Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Brightest flashing headlight available?...suggestions?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Brightest flashing headlight available?...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@KC8QVO, we may live in very different places, so what works for one of us may not work for the other. In all of NYC, I can't find a totally dark place. Street lights are everywhere, and there are many other sources of light, too.

I feel safer running lights day and night. I don't need anyone telling me my lights are on. Here in NYC, no one gives tips like that anyway.

I think saying "[passing] on your left" fails because the pedestrian only hears "left" and may think they're being told to move left. My warning is a bell ring or "hello," and I let others decide which way to go.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-19, 01:29 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Just to compare, I have the Ixon IQ Premium for around 2-3 years, which is labeled as 80 Lux, while the Ixon Space is labeled 150 Lux. The IQ premium 80 Lux is already extremely bright and wide at the high setting. The low setting is 15 Lux and it's quite dim. The 2 packaging options for IQ Premium are either with battery and AC adapter charger or BYOB. I chose BYOB because there is no USB charging. The NiMH batteries that I supplied myself only last at most 2 hours on high 80 Lux, so I recharge them very frequently with some other separate charger. When the battery gets to low power, the light will automatically dim to the low 15 Lux setting.

The old handlebar holder was very shaky because of it's "spherical" floating rubber insert. The QR lever broke a month ago, so I bought the "newer" holder for $5, which is much more stable because they did away with the spherical insert, and the band clamps directly onto the handlebar. Instead, the upper top plate has a left/right swivel to give lateral adjustment. One annoying issue with the IQ Premium is the uneven light distribution. There are bright and dark zones in the beam. The upper center zone has an extremely bright spot and sometimes my eyes tend to unconsciously focus on it.

Generally, the IQ Premium is ok. Very bright and wide beam. But I wish it would have a more even light distribution without the bright spot, and it would be better if it had USB charging.

I have no experience with the Ixon Space, so I can't give any feedback on it. But it does have USB charging. The photos of the holder looks similar to the old "spherical" type that originally came with IQ Premium, but slightly different, so I don't know how its stability compares.
Thanks very much for this.
Old 11-09-19, 01:46 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Interesting thought. I agree lots of light isnt necessary on a MUP/MUT. There are several I have rode a lot, combined -thousands of miles. Lots of them are no where near roads. Ive told other riders - during the daytime when they are on some of these trails - that "your lights are still on" as we pass, as if they forgot to turn them off. If I left my lights on and someone told me that Id be appreciative. Maybe I am an exception, but I like to conserve power in my internally powered Cygolite's so I have juice for when Im on the road - where I need the light, not trails.

The times Ive had issues with other people on MUP/MUT's it has been people tuned in to what their dogs are doing or their heads are burried in their cell phones. So I never thought a flashing light would do much anyway - I just yell at them from a decent distance to announce my presence and passage.

Although, I have never understood why when I yell out "passing on your left" people move to the left - across the whole trail right in front of me. Usually that happens with a spider web of dog leashes in the mix too.

In any event, seems to me to make more sense to leave the lights off on the trails. Even at night I just run enough head light to see where Im going. If trail conditions dictate more I use more.
I agree with the concept that minimal lighting should be required on these MUPs, but here, the most popular one, called the Springwater Corridor, goes through some heavily forested areas at times. I often ride it in the dark and usually am alone, unless it is close to either dawn or dusk. The problem is, on one section there is some kind of insane population of bunnies and they love to scurry across the trail at the last second. They're everywhere. Also, of course, we have deer and they are not known for their wisdom in crossing roadways. We just had a hunter here killed by a deer he had shot who then impaled him, as he was not yet dead. Deer are unbelievably dangerous statistically speaking. And last but not least, we have a very substantial cougar population. A mountain biker in Washington state and a hiker maybe forty miles east of where parts of this trail go were both killed by cougars last year, so the danger is real here. In all three of three of the above wildlife situations, running very minimal lighting in the dark could get me hurt bad or killed. I can't quote any stats for you, but it is my belief that "noisily" announcing my arrival on the trail with abundant lighting is probably a good move for me, given where I ride when in the dark.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-09-19, 04:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Interesting thought. I agree lots of light isnt necessary on a MUP/MUT. ....
Originally Posted by noglider
I feel safer running lights day and night. ....
I often leave my dyno powered lights on when riding during daytime, they are not flashing and do not bother anyone. And unlike some of the super bright ones, the headlights have a sharp cutoff and are limited to the hub output, thus low wattage. Even though they might not be very bright during daytime, still traffic on roads appears to be more polite to me when my head light is on.

That said, only some of my bikes have dyno lighting and sometimes I have my dyno powered lights off so I can use the hub to charge batteries instead of providing light. So, I do not always have lights on during daytime.

Up until a few years ago someone would tell me my lights are on a couple times a month, but now so many others have lights on during the day it is almost common place. So, instead people ask why I do not have my lights set to flash.
Old 11-09-19, 05:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
By the sounds of it, @bpcyclist, yes, you need a lot more light than the rest of us need. We hardly have any bunnies, and I've never had one cross my path. Squirrels and rats, plenty. No mountain lions, either, but yes deer. I'm speaking of both New York City and upstate New York. I don't ride at night when upstate.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-10-19, 12:48 PM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Obviously this is a bit of a controversial topic for cyclists.

To directly answer the question, the brightest flashing headlight I've used is the Magicshine MJ-908 (x8 Cree XM L2 LEDs). The light package isn't listed on Magicshine anymore, but you can buy the lighthead and battery separately still. I wouldn't recommend riding with it though, it's blinding for any oncoming traffic.

If you just want a good daytime flashing light, the Light & Motion Vya Pro headlight is a good choice. It's tiny and has their trademarked 'SafePulse' flash mode which is claimed to be safer than a normal flash mode.