Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BMX disc brake adapter

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

BMX disc brake adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 01:09 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
BMX disc brake adapter

Anybody have experience with these? Seems like a good option for a Kilo WT

Old 02-04-21, 02:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
If you race BMX you have a proper BMX bike this is a great idea for those who need it. For a fixed gear or single speed I would want an actual bike designed for disc brakes. Plus if I wanted to run just one disc brake I would run it at the front and I can get plenty of forks for that purpose.

You would need a special hub that is 120mm spaced which is not something that exists for disc brakes. The BMX stuff is usually 110mm so that wouldn't work.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-04-21, 03:46 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You would need a special hub that is 120mm spaced which is not something that exists for disc brakes.
Shuri makes a 120 fixed hub with a rotor mount, but I think it's a bad idea, anyway. The Box adapter only accepts a 140mm rotor and has a rider weight limit of 150 lbs.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-04-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Rolla
Shuri makes a 120 fixed hub with a rotor mount, but I think it's a bad idea, anyway. The Box adapter only accepts a 140mm rotor and has a rider weight limit of 150 lbs.
Hmmm...never heard of that company but a website called only high end dot biz is probably a good winner though I guess it could be just a German company and don't sell a ton in the U.S.? But yeah bad idea. If you need better braking it is all at the front anyway and there are disc brake single speeds and fixed gear frames out there and some good ones. Also there are plenty of excellent linear pull and cantilever brakes as well as side pull brakes and pads and cables and housing that will give excellent braking without the need for discs. The cantilever brakes on my Cinelli Work frame are fantastic and don't really need anything more and I can run 120mm hubs at the rear.
Old 02-05-21, 12:11 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
hubs that will take a disc rotor in a 120mm axle width are pretty rare.

what problem are you trying to remedy by switching to a disc brake? there may be alternatives to make the rim brake work better.
Old 02-05-21, 08:07 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
hubs that will take a disc rotor in a 120mm axle width are pretty rare.

what problem are you trying to remedy by switching to a disc brake? there may be alternatives to make the rim brake work better.
Not trying to remedy any problems. Just throwing these out there as a I just found out about them. I thought maybe they could be useful to somebody.
I mentioned the Kilo WT because it's steel and you would have no problems cold setting the rear triangle to accept a 130mm disc road hub.
Old 02-06-21, 01:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
Not trying to remedy any problems. Just throwing these out there as a I just found out about them. I thought maybe they could be useful to somebody.
I mentioned the Kilo WT because it's steel and you would have no problems cold setting the rear triangle to accept a 130mm disc road hub.
It would need to be 135mm which is 15mm of cold setting I don't know that I would want to try and stretch it to that on any bike. Road bikes that use discs and are older are generally 135mm QR, the new stuff is going to be 12x142 or some of the early thru axle stuff was 12x135.
Old 02-07-21, 10:48 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It would need to be 135mm which is 15mm of cold setting I don't know that I would want to try and stretch it to that on any bike. Road bikes that use discs and are older are generally 135mm QR, the new stuff is going to be 12x142 or some of the early thru axle stuff was 12x135.
Ah,I see. Just tossing around ideas in case anyone was into it.