Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1999 Shimano Ultegra set with a new Shimano Ultegra 6700 9-Speed Cassette

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 08:26 AM
RookDroid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am currently trying to buy an old Cannondale R2000 but the owner has no wheelset. I was wondering if I could use a newer wheelset with a Shimano Ultegra 6700 9-Speed Cassette with the 1999 group set. Furthermore, I was wondering what would be a reasonable price for this bike. Thanks
Old 09-06-12, 09:09 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the Shimano cassette body hasn't changed, so the older cassette will still work on new wheels with a Shimano body.

Price depends upon condition, whether it's STI or not, that sort of thing.
Old 09-06-12, 09:41 AM
RookDroid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The specifications for the bike are full Shimano ultegra components with STI shifters.

https://66.147.244.179/~vintagm8/year/1999/1999V2.pdf
Old 09-06-12, 09:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Yes, but a 6700 cassette is a 10-speed cassette.
It will be spaced differently than a 6500 9-speed cassette.

For pricing, roll the dice.
Old 09-07-12, 10:50 AM
RookDroid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some images of the bike. Does anyone see any glaring issues with it that I should be worried about? I've notice a bit of rust and what looks to be paint chips on the frame and fork. I just want to make sure I don't purchase a unrideable/unsalvageable bike. It's my first time buying an used bike and am not completely sure what I should be looking out for. Thanks for your time!

https://imgur.com/a/Jj3xX#0
Old 09-08-12, 05:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I can only go by the pictures. The pitting looks like exposure to sweat or moisture on the components.
The seat post is generally a giveaway on that, and shows it.
The bike has been let sit after a few sweaty rides, in my opinion, but that could just be cosmetic.
The Slice fork is a good one, and helps a lot to ameliorate a pretty stiff frame.
The damage to the wrap is again, cosmetic, but under that wrap, you may find a corroded bar.
The lack of wheels may be due to the same exposures that pitted the components, affecting the rims/hubs.

The 9-sp Ultegra group is a good one, generally very solid, and the Ultegra BB is pretty durable.
I'd pull on those brake levers and look inside those shifters for signs of corrosion.
I'd also check inside the heads of the allen bolts on the bike, on the cages, brake cable clamps, stem bolt, etc.
If you see significant rust in those, the bike may well have sat outside or under a shelter instead of indoors.
Again, cosmetic, but something to think about regarding the past care/handling/maintenance of the bike.

You will need 9-sp wheels, and around here, there are lots of good deals on wheels. In most cases, the freehub that accepts a 9-sp cassette will accept 8/9/10 Shimano or SRAM cassettes. However, make sure that the wheels you buy are not 10-sp only. They have deeper splines on the freehub that only work with 10-sp cassettes. They are often for sale at great prices, for that reason. I've run across 3 sets of these, for great prices, in the last 3 months alone, but for a 9-sp application, they're worthless.

Your first post mentions a 6700 casssette. That is 10-sp, and will not work with the group on that bike. I have no idea the price or terms of the sale, but the bike without wheels may be a good deal. I've seen 9-sp Ultegra groups from about $235 to $325, off the bike.

A set of wheels should run you $125-$175, and I assume you'll need tires and tubes. Often, used wheels come with tires and tubes, so keep that in mind. A 9-sp cassette, used, will often be worn out, that's why it's for sale. SRAM makes pretty reasonably-priced 9-sp cassettes. Wrap will run you about $20, depending on what you want. For a Cannondale, even with that fork, I'd get padded wrap and maybe some extra cushioning wherever you place your hands (hoods or drops).

It can be a real head-turner, but I can only offer general advice. If I was looking at it, with the appearance of the pitting on the components, I'd be checking that seat post for corrosion, and the bars under that wrap, and then each component separately to make sure this wasn't ridden hard (no problem there) and then not cleaned or maintained very well (which would drive my offer down).

The mismatched wheels in the photo show a ton of wear on the front, and corrosion/exposure on the rear that matches the rest of the bike. I think it's had a lot of use, and I don't think it's had a lot of maintenance. That it's attractive is a nice comment on Cannondale and Shimano quality.

Given the appearance and no wheels, I'd not go above $300. My guess is that I'd need to put a set of wheels, cables, tires/tubes, a cassette, wrap, and a chain on it. I'd check the bottom bracket, because that's not serviceable. The headset is serviceable, and it simply needs a lot of cleanup and adjustment and lubrication.

You can learn a lot on it, but I would be wrong not to warn you that you can start at $300 and easily get to $500 to have it rolling nicely. That is still not out of line in my book. A 9-sp Ultegra high roller for five bills is not bad. However, $500-$650 can buy a lot of used bikes that may not need any work. Good luck.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-08-12 at 05:27 PM.