Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam 2 Disc vs Specialized Cross Trail Hydraulic Disc

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 12:05 AM
mosy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am looking to purchase my first real bike and am interested in an entry level hybrid. I have narrowed it down to the Giant Roam 2 Disc or the Specialized Cross Trail Hydraulic Disc. These are both mid options within their respective lines. Having no knowledge of the component hierarchy, I have no way of knowing which of these bikes is better, in terms of components, specs, value, etc. The Giant comes in at 645 and the Specialized at 670. (As a side point, I like the overall look and color options of the Specialized.)

Below are links to the product pages for these two models:

giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-2-disc

specialized.com/us/en/crosstrail--hydraulic-disc/p/157825?color=237245-157825

If anyone can take a look and advise me as to which bike to go with I'd really appreciate it!

If the Roam is reccoemnded, I have a follow up question. The 2018 model of the Roam 2 seems to still be available. The specs and components seem to be the same, except the 2018 model has Shimano M315 brakes and the 2019 model has the tektro HD-M275. Is one of these better than the other?

Lastly, at 5"8 with a 29 inch inseam, it seems I'm right between Small and Medium. Am I better off going S or M?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mosy; 05-31-19 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-31-19, 01:41 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Honestly they are pretty close in components
If both at the same shop (my LBS has both Giant and Spec) just test ride both
and if both feel the same then buy the best paint job, dont sweat all the other stuff
Old 05-31-19, 05:58 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by mosy
(As a side point, I like the overall look and color options of the Specialized.)
Assuming you can find a Specialized model that fits you well, then I'd probably end the discussion right here. The components are all very similar (functionally interchangeable), but can be replaced over time by newer/different/better as you wish. The frame style and color, however, cannot be so easily changed. I strongly recommend buying the size and color you like, then decide if you want to change something here or there.

To your question on Shimano vs. Tektro brakes, they're pretty similar. I've owned both, and prefer the Shimano for a few reasons, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. I like the bleeding system on Shimanos better and I think the calipers and levers are a little nicer with Shimano. That said, you can get a complete set of M315 brakes off eBay for about 50 bucks, so if you bought a bike with Tektro or Promax or any other brand and decided you didn't like them, it wouldn't be all that expensive to replace them with Shimano down the road.