Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-04-06, 06:15 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

I frequent this one pawn shop, and they have this bright red Fuji MTB for $34.95;. Has original decals, but the head tube is a Marlboro cigarette logo. 4130 chromoly frame(or so it says) The down tube goes straight down as normal, but before it gets to the BB, it curves down sharply into some sort of swivel joint. There's also a similar looking "joint" near the top of the frame. Is this a folding bike that Marlboro offered in their "miles" catalog?? $34 sounds like a decent price for a fuji of any kind. Is it worth picking up, if only for the hilarity of a cigarette company endorsing a MTB.
Old 11-04-06, 07:13 PM
DaFriMon
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably, from your description. These show up on Ebay pretty often, where they usually seem to go for over $100. This one (https://tinyurl.com/ymk35t) is sitting at $20.50, but he wants $73 shipping. So yes, $35 sounds like a good price, if it doesn't have anything disastrously wrong with it, and if you actually want it. You could see if the pawn shop owner will let you try to fold it, but then he might say "It folds? Cool! The price just went up!"
Old 11-04-06, 07:20 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have yet to see a bad product from Camel or Marlboro (I go around collecting miles - got some great stuff!).

My friend has that bike - rides well.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 11-04-06, 08:58 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
I have yet to see a bad product from Camel or Marlboro

Aside from the whole cigarette thing, lol. Cool, I will talk my wife into it. I would flip it of course.,,,,BD

Sorry trying hard to kick a two pack a day habit. I am bumming about 3 a week now, and hardly craving them when I'm not around them.
Old 12-07-06, 09:18 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Aside from the whole cigarette thing, lol. Cool, I will talk my wife into it. I would flip it of course.,,,,BD

Sorry trying hard to kick a two pack a day habit. I am bumming about 3 a week now, and hardly craving them when I'm not around them.
It gets easier as time goes on. Never goes away completely, but it does get easier.
Old 12-07-06, 09:52 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
It gets easier as time goes on. Never goes away completely, but it does get easier.
It does go away completely, but it takes years. But I still dream about it on occasion. It's been 19 years now...
Old 12-07-06, 11:32 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I've seen those and and worked on them. If the bike is in good shape buy it at that price. Not a great MTB but Ok for around town.
Old 12-08-06, 07:32 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
It does go away completely, but it takes years. But I still dream about it on occasion. It's been 19 years now...
Almost 19 for me and I'd say about 98% there, but it's been flat like that for several years.
Old 12-22-06, 10:33 AM
raverson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
So bikedued, did you ever get that Fuji? And has anyone determined the origins of the bike? Mine had a Marlboro logo on the head tube also but I bought it used and assumed the previous owner had slapped it on there.
I have completely stripped mine down to the frame and started over and must say that it rides very well as a commuter and travel bike. It has had all the original gear replaced with Shimano Deore 9 speed although I am using 7 speed trigger shifters with a spacer on the freehub for now. I commuted 12 miles one way a couple times a week on it, including a couple of pretty good hills with no complaints other than a bit of flexing in the BB area.
I still use it when we travel by car because it fits nicely folded in the trunk and is much more secure than atop the car. Since these pictures were taken I have added a rack and fenders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji Folder1.jpg (64.9 KB, 857 views)
Fuji Folder2.jpg (68.2 KB, 738 views)
Old 12-22-06, 11:00 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by raverson
So bikedued, did you ever get that Fuji? And has anyone determined the origins of the bike? Mine had a Marlboro logo on the head tube also but I bought it used and assumed the previous owner had slapped it on there.
I have completely stripped mine down to the frame and started over and must say that it rides very well as a commuter and travel bike. It has had all the original gear replaced with Shimano Deore 9 speed although I am using 7 speed trigger shifters with a spacer on the freehub for now. I commuted 12 miles one way a couple times a week on it, including a couple of pretty good hills with no complaints other than a bit of flexing in the BB area.
I still use it when we travel by car because it fits nicely folded in the trunk and is much more secure than atop the car. Since these pictures were taken I have added a rack and fenders.
It was a premium you get from Marlboro by saving labels or something. I have seen a couple. I saw one in a catalogue somewhere. At the time it was sold by Fuji too of course.

I considered buying one from Fuji. Then I realized a normal bike with quick release wheels is just as good to put in a car if you take the wheels off. And you get a better lighter bike and parts for the price if it's not a folder. The lighter bike is easier to put into the car trunk if you have a bad back.

