Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 09:03 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
A cool 9C/48F this morning, and breezy enough that I had to pedal down a long, gentle hill to keep my speed up. Lots of leafy debris on the trails and some roads due to a hailstorm that blew through yesterday. Thankfully I worked from home yesterday, or I would have been caught in the storm.

I was reflecting this morning about how uneventful this commuting year has been in terms of interactions with drivers - I don't think I've been honked at or yelled at, no panic stops to avoid hooks, etc. all year. Then some idiot made a close, fast pass, and I lost all faith in humanity.

I'm a bit bummed this morning because there was a sign posted by the racks where I park my bike from someone whose bike had been stolen from there recently. Just a reminder that nowhere is really safe.
Old 08-24-12, 02:47 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bone on the MUP

With nobody and nothing around to explain this when I found it about 5:30am, it will have to speak for itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bone on the MUP.jpg (99.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-24-12, 02:48 PM
Antaresia
Snakes on a bike

Bikes: 80's CCM Mixte ~ SS 70's Apollo ~ Soma Extra Smooth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sad.
Sometimes, I'll chat a little with blue-Traitor-guy when we get stuck at the same stop light. Today I saw him drafting a semi. Like, full out on the trailer's butt, no way the driver could see him back there. I'm sad that I now I think he's a jerk.

(actually, I just googled "drafting a semi on a bicycle" to see how dangerous it really is, looks like Myth Busters took a crack at it. I know what I'm watching when I get home today!)
Old 08-24-12, 03:51 PM
telkanuru

Bikes: Trek 720 (touring, 1981 (?) model); Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Antaresia
(actually, I just googled "drafting a semi on a bicycle" to see how dangerous it really is, looks like Myth Busters took a crack at it. I know what I'm watching when I get home today!)
Just watched that; it's pretty nifty, and fits with what my dad told me about how he managed his cross-country ride back in '80 (being a bike nut is apparently genetic).

My ride was frustrating, involving an inordinate number of cars parked in or attempting to pass other cars using the bike lane.
Old 08-24-12, 03:58 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a nice commute in to work this morning that was enhanced for a couple of blocks when I 'had' to follow a very attractive red-head with long flowing hair, a cute little nose ring and succulent calves riding an old Schwinn roadie. That bike was gorgeous!
Old 08-24-12, 05:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
sad.
Sometimes, I'll chat a little with blue-Traitor-guy when we get stuck at the same stop light. Today I saw him drafting a semi. Like, full out on the trailer's butt, no way the driver could see him back there. I'm sad that I now I think he's a jerk.

I remember that Mythbusters. For all the money they spend on blowing crap up, it was surprising they couldn't have sprung for a Powertap so they could get wattage. And the guy who rides the bike is wearing downhill armor. It looks ridiculous. I would have volunteered my Quarq-equipped road bike if asked.
Old 08-24-12, 06:03 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...Today I saw him drafting a semi. Like, full out on the trailer's butt, no way the driver could see him back there. I'm sad that I now I think he's a jerk...
When done correctly, drafting anything isn't all that dangerous. You don't want to put yourself in the middle of the drafting vehicle's path... following the right side tire path is enough. Nor do you have to follow within a couple of feet of the draft vehicle... several feet is enough depending on the speed and size of thee vehicle, you'll be able to feel the start of turbulence and adjust accordingly. With this practice and having your brakes covered, staying alert and monitoring the road/traffic conditions beyond the right side of the vehicle, you'll most likely be prepared for most emergency situations.

There's a long stretch of road where I live that is heavily traveled by roadies on the weekends. If I'm riding it on my motorcycle I usually get a few drafters in my wake and adjust my speed to keep them in my draft. It's a kick.
Old 08-24-12, 09:17 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I watched another commuter do a crazy ninja salmon run, swerving in front of a city bus and then a turning minivan in order to beat the light. Sometimes I think drivers here are a little too easy going - I would have honked.

