here. Not saying it's a bad thing, just sayin'....

Also that's my favorite Pink Floyd song(s).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-12-20, 03:27 PM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Happy Saturday, rode my fixed gear on 75 mile ride today, legs are cooked. So looks like this topic that I created has sparked some controversy hahah I really don’t care, and I’m sorry but the last time I was in an English class was 30 plus years ago, ironically my youngest sister took all honors classes in English in HS and graduated college and rents a room. I however barely graduated HS and own rental property, go figure. Look just saying I could care less how my grammar is I get the point across and my spelling is good. I’m never going back to school I don’t get paid for my grammar so I could really care less.

FIXED GEAR
Old 12-13-20, 11:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I couldn't care less.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-14-20, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by PIFFLE

I mean it was a solid Pink Floyd reference so I will give you credit there but should we just continue doing something incorrectly just because hey we done did it for a while? Yes, that was probably a run on sentence, I ain't perfect.
Old 12-16-20, 01:12 PM
y0x8
Ups!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taxsaQZ4Nzg
Old 12-16-20, 03:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

That video may give you a headache, it did in my case and I had to shut it off quite quickly. Just as a warning to folks.
Old 12-16-20, 11:45 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've said fixie more than once or twice. But I fit the "...only people who use the term, "fixie," don't know how to ride fixed gear bikes." perfectly. Just ask Biketiger.
pMooney, Ask me - I'll show what you wrote three weeks ago in response to a post on the Fixed Gear page. You didn't say fixie:

"I've been running a 44-17 on my winter/rain/city commuter fix gear for 30 years. On my best fix gear I run either a..."

Please sir, I don't care what term you use to describe any of your bikes. Simply pointing out what you've actually said

Last edited by Biketiger; 12-16-20 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 06:20 AM
y0x8
Ups!

That video may give you a headache, it did in my case and I had to shut it off quite quickly. Just as a warning to folks.
softer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVmlM2GbInU
Old 12-17-20, 01:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by y0x8
So it is a time lapse of the bike in random places with no close ups? That is an odd one but okey dokey artichokey, if that is what the kids are doing these days. I was hoping to see riding or at least an overview of the bike or something. At least it wasn't so headache inducing and you could see things : )
Old 12-18-20, 02:18 AM
y0x8
Ups!

So it is a time lapse of the bike in random places with no close ups? That is an odd one but okey dokey artichokey, if that is what the kids are doing these days. I was hoping to see riding or at least an overview of the bike or something. At least it wasn't so headache inducing and you could see things : )
I don't like doing bike reviews. I don't like doing documentary trips. I make music videos of my bikes in different variations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1L8UmqwoGY&t=1s
Old 12-18-20, 01:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by y0x8
I don't like doing bike reviews. I don't like doing documentary trips. I make music videos of my bikes in different variations.
Fair enough. You do you ; )
Old 12-18-20, 02:17 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
meh.
Old 12-19-20, 11:13 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Winter Waltz with Indy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHlZp4OfW7I
Old 12-19-20, 11:17 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Rolling Fixed Gear in Forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXLS1Yj2nbQ
Old 12-19-20, 11:27 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Yesenin Valery Azarenka again spread out in a pattern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rGQha5gEXI
Old 12-19-20, 12:04 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Mushroom broth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-SFn5LhPdo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.