Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Anybody Doing Bike to Work Month?

Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Old 04-22-08, 08:35 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody doing Cascade's Bike to Work month for the Seattle area? I've got 2 teams going this time with mostly new commuters. We are seeking a friendly competition with another company that also has new commuters. No prizes, just a fun little challenge. Many of our new riders will not be riding every day.
Old 04-22-08, 08:57 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've got 3 4-person teams from the Engineering group at our company. A mix of regulars and newbies, as well as distances. The team I'm on is called isi-flats, named in honor of the flat I had on the way to work this morning.
Old 04-22-08, 09:26 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're fielding a team from SPSCC in the Intercity Transit Bike Commuter Contest in Olympia under the yet-to-be-designed banner of the Clipper Cycling Club, which is the club that I founded on campus last quarter to advance the whole bike agenda. I have to find out how many of us have signed up so far.
Old 04-23-08, 01:29 PM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of people in my office commute to work by bike. I wish there was a more obvious competition, like a public leader board or something.

In other words, lots of folks ride regardless of "bike to work month", so what's the incentive to go through the formalities of joining a team etc. This is definitely good for the newbies, I'm just speaking for folks who do this routinely.

-Sean
Old 04-23-08, 01:34 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
In other words, lots of folks ride regardless of "bike to work month", so what's the incentive to go through the formalities of joining a team etc. This is definitely good for the newbies, I'm just speaking for folks who do this routinely.
i feel the same way; every month should be bike-to-work month! (yes even in the winter..)

also for teams that are going for the most overall distance, it seems that some riders break the rules, e.g. going out of the way to get more miles in. why compete with that?

i'm just happy to know that for some of us every month is bike-to-work month. i'm not joining a team (there are a bunch starting here at MSFT), but i will be riding to work!

see ya on the road..

my race videos
Old 04-23-08, 03:50 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
i feel the same way; every month should be bike-to-work month! (yes even in the winter..)

also for teams that are going for the most overall distance, it seems that some riders break the rules, e.g. going out of the way to get more miles in. why compete with that?

i'm just happy to know that for some of us every month is bike-to-work month. i'm not joining a team (there are a bunch starting here at MSFT), but i will be riding to work!

see ya on the road..
Yeah, there are lots of ways to break the rules, but, why let a few people who have to cheat to win ruin your fun? Doesn't matter to me that my team isn't tops in mileage. I just like encouraging others to start riding.
Old 04-23-08, 04:10 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

see ya on the road..
I know that for the contest down here, if someone picks "the long way" to rack up miles, they're supposed to use that route every day, and that'll teach them a lesson. As far as joining a team, competing, etc: everybody has different motivations, so a drive to get more people to do something will employ different strategies to hook people in. I'm fine with that; it's little enough to serve a greater cause, which is getting more people on bikes and out of cars. I'm one of those who would ride anyway, so for me the contest is about showing leadership: I'm not asking anyone to do something I'm not already doing, and I'm doing something to help build the club's reputation and visibility. Also, it's nice to get a little external recognition for doing this. Just my .02
Old 04-23-08, 09:24 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're trying to get NEW commuters to come on board. For routine riders, the state wants to count how many people actually DO ride regularly. This helps them to plan traffic patterns better.

Originally Posted by smurf hunter
Lots of people in my office commute to work by bike. I wish there was a more obvious competition, like a public leader board or something.

-Sean
Old 04-23-08, 11:21 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
They're trying to get NEW commuters to come on board. For routine riders, the state wants to count how many people actually DO ride regularly. This helps them to plan traffic patterns better.
So, if we ride all over the city in May, will they put bike lanes in those streets?

No worries...I know the answer...one can hope, anyways.
Old 04-25-08, 12:57 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
team at work but its no big deal, everyone seems to ride to work so no real 'competition' to it; we rib our coworkers enough most everyone within a reasonable distance bike commutes at least part time and most of the good weather months.
Old 04-28-08, 04:00 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh! The marketing guys here told us that they'd buy everyone who participates jerseys with the company logo on them. Free swag!!
Old 04-30-08, 09:41 PM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a rival dept we're competing against. The losers buys the other team beer.
Old 04-30-08, 10:12 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unixpro
Heh! The marketing guys here told us that they'd buy everyone who participates jerseys with the company logo on them. Free swag!!
Cool!
Old 05-01-08, 05:50 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bike to work month? Around here, isn't that called the "usual"?
Old 05-01-08, 09:56 AM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and no.

I commute year-around, but didn't bother signing up for the contest last year. But, this year, I signed up as a solo team. I am Captain of my team and the Captain gets the swag and gets to go the Captain's party, which in past years involved beer.
Old 05-01-08, 10:49 AM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For most of us it's nothing new or different, but it is a way to encourage new riders. Our company has 4 or 5 people who are trying out bike commuting because of this. I can encourage that, so I went on a team.

OTOH, I heard a news story this morning that bike shops are doing lots of business both in sales of new and used and in repairs to bikes that were relegated to the back of the garage. I've also heard that ridership on both Metro and the Sounder trains are up significantly. Seems that the price of gas might finally be getting to people.
Old 05-01-08, 11:15 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My employer has a number of teams competing internally. I put my name and mileage out there on the company Intranet, waiting to see if I got drafted -- I did! Could be the first sporting activity, ever, where I wasn't picked last.
Old 05-01-08, 12:41 PM
octopuswithafez
Climbing and Biking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife would be mad

I work in my basement, the wife would be pretty annoyed if I rode down the stairs on my roadie. Maybe I could a BMX bike, it will probably do the corners a lot better. The tire marks on the walls, though, are another story

Old 05-01-08, 01:50 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by octopuswithafez
I work in my basement, the wife would be pretty annoyed if I rode down the stairs on my roadie. Maybe I could a BMX bike, it will probably do the corners a lot better. The tire marks on the walls, though, are another story

You could always take the long way to the basement. You know...the one that goes through Tacoma?
Old 05-01-08, 08:40 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I signed up as an individual the last few years. This year I'm not going to bother. I'm just going to ride my bike to work, like I would do anyway.
Old 05-02-08, 10:22 AM
daver42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too about skipping the formalities of signing up as an individual this year. I think it's great however for new commuters to sign up and get them excited about biking in to work. I still love Bike to Work Day though where they've got stops set up around the city where you can get some free bike swag.
Old 05-06-08, 03:02 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm attending the breakfast tomorrow (last minute) at the Sheraton...the thing that cracks me up is this:

"Attire
Business or business casual. There are large rest rooms available for changing for the breakfast if you are commuting by bike."

Um, I won't be changing I think. Shouldn't those who DO actually bike in on BIKE TO WORK DAY stand out?
Old 05-06-08, 03:04 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm attending the breakfast tomorrow (last minute) at the Sheraton...the thing that cracks me up is this:

"Attire
Business or business casual. There are large rest rooms available for changing for the breakfast if you are commuting by bike."

Um, I won't be changing I think. Shouldn't those who DO actually bike in on BIKE TO WORK DAY stand out?
Old 05-22-08, 08:25 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To everyone who thought Bike to Work Month was just feel-good talk. Cascade just reported that riders have logged over 600,000 miles this month already. They're trying for 1million miles.
Old 05-22-08, 10:56 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to, but, the login I signed up with doesn't work. I can't log my miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.