Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Are Some Biking Headphones.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 08:15 PM
I922sParkCir

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just can't use my Grado Labs SR-60's anymore because they slide off. So, what are good head phones to bike with? I'm a bit pickey and prefer good sound quality. With safety in mind, I would also prefer an open-air design so I can still hear surrounding noise.

Thank You,
- Jai
Old 09-07-07, 10:03 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never found any headphones that work well for cycling. I do have some winter earmuffs with built in speakers that are great for in the winter though.

https://www.180s.com/sub_category.asp...d=4&psku=70256

As for non winter riding, earbuds, or if you don't want anything in your ear, earbuds combined with slipstreamz

https://www.slipstreamz.com/
Old 09-07-07, 10:07 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

FFS, please, pay attention. Bike paths are a little different story, but still. iPod Zombies for the lose.
Old 09-07-07, 10:30 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trollol?
Old 09-07-07, 10:55 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these...

https://www.v-moda.com/
Old 09-07-07, 11:05 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say a basic pair of earbuds would be fine, since you'll only be using one of them.
Old 09-07-07, 11:21 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
get some incanal headphones. The cheaper ones are sometimes normal ear buds with squishy bits attached on to them, but the good ones are truly designed for the purpose of insertion into your ear. Drowns out about 30 decibels of outside noise, meaning you can hear someone talk, or a car engine as long as you're not blasting it. Doesn't slide out easily. Used by pro and amature race drivers so they can hear the pit crew better, but still hear what is going on around them.

No point in open air I think, you'd barely be able to hear them with the wind buffeting.

iPod zombies suck, yes, but we'll give you a fair warning (so does the packaging) about use around machinery. So pay attention, put it at a reasonable volume and ride safe.
Old 09-07-07, 11:38 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
+1
I use sony in-ear(used to be called ex81's) headphones. Reduce wind noise but can still hear well...and they dont fall out or interfere with helmet straps.

DO NOT use isolation earphones that poke right in and work as ear plugs.
Old 09-08-07, 12:09 AM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, It's just plain crazy to ride on the road with earphones. This is coming from a guy who commutes without a helmet. But hey, do what you want.
Old 09-08-07, 12:16 AM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

FFS, please, pay attention. Bike paths are a little different story, but still. iPod Zombies for the lose.
You don't need to hear to have situational awareness. Riding and headphones can be done safely. To me, music makes exercise, commuting and life in general much more enjoyable, and as such I'll continue to enjoy it.

This thread may well be a troll, but responses like that are just as bad.
Old 09-08-07, 12:28 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Noise canceling ear phones by Sony. Ever since I bought them, drivers quit yelling at me.... I think. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to ignore everyone! I bought some for $50 at Radioshack, no problems with them, and comfortable as hell! You can't hear cars coming up on you, but deaf people bike, right?
Old 09-08-07, 03:28 AM
Pepper Grinder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Portable speakers strapped to your handlebars.

I got the speakers; I still haven't figured out how to mount it effectively, but when I do, watch out!
Old 09-08-07, 07:36 AM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

AMEN!!!!!!

You cannot pay attention to the road in clear detail with headphones blasting your favorite rap or whatever you listen to. Even if you have the volumn way down you still can't hear details especially early signs of problems. A lot times cars will speed up just before you reach an intersection because they want to beat you to it and turn in front of you, if you can't hear that engine speed increase then your missing a clue that could save your life. That's just one example, and if you've been riding for any length of time I'm sure you could think of others that if your hearing was hindered you may have crashed and burned.

Situational awareness is important also as one poster mentioned, however to be as safe as possible you need reduntant senses and hearing is that. If situational awareness was the only thing you needed then the space shuttle wouldn't need 4 reduntant computers and a 5th as back up!!! (get the ideal? 5 computers 5 senses...hmmm). Sure a deaf person could ride a bike, but a deaf person as their other senses heightened to a degree ours are not; but you and I are not deaf so we need to use all of our senses to remain safe.

Last edited by freako; 09-08-07 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-08-07, 07:44 AM
merckxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi taperworm, do your Sony headphones really cancel all the wind noise when you are cycling? What is the type?
Old 09-08-07, 07:46 AM
I922sParkCir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your guys advice. I think I'm going to go with Sennheiser PMX70 Sport Line Stereo Neckband Headphones. In-ear headphones scare me because they block out to much noice. I'd rather not hear my music but hear the cars. I live in busy SoCal, to traffic is a huge concern.

What do you guys think?
-Jai
Old 09-08-07, 08:40 AM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I922sParkCir
Thanks for your guys advice. I think I'm going to go with Sennheiser PMX70 Sport Line Stereo Neckband Headphones. In-ear headphones scare me because they block out to much noice. I'd rather not hear my music but hear the cars. I live in busy SoCal, to traffic is a huge concern.

