Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to drill cable routing holes into aluminum handlebars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it safe to drill cable routing holes into aluminum handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 06:21 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I can heartily recommend not using 1980s Adidas gum soled kids sports shoes 2 days after mum got them for you, especially not after you are told you aren't getting replacements for 6 months.
Shoes with stiffer soles is a good idea for that sort of thing. I had tried this as a kid and found out it worked pretty well, could even lift my rear wheel that way. The next time I tried it with something like keds on, and that didn't go as expected. Well the bike stopped instantly but I went OTB with my foot still wedged between front tire and fork crown.
Nevertheless, back when I rode bikes with a single, coaster brake, this method came in handy a couple times after a dropped chain.
Old 12-18-20, 11:35 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
done it to drop bars. I kept the hole size within 1/32 of the cable housings used. Made them oblong holes, set on the left & then on the right that allowed for two cable housings each to pass thru. The holes face downward as much as possible.

If i could have bought bars with the holes already, I would have done so.

Going on 4 years in service.
The bars you are speaking of exist. TTT made them back in the 80s. Besides the hole there was a reinforcing ring.
I drilled holes in at least two handlebars. Am still alive. Lots of riders did this when aero cable routing was new. Have seen Rene Herse completely original bikes with drilled holes. Herse was a very conservative mechanic to say the least.

And I would never do it again. Not worth the chance. Will only say that every broken handlebar ever seen (this used to be much more common than it is now) broke right next to the stem. If your holes are any distance at all away from the stem you might be OK. I said might. The other good tactic would be to start with overstrength handlebars, such as Nitto. And if it breaks on you don’t blame me.
Old 12-18-20, 11:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Especially with an alloy handlebar with owner drilled holes in it that are then covered with handlebar tape thereby hiding any crack that starts to form later.

Cheers
Or an aluminum fork crown with a machined plug press fit into the steerer, then a headset race slide over to hide everything. (First generation Lambert. As an engineering student, I often wondered ow they did the steerer/crown interface on mine but knew no one would ever do that!)