Last edited by Mr. Hairy Legs; 08-24-12 at 09:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-25-12, 12:50 AM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merciless wind.
Old 08-27-12, 02:37 AM
dude72

Bikes: N+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting would be so much fun, if there were no cars. silly reckless drivers can really ruin your day. :-(
Old 08-27-12, 03:56 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Wow, great morning. Kinda warm, but I beat the rain. A little before 0530 a woman was riding a comfort bike up on the sidewalk going southbound. She was simply beautiful. I was going west so I only seen her for a second. Just a nice start for the day.
Old 08-27-12, 04:41 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warmer today at 69f (21c). It was the first day of school back and the traffic was heavier. There was one cyclist in the dark who appeared lost
at a circle. He went down one fork, and as I approached the circle I was keeping an eye out for the car on the left. The cyclist came from my
right out of the darkness, first on the sidewalk, which was taken up by two walkers who surprised him, then down in the right lane, which pushed
me over to the left. I kept going and couldn't tell what he did. Riding in the dark on dark streets is not a good idea. As I got closer to work, some guy in a van stopped was hooping and screaming, and I just rode by like nothing was strange about that. Hopefully, it was to music.
Old 08-27-12, 04:59 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
i thought it would be a crappy day because my gf took the keys to work with her, but I found a way to get through two locked doors to get the bike out and was able to ride it in. While I was in the process, I had a great discussion with a Serbian guy in my crappy German.

hurrah!
Old 08-27-12, 05:11 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
It was a nice cool ride in this morning. The temp was 60f and it was kind of dark when I left the house at 5:45a, with sunrise at 6a. My front headlight fell off about fifteen minutes into the ride. I picked it up, but I really need a light that is going to stay attached to my bike. Other than that an uneventful ride in this morning.
Old 08-27-12, 05:32 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front tire seems to be slow leaking...again. mis shifted coming up out oif my building garage so I lost the chain. Other than that, a good Monday ride in.

Oh, and on Saturday I rode to a micro brewery that sits right off of a MUP...doesn't get much better!
Old 08-27-12, 07:30 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
68F/20C and pleasant. Reasonably quick thanks to a wind at my back. Thought I was going to get a silly commuter race with a roadie but he went the other way.
Old 08-27-12, 10:45 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Cool, breezy (tailwind), sunny. I was a bit tired this morning, but still managed to make decent time.
Old 08-27-12, 10:56 AM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My panniers are so freaking heavy, weighing my ass down. Slow ride, sore thighs.
Old 08-27-12, 11:02 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fletchh
As I got closer to work, some guy in a van stopped was hooping and screaming, and I just rode by like nothing was strange about that. Hopefully, it was to music.
That's probably what I sound like when I try to sing along with "In the Name of Love" by U2.
Old 08-28-12, 01:50 AM
M.R.Serecka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is it possible for the weather to be of a deceptively cool temperature, yet, gross, gross, gross with humidity?
I tried to pedal easy this morning since I need to work long hours and am tired.This means that I rode over in my jeans and riding clothes are in my pack. silly rabbit.
Old 08-28-12, 01:54 AM
M.R.Serecka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update: mosquitos all over the train station and platform. first experience with mosquitos here in three years. it IS extra gross out!
Old 08-28-12, 03:21 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
pretty standard ride in, slowly getting stronger.
Old 08-28-12, 04:32 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm and muggy today at 75f (24c). It was a quiet ride in today and those are always nice. Rain happened after I got here, but I was prepared in case.
Old 08-28-12, 05:41 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M.R.Serecka
is it possible for the weather to be of a deceptively cool temperature, yet, gross, gross, gross with humidity?
Same thing up here in Burlington, VT. 68F/20C but it feels swampy! It rained last night, everything is damp. The next time I see a small fan suitable for a desktop, I'm going to buy it.
Old 08-28-12, 06:08 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I passed the 20,000 mile commuting mark yesterday, 842 trips over the past 5-1/2 years. School also started back and I quickly realized that I need to leave earlier in the morning as I encountered a lot of school buses and teenage drivers on my way to work. I had gotten into the habit of leaving 15-30 minutes later over the summer, but that's over now. We are getting some of the outer circulation from Hurricane Isaac, and it was cloudy and extremely humid this morning. Hopefully the rain will hold off until tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.