Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying bike for girlfriend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 05:54 PM
visionz001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that some people could help me decide what bike to buy for my gf. Me and some friends recently bought some cheap bikes on bikesdirect.com (I know that many people frown upon the vendor but we were seriously on a budget and decided to buy the bikes to get us started) Anyways, we've been doing some rides (~26mile rides twice a week) but my girlfriend has a pretty crappy 7 spd beach cruiser that cannot keep up with our pace.

I've been contemplating helping her buy a road bike so she can finally ride with us without us having to slow down every so often. Yet again we are on a very tight budget and my only choices are to buy used or choice another bike from bikesdirect.

Recently I saw an ad on craigslist of a Cannondale R300 triple for $300. I was considering this but found out that this model bike is ~10 years old. Also I'm not sure if buying a used bike online would be reliable.

Additionally there are plently of vintage road bikes going on craigslist for < $250. But for the same reason as the Cannondale, the reliability is questionable because of its age and being used. (most use tube shifters)

My last choice would be a Bikesdirect bike which have several model bikes that sell for $300 and under (although these all have tube shifters). The plus side of this would be knowing that the bike is brand new.

If possible can anybody give me some advice on which path to follow. She doesn't need an incredibly good bike since we have only begun getting into cycling. She just needs something decent that would be capable of keeping up with our road bikes. We are all around the same level of fitness and have an average speed of 13-15mph (I've been told thats pretty slow but I blame the weight of the bike and our fitness levels ) I'm not sure how fast the my gf averages but I'd assume its around 8-10mph.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 04-23-11, 05:59 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Tandem?!!!
Old 04-23-11, 06:03 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Get her on a bike that is on par or better than yours. Unless you really know what you're doing buying a used bike and are comfortable making adjustments or spending some more $ to get it tuned, I'd go the BD route again, if it's workin' for you. If she thinks you bought her an inferior bike, it will just send a message that she's not worth it.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-23-11, 06:07 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
Get her on a bike that is on par or better than yours. Unless you really know what you're doing buying a used bike and are comfortable making adjustments or spending some more $ to get it tuned, I'd go the BD route again, if it's workin' for you. If she thinks you bought her an inferior bike, it will just send a message that she's not worth it.
Yeah. Don't buy her a bike that's not as good as yours.

Know what the definition of a successful man is? One who makes more money than his wife/girlfriend can spend.
Old 04-23-11, 06:09 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be afraid to buy a tandem in fear that I will become the only person pedaling ahha.

I'm assuming with my knowledge in cycling (very minimal at this point) that I could really screw myself over buying a used bike. I wasn't sure if buying a more reliable model from the past would be better than buying a model that currently has a majority of negative feedback.

EDIT:
Additionally, I'm not quite sure how interested she is in cycling regularly which is why I'm just trying to find something that would do the job. I seem to be the only one that has been riding regularly with them tagging along every other ride or so.

Last edited by visionz001; 04-23-11 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-23-11, 06:15 PM
KiuBWhy

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the not cheaping out. The fact that she's actually trying to go on rides with you and is interested should motivate you enough to provide her with a bike that you would ride yourself.
Old 04-23-11, 06:15 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Do what SOOOOOOOOOO many others have done in the past; Narrow it down to two or three choices and let the brain trust here duke it out. There will be a lot of crap to wade through but some useful info will come and you might find a winner.

Old 04-23-11, 06:21 PM
beerob81
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got my girl the Trek Lexa...the components arent awesome but we can ride together and shes not getting left behind because shes on a cruiser or some dumb **** like that. She loves it too. Had our first ride together today. Took her awhile to get into the shifting but everything seems to fit her well.
Old 04-23-11, 06:22 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the way its been sounding it seems like BD is the way to go. hopefully its not "cheaping out" too much because I'm certain I can't afford the LBS prices. (College Student on College budget )
Old 04-23-11, 06:22 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Yeah. Don't buy her a bike that's not as good as yours.

