Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Clamp on or undrilled options for brake calipers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 01:04 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts

Hey guys, know this has been discussed before, just wanted to see if there are any other options for alternatively mounted brake calipers before I pull the trigger on the Dia Compe clamp on option?

I have seen some other styles of brake calipers, but typically they are just pictures and not options to purchase. I am looking for a front, preferably as I have had knee surgeries (yes, plural) and have no desire to wreck them by skid stopping and I also like the versatility they provide when riding. Any leads or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-21, 01:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Other than swapping the fork for one with a mounting hole, canti bosses, or disc tabs, that Dia Comp clamp-on is probably the simplest and least expensive solution. Do post the results if you try it.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-17-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 05:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Get a frame that has brake holes is the best solution but if not I think Dia Compe clamp on (clamp off) are a good bet and with good shoes/pads and cables/housing you can get some decent braking. If you are just going front just get a new fork easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I don't know if the clamps for the Dia-Compes could be made to work with a different caliper but that would be pretty neat if you could. Not having touched one or seen one in real life I am unsure and the pictures are fine but I am just not sure and don't want to throw out something so bold and wild without knowing.
Old 02-17-21, 05:52 PM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I used one of those clamp-on dealies for many years - I think mine was a model from EuroAsia but I can't swear to it - it worked fine.

A few years ago I switched to:
https://alexscycle.com/products/801-...for-700c-fd700
and have never looked back.

I'm in the middle of dicking around with my bike so its easier to get a good look at it, I like it a lot...

I still have my old clamp-on assembly sitting around here somewhere sans caliper - just cover shipping and its yours if you want it...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 02-17-21, 10:29 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Thanks for all the replies. I have considered a tange or even generic chrome fork, as this is to go on the track bike I just built. I don't know what's worse, the non matching fork or the mediocre performance of a retro fitted caliper 🤷🏾‍♂️

That Alex cycles adapter is aces, but $121 is steep just for the contraption, plus expense for the caliper. I'm not keen on taking away tire clearance, which is usually a premium on these frames. Might take you up on that offer though, see if I can make it work.

First world problems, eh? LOL 🤣
Old 02-17-21, 10:31 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

IAmSam which offered better performance, or are they about the same? Appreciate all feedback.
Old 02-18-21, 11:27 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If the new fork is of a contrasting color, or fully chromed, then it doesn't have to match.
Old 02-18-21, 05:05 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
If the new fork is of a contrasting color, or fully chromed, then it doesn't have to match.
Exactly! Its when you try to match the colour of the aftermarket part to the rest of the bike and its slightly off.....is when it becomes obvious that you tried but failed.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-19-21, 07:41 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Exactly! Its when you try to match the colour of the aftermarket part to the rest of the bike and its slightly off.....is when it becomes obvious that you tried but failed.
Uhhh...no. Yes of course aesthetics may be important - in fact aesthetics as much as anything led to switching my front brake thingy. But way more important than matching your fork color is matching its specs right, or as close to right as possible. Have you or the OP ever heard of trail or offset or axle-to-crown? If not - learn before you start throwing a new fork on your bike just 'cos it is the right color. I'm pretty sure that there is some way to mathematically figure out how to make changes work, but to me it is far better to use the adaptor on my fork.

Originally Posted by Senrab62
IAmSam which offered better performance, or are they about the same? Appreciate all feedback.
Honestly to me the the only answer is...since the brake gets fairly little use I could not tell any real difference between them and am more than happy with what I have now. Unless a rider is overly brake dependent - for me both serve/d the purpose flawlessly. The reason I changed was simply that I had some loose change, my bike needed some attention, and...for aesthetics

If I can find the damn thing I'll post pics of it here. It has a couple different fork mounts to fit on rounder or more oval fork legs but I don't thing it will fit on wide alu or crabon...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 02-19-21, 08:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Obviously the most important criteria is ensuring the forks are spec'd correctly.....after that aesthetics need to be considered otherwise you're efforts will be diminished IMO
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-26-21, 07:22 AM
IAmSam

@Senrab62

Likes For IAmSam:
Old 02-26-21, 07:45 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Appreciate it

IAmSam thank you, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Regarding replacement fork, as has been mentioned, too many other factors when adding an aftermarket fork. Rake, trail, fork to brown, steerer length, etc. This or the quill adapter are the easiest and beat options for using the stock fork which was designed to work with the frame.

Always amazed at this forum. Thanks everyone who chimed in. I will keep my other thread updated with progress and picks as I continue getting this bike build complete.