What do you guys think?
-Jai
What?? you say you live in busy traffic area and in-ear headphones scare you yet your looking at those Sennheiser's? Where in the hell do you think those ear buds are going to go? THEIR GOING IN YOUR EARS! And if you have something in your ears and music being pumped into it then your blocking some of the sound you need to hear from traffic.

I give up, go get some headphones and blast away with out a care in world; I don't know you from Adam, so I don't care if you die or get maimed from not being able to hear well enough that could have prevented an accident; I won't shed a tear since we're not personally involved with each other.
Old 09-08-07, 08:49 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts

What do you guys think?
-Jai
I think that natural selection can likely take care of the issue, but what about others who, not guilty, will potentially die or will get physically and/or psychologically injured on the occasion.
Old 09-08-07, 08:55 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarery
As for non winter riding, earbuds, or if you don't want anything in your ear, earbuds combined with slipstreamz

https://www.slipstreamz.com/
I got a pair of these recently and they work well. I can listen with the volume pretty low because they actually cut down on wind noise alot. I can still hear and concentrate on vehicles. It isn't like I close my eyes and start singing to the music in a trance or something. It isn't any more distracting then a car stereo would be when you drive a car. I do have a nice pair of schure in the ear canal noise cancelling ear buds which I wouldnt' recommend. For me I'd get ear infections from using it because it would heat up my ear since it plugs it up plus it will make it so you can't hear anything until someone jams on the horn.

I've tried speakers on the bike and on the neck and the wind noise was horrible so over 10mph I couldn't hear at all and then when stopped it was blasting.
Maybe if you tried the spoiler from over at slipsteamz combined with speakers it would be ok.
Old 09-08-07, 09:43 AM
I922sParkCir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freako
What?? you say you live in busy traffic area and in-ear headphones scare you yet your looking at those Sennheiser's? Where in the hell do you think those ear buds are going to go? THEIR GOING IN YOUR EARS! And if you have something in your ears and music being pumped into it then your blocking some of the sound you need to hear from traffic.
Ok, wow. First of all, those are not in-ear headphone those are banded earbuds. When I said in-ear headphones I meant ones that go inside the ear cannal. These don't entirely block out the noise of traffic.

Originally Posted by freako
I don't care if you die or get maimed...
Stop being a troll. I joined this community because I liked how much people care, which is clearly not the case for you. Here's a lesson about forum etiquette, you don't need to tell people that you don't care if they die to get your point accross, facts and experiance work much better.

Than you,
-Jai
Old 09-08-07, 09:52 AM
jmb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sony MDR-ED21LP
About $20
I have small ears. Almost never fall out good sound.
Ignore the Trolls
Old 09-08-07, 09:54 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Stop being a troll. I joined this community because I liked how much people care, which is clearly not the case for you. Here's a lesson about forum etiquette, you don't need to tell people that you don't care if they die to get your point accross, facts and experiance work much better.
+1. The fearmongering safety nannies who have no evidence to support their claim always resort to the intimidation techniques. "Okay, I give up, walk and chew gum at the same time and suffocate to death, what do I care?" Or "Ok, don't accept Jesus as your saviour and rot in hell, you filthy *******."

Last edited by chephy; 09-08-07 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-08-07, 10:42 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merckxy
Hi taperworm, do your Sony headphones really cancel all the wind noise when you are cycling? What is the type?
Yikes, I'm not sure what model they are. But you can't hear ANYTHING except for the music. And the sound is pretty damn good too. Again, they're made by Sony and they costed around $50... the more you pay the happier you'll be. Kinda the way it works.
Old 09-08-07, 11:33 AM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, wow. First of all, those are not in-ear headphone those are banded earbuds. When I said in-ear headphones I meant ones that go inside the ear cannal. These don't entirely block out the noise of traffic.
-Jai
It doesn't matter if their ear buds or phones, their still going into or over the ear thus eliminating noise just by that act alone without the introduction of music, add music to the mix and now your hearing is compromised.

Like I said before do whatever you want because you will anyway, and we all have self will to do whatever we want.
Old 09-08-07, 11:53 AM
gosmsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah!!!

I am a member of the safety police too.

I once saw a deaf kid riding his bike and I PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE!!!!!!! It was harsh but it may have saved his life.

If someone rides VC then they do not need to hear. I listen to talk radio so its not like I am just blarring it but I have found that if anything it cuts wind noise and I can hear cars better.

The one persons example is the perfect reason why they should ride VC. A VC rider would have already taken the lane when approaching an intersection as to eliminate the possibility of a driver passing and left hooking them. Riding to the right in an intersection is bad form with or without headphones.

But some are right. If you ride like a NYC messenger then you probably should not wear headphones.

Deer do not live long around roads so I try not to act like one.
Old 09-08-07, 12:46 PM
synergy
newbie clyde

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Frontier 18 spd MTB with 1.7" road tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of headphones or earphones in your ears, check this device out:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=340853

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.