Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Sub11 cogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 06:01 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Sub 11.0 cogs

Anyone have any info on these? The only thing I find on google has to do with their track ends on old Surlys. Seems pretty decent quality. I was going to post it for sale locally but don't know where it sits as far as quality and desirability to price it accordingly.
Old 01-12-21, 07:17 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
A bigger question is how many people are going to want a 13T cog. I have one that I only used very occasionally for over gear power training, but never for racing, way too tall. Never mind riding on the street.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 01-12-21, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Never heard of the brand but TejanoTrackie brings up good points. There is a 14t on eBay for 15 buckaroos or Make an offer so I would assume you could potentially ask around that amount, at least according to the market.
Old 01-13-21, 04:43 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
A bigger question is how many people are going to want a 13T cog. I have one that I only used very occasionally for over gear power training, but never for racing, way too tall. Never mind riding on the street.
I agree. It's been banging around in my parts bin for a couple years now. Never had a use for it. Maybe for tracklecross with a 39 or 42t ring?
Old 01-13-21, 07:04 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
...The only thing I find on google has to do with their track ends on old Surlys....
Yes, that's right. IIRC from the stories I found when I was checking - the 1st Surly bike, which was originally thought of as Sub 11 not a Surly, was a 1x1 that had Sub 11 stamped trackends. In short order Sub 11 got folded into Surly/QBP and lost to history. FWIW I've seen a Sub11 lockring. Did I say Sub 11 enough?
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 01-13-21, 06:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Yes, that's right. IIRC from the stories I found when I was checking - the 1st Surly bike, which was originally thought of as Sub 11 not a Surly, was a 1x1 that had Sub 11 stamped trackends. In short order Sub 11 got folded into Surly/QBP and lost to history. FWIW I've seen a Sub11 lockring. Did I say Sub 11 enough?
Is this a new drinking game?

I didn't know about QBP taking over. Kind of sucky they got lost but I do like QBP they are the most organized and easy to use of all the different distributors and they do tend to a have a good wide selection of stuff I like and use. Their warranty department in some places could use a little jolt of speed but overall I am pretty satisfied.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-13-21, 06:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I have both a 13t and a 12t and use them. Not a lot, but when they are used, wow! are they appreciated. I run 42t or 43t chainring on my good fix gear (my logo on the left) and run all the 1/8" cogs when needed. Most of the time the cogs are 15t - 18t, running on nominally flat ground or small hills. But I designed that bike to go into big hills riding gears that were appropriate for a body that is no longer young. 42-23 or 42-24 are far more civilized on long, hard climbs of 1000' or more. Same issue downhill. 42-17 is not fun for an old butt. But 42-12 at 45+ MPH is a blast! The 3000' or so down into Ashland, OR - ear to ear fun. Descending the Crater Lake Rim down the North Entrance - in that gear, to die for. I've done it twice and will probably do it again. (Oh, that Ashland descent - I rode the 10 miles into town in that gear because I didn't want to stop. Kinda over-geared! Stopped near my destination. Got back on and it was "Nope, gotta change gears!")

Edit: That cog is a Sub11? I counted the teeth. It's a Super11. Second edit: That looks like a cog I would like. Nice, square teeth (and probably a little noisy). I have a newer Surly with rounded tooth edges. Much quieter but I have to run the chain a lot tighter to keep it from throwing off on rough roads and high speeds. I run EurAsia cogs in part because they are very square and secure. I see a lot of them at the Velodrome.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-13-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 08:20 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Edit: That cog is a Sub11? I counted the teeth. It's a Super11. Second edit: That looks like a cog I would like. Nice, square teeth (and probably a little noisy). I have a newer Surly with rounded tooth edges. Much quieter but I have to run the chain a lot tighter to keep it from throwing off on rough roads and high speeds. I run EurAsia cogs in part because they are very square and secure. I see a lot of them at the Velodrome.[/QUOTE]

It does seem to be a really high quality. The teeth are definitely sharp. I picked it up in a lot of NOS parts a couple years ago but never used it as I usually only need a 15,16 or 17t cog.

I will say I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been a SpinalTap reference yet.
Old 01-30-21, 10:07 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Yeah, Sub11 was bought up by QBP in the early '00s. 02, I think. By 2004, I stopped seeing sub11 cogs in q's catalog and started seeing surly branded ones.