Know what the definition of a successful man is? One who makes more money than his wife/girlfriend can spend.
So it's a fictional concept?
Old 04-23-11, 06:24 PM
beerob81
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the girls that worked at the LBS tried to get her on a hybrid and I quickly asserted that she would have a hard time keeping up with us. Shes just as athletic as me and really pushed it today. she did 20miles and enjoyed it thoroughly
Old 04-23-11, 06:25 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Do what SOOOOOOOOOO many others have done in the past; Narrow it down to two or three choices and let the brain trust here duke it out. There will be a lot of crap to wade through but some useful info will come and you might find a winner.
Or just skip the agida and just get the BF fave: CAAD 10. (Not that that's really always the right answer.)
Old 04-23-11, 06:29 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i checked the trek lexa which looks really nice but unfortunately I can't afford it FML. Then i searched the CAAD 10 and nearly died looking at the price. cruel joke!! Hopefully one day in the distant future i can get a bike like that though
Old 04-23-11, 06:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Let her buy her own bike.
Give her some cash to help.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-23-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 06:41 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by visionz001
i checked the trek lexa which looks really nice but unfortunately I can't afford it FML. Then i searched the CAAD 10 and nearly died looking at the price. cruel joke!! Hopefully one day in the distant future i can get a bike like that though
The CAAD 8 is cheaper but still pretty friggen awesome. If that's still too much, used or BD are your only reasonable options.
Old 04-23-11, 07:31 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
+1,000,000

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-23-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 07:48 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She's gotta choose the bike or this endeavor will not be a successful one for you. Figure out how much $$$ you want to spend and work with a trusted bike shop to come up with a few candidates for her to look at and test ride. Be ready to accept that her final decision may be based on nothing more than looks or color. This is assuming that she's even marginally interested in riding the kind of bikes you want her to ride with you. If she doesn't seem too keen on riding a road bike, don't push the issue...
Old 04-23-11, 07:51 PM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
+1
Old 04-23-11, 07:51 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would go bikesdirect. You can get a great deal buying a used bike, or you can get suckered. Half the time people on Craigslist hardly even know what they're selling- they get the size wrong or sell bikes with a damaged frame or missing/damaged components, or they're just poorly adjusted so that stuff breaks soon after you buy it. If you're not confident in your ability to assess and fix what's wrong on your own, I wouldn't go used.
Old 04-23-11, 08:02 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya she was going for the bikesdirect route since the beginning because the rest of the group had them but i figured if there was a nicer bike for the same price used it might have been worth it.

i guess BD it is. thanks for everyones opinion!
Old 04-23-11, 09:05 PM
dspaff088
½ Throttle

Bikes: 2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfspeed
So it's a fictional concept?
+1000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 04-23-11, 11:12 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you know while I'm at it. This is probably a stupid question but what makes a womans bike a womans bike... lol I mean would it be that bad to buy a normal bike for her instead of one specifically labeled as a womans road bike?
Old 04-23-11, 11:57 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by visionz001
Well the way its been sounding it seems like BD is the way to go. hopefully its not "cheaping out" too much because I'm certain I can't afford the LBS prices. (College Student on College budget )
I can't speak to BD bikes directly, but I can say I think local is the way to go if you (or she) is new to this and not entirely sure what size and geometry to get. Mail/Internet order when you know what you want. When you don't - buy and test ride local.
Old 04-24-11, 12:04 AM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I thought I knew what size but looking online there were different size recommendations. My gf is 5'1 and on some sites it said a good size road bike would be 43cm but then I saw another chart that said a good size road bike would be 47 or 48 cm. I read another site that said to measure the inseam then multiply by .67 to figure out what size. Does size differ with every bike?

Edit: also because of this confusion I was planning on just going to a LBS or REI to just get a general fit if I couldn't figure it out
Old 04-24-11, 07:07 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The most important measurement is Effective Top Tube (ETT) which is the distance between the top/center of the head tube and where the center of the seat tube would be if the top tube was horizontal, measured parallel to the ground. Bike sizes are measured differently between brands, so it's really hard to say what "size" she is - but look at the geometry chart on the web site or catalog for the bike. At 5'2" and pretty normal female proportions, I ride a bikes with ETT of 510 (51cm) so you should probably be looking for about 50cm for her. Those bikes could be called anything from size 42 to 48.

The big difference between women's and 'regular' bikes (besides paint) is that the ETT on women's bikes is usually a bit shorter relative to the head tube height which makes them work a bit better for women with longer legs as a proportion of their height than men have. Some women's bikes also come with narrower handlebars and shorter cranks.

Getting the right size bike & confy saddle is the most important part of enjoying your bike. I rode bikes that were too big for a long time, not realizing it. Be patient with saddle selection, she'll probably have to try several before finding what's comfortable. Terry has a 30 day refund policy, so she can ride & try saddles. REI and Performance have good return policies too.

For a bike fit, go to a LBS, a good one, not performance or REI. you may have to pay, but it's worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.