Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Exercises to make me a monster climber?!

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Exercises to make me a monster climber?!

Old 11-29-19, 11:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Sounds like my setup. A 5-6% grade is torture on a 74 inch gear. Feels like at least 14-15%.

why is there a gear on both sides of your rear wheel? Does this allow you to reverse the wheel?
Old 11-30-19, 02:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
I’m 50 and got my first bike in decades last month. I wanna really enjoy XC mountain biking and that means hills and climbing. I have already started getting my body in better shape. I already lost 25 pounds, wanna lose another 20-30. I can only ride twice a week because of work and daylight but the rest of the week I am power walking (will probably step that up to jogging), weight lifting and treadmill interval training. Are there things that I can do that will directly translate to better climbing? I have started to add 15 minutes of treadmill walking at pace with extreme inclines to the end of workouts. That seems to directly work the thigh and calf muscles. I have some friends (half my age) that mountain bike and I wanna feel confident I can keep up on a intermediate ride. Don’t want them to have to wait for the old man to get up the hill.
Thanks for this! I actually have started to seek out hills and climb them, smaller ones for now. When I see a grade coming up, I actually have started to shift up, and stand and power up the grade and keeping my momentum rather than shift down and stay seated. My attitude is more to attack the climbs rather than granny gear them. Have not done this on longer climbs yet, but today I am going to some trails with some climbing involved...lets see how I do...I am 15 pounds lighter and in better shape than the last time I did this trail, so lets see how it goes.

Climb stairs. Real ones. Flights and flights of them. However, if you're also doing other things, like cycling, you might want to limit the stairs to 25-30 flights a day 4-5 days a week.
Old 11-30-19, 03:52 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
why is there a gear on both sides of your rear wheel? Does this allow you to reverse the wheel?
One is fixed, the other freewheels. Generally called a flip-flop wheel.
Old 11-30-19, 04:27 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by zacster
One is fixed, the other freewheels. Generally called a flip-flop wheel.
so now a follow up...does that mean that when swapping gears you need to reinstall the tire? my tires are uni-directional, do you use bi-directionals on the rear? and how much of a difference does a uni-directional matter once the tread wears away? or is that more about tire construction that tread? hmm, time for some research.
Old 11-30-19, 04:49 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by spelger
so now a follow up...does that mean that when swapping gears you need to reinstall the tire? my tires are uni-directional, do you use bi-directionals on the rear? and how much of a difference does a uni-directional matter once the tread wears away? or is that more about tire construction that tread? hmm, time for some research.
hmmm...learned a lot...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Old 12-09-19, 08:55 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m 50 ...weight lifting and treadmill interval training. Are there things that I can do that will directly translate to better climbing? I have started to add 15 minutes of treadmill walking at pace with extreme inclines to the end of workouts. That seems to directly work the thigh and calf muscles. ....
Sounds good, it's hard to tell what your situation is from a post of course. Once you get a base of fitness you can use weight lifting to directly build your legs. I'm talking a barbell and deadlift and squat, and progressive overload adding more weight to the bar.
The gradual side effect of your losing weight (fat) and building muscle under heavy weights will also be an increase in your T levels, which decline with age. Better testosterone in turn will help you improve power and fitness. Dunno about your diet, but get plenty of protein, cholesterol, and one brazil nut a day for T