Do you have a photo with the fenders and the rack?
Old 12-22-06, 11:45 AM
raverson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Here it is touring the PNW on our vacation in July '06. A great ride out Hwy. 12 to Mayfield Lake. And oh the fresh blueberries!
Attached Images
Wash. Vac. 7-06 015 (Small).jpg (82.8 KB, 833 views)
Old 12-22-06, 04:08 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by raverson
Here it is touring the PNW on our vacation in July '06. A great ride out Hwy. 12 to Mayfield Lake. And oh the fresh blueberries!
Nice photos, thanks.
Looks like a nice place to ride. I think that bike looks good set up that way.
Old 07-28-08, 05:52 PM
IceNine
El Duderino

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$75 on MKE craigslist posted 2 hours ago

linkster
Old 03-31-09, 10:33 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a chance to buy one for $25. How do you guys like yours (for those who have/had one)? Good? Bad?
I hope the seller hold it for me.
Old 04-01-09, 02:40 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
could we see one folded please.Or even post it on to the "folded pictures" thread.

thanks
Old 04-04-09, 12:08 PM
DVC45

Here ya go!
Folded

Unfolded

' just got her home.
Old 04-04-09, 01:45 PM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doh! Can we see it side on folded? Damned if I can see how it folds! LOL!
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 04-04-09, 02:38 PM
DVC45

Originally Posted by Chop!
Doh! Can we see it side on folded? Damned if I can see how it folds! LOL!

Loosen seat post QR, pull out seat post, fold, loosen stem QR, rotate stem to the side.
Its not a compact fold, definitely low end components..... but it folds and fit inside my Honda Passport trunk......and for $25, how can I complain?
I haven't weigh it yet, but it feels like the same weight as my DT folder.

EDIT: ' just found out, pedals folds too.

Last edited by DVC45; 04-04-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-26-11, 12:52 PM
vondavis51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji 'Marlboro' Folding Mtn. Bike

Just pulled mine out of storage, and was thinking of selling it, but after the above posts, I might just hang on to it, after all. I smoked Marlboro's, BITD, 1993 or 94, when this was a 'Marlboro Miles' premium...$100 & 2000 'Miles' (each Marlboro pack had a sticker for 5 Miles. So you get an idea of the expenditure involved. Cough)
It's OK for riding around town on paved surfaces, and I took mine along the Colorado River, on the paved bikepath upstream from Glenwood Springs, CO, fishing. Worked fine.
I like the addition of a decent rack and bag on it...

Last edited by vondavis51; 02-26-11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: left out a parentheses
Old 02-26-11, 07:09 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I consider anything under $50 for anything short of a WM bike a decent deal if it is all there. I paid about that for a Rolling Rock Promo bike, folding MTB. Turns out it is a 2002 and is the same as the Dahon Mariner 26 from that year.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-27-11, 01:56 AM
DVC45

I still have mine.

Here it is on its current form

' best $25 I spent on this hobby.
Old 08-01-11, 05:46 AM
HaChayalBoded

Bikes: an old Fuji folding piece of **** contraption thingamabob.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raverson

What size wheel\tires are those? Also what rack is that?

Same to you DVC45. How do you like the trekking bars on yours? I saw some folding ones but they were very expensive, more than the bike cost.

I just picked up one of these and it's a real rat, the only decent part of the bike seams to be the frame. All the parts seam to have been replaced from that of a cheap kmart bike. I only bough it because I had already spent $25 of gas to get there and $116 in tolls and refused to leave empty handed. If either of you have any original parts I'd love first crack at em.

Do you guys happen to know offhand the stem size? I was thinking of getting a riser, also the seatpost size? Mine is way too short.
Old 08-01-11, 04:08 PM
DVC45

Yes, I agree about the parts being sub-par. The cranks is the first one to go on mine, then the seat post, saddle...
It's still below $200 even with upgades, though.
I like the trekking bar for what it offers....multiple hand position. The brake levers and shifters just dropped right-in.

Sorry, I can't help with the stem size as the bike now resides in DC. I left it in my brothers house, so when I visit him, I don't have to bring a bike.
Old 08-21-11, 06:53 PM
vondavis51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, now I'm stoked...but I'm going to take a couple hours, tomorrow, and go watch the Salida, CO-Stage start of the US Pro Cycling Challenge...how could I not? It's about eight blocks from where I live. Not on the Fuji, though...but on my 'race bike': an 'oval-tube rainbow-frame' Pinarello, 1984 model. It's a criterium bike I bought in '86 from a former racer, and I still ride it every chance I get.

As for the Fuji...last year I found a complete, fairly new MTB in a dumpster at the local landfill...all OK except for a pair of flat tires. The bike is a 'Trail Head', 'Trailridge' model, with Shimano STI 200GS shifters, derailleurs and brakes, and 170mm cranks.
I'd like to strip it for the parts to put on my Fuji folder, because the Fuji actually fits me pretty good, and the dumpster bike's frame is too short and too small for me. (I'm 6', 150# ) I could use a little advice, though, about the rear derailleur, though... on the dumpster bike, the derailleur is bolted directly to a tapped hole in the frame, and the Fuji's derailleur is affixed to a metal plate which fastens to the frame. What will I have to do to mount the derailleur to the Fuji plate?
The Shimano STI, of course, is a 21 speed, and the Fuji is a 15 speed...I'll need to use spacers, from the junk bike's rear axle, right? Like I say, I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, in advance.
Old 08-21-11, 11:19 PM
DVC45

You might be stuck on using the current RD.
I converted mine to 21speed, using friction shifters. I did not have to replace the RD on mine. It has enough travel to accomodate the 7 gears. I say try it first with its current RD. It might work.
Good Luck!

Oh, BTW, I just missed one in the Chicago CL. It was only $15!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.