Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 01:37 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Felt really stupid today. Started a new route since yesterday - missed one turn today without realizing it. The road did a very slow, long curve and landed me back very close to my house. Still, my 3 mile commute became a 5 mile one, so something gained
Old 08-29-12, 09:06 PM
Yukon37

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Six, 1991 Raleigh Supercourse, 1994 Trek Mountain Track 830, 1994 GT Timberline, 1981 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat tire on the way home. Discovered that I had left a gel in the pocket where I had my spare tube. The gel had unfortunately ruptured. I mounted a somewhat sticky inner tube and continued on my way.
Old 08-30-12, 04:42 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busy roads this morning, but a nice ride in at 65f (18c). Toward the end of the week everything gets slower, but tomorrow is friday.
Old 08-30-12, 06:03 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late start but that meant I rolled by a good friend whom I have never seen during the commute...and she had a spare water bottle for me.

Cool mornings continue to hint at Autumn.
Old 08-30-12, 07:51 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Weather was very nice, a little windy. I love mornings, very relaxing, I leave home about 0430 so there is generally light traffic and you can hear the birds and garbage trucks and...well you know. anyway, this morning was a very nice ride until I got up to the 4 lane one way that is my last 2 or 3 miles to work. Approaching the IUPUI campus I was in the bike lane to the far right. Very light traffic so I cuold still eyeball everyone coming up behind me in my mirror. An SUV was coming up behind me, 2 lanes over as I approached an intersection. I looked in my mirror and detected no threat so I started focusing on the intersection, the light was green and there was several seconds on the walk light. This is one of the smoothest and fastest parts of my ride so I was going about 20mph there. The SUV came up beside me, 2 lanes over and something clicked in my head their R turn signal was on, but they werent in the turn lane so I figured they just forgot it, but I must have been reaching for my brakes or I would be in the ER right now instead of babbling on about it. They sped up a little bit, two lanes over not anywhere near a turn lane, jsut a little bit ahead of me, and made a hard, tire squealing R turn. I missed it by less than a foot. I called them a dumb something or nother and went on, it was so close I was past them and could see their drivers window was down, I know they heard me, a little satisfaction anyway. A few years ago that would have scared the hell outta me, I would have followed them yelling and stuff. Today it just kinda woke me up to getting too damn relaxed, esp in the mornings.

Thinking about it though, if I wanted to hit a guy on a bike that is probably how I would go about it. Wonder if the SUV driver was an exwife?
Old 08-30-12, 08:09 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes, making. Close call. Glad it was just a little wake up and not something more.

Absolutely brilliant commute home yesterday. I ended up playing domestique for a couple cyclists behind me, who had tucked loosely into my slipstream. With the tailwind, though, I didn't really week care. Kind of fun actually. We rolled along at a good constant 18 mph or so on the Mount Vernon Trail. One of them stayed with me at Four Mile Run and thanked me for the tour when got to a stoplight. Nice lady. We chatted until the lights changed.

Rode in this morning nice and early. Getting used to this leaving-home-at-630 am thing. Kinda nice actually. Makes for a less crowded commute, although there are more joggers out than at the later time I used to leave. Nice and cool. Dynamo headlight it's going to start coming in handy very soon.
Old 08-30-12, 08:39 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Chilly start to the commute at about 8C/46F. Going to be long pants weather soon. Took a shorter, flatter, faster route to work today.

Last night I worked late and didn't get on the trails until about 8:15 pm. I see few cyclists during my normal commutes, but they were coming out of the woodwork last night. I was pretty surprised how crowded the trails were, especially since it was getting dark out by then. Most were well lit up (I was one of the exceptions).
Old 08-30-12, 08:48 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Day 4. I got an alert the the F train was delayed, and I DIDN'T CARE! Did it in 23 mins., which is about the same as the train on a good day. I'm more comfortable on a bike in traffic, and I'm familiar with the route so there's less stop and go, and there was virtually no traffic to speak due to the holidays. I wonder what it will be like when summer ends and everyone comes back with a vengeance next week. The East River Bikeway is definitely the way to go; it's just unfortunate that the trip has to end on 34th St. in a bus lane going uphill.
Old 08-30-12, 10:06 AM
markinmad

Bikes: '11 Raleigh Clubman, '62 Dunelt, '96-ish Trek 720 beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early morning ride today, left the house at 4:10am, rode with my new bike light and the full moon. It was nice to see more baby bunnies than cars.
Old 08-30-12, 10:51 AM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left the house and wanted to die, legs were so tired. After a block or two the angry, angry music came on and I started hauling ass. Beat my previous best time by a minute. Go figure.
Old 08-30-12, 02:52 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (25.9 KB, 37 views)
2.jpg (21.3 KB, 32 views)
3.jpg (22.2 KB, 35 views)
4.jpg (20.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-30-12, 03:56 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice
Old 08-30-12, 05:56 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Perfect weather. Clear as a bell, maybe 80, very little breeze.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 08-30-12, 07:50 PM
b_twill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was my 100th day commuting this year! Waa-Hoo!! This means I have saved around 75 gallons of gas or about $300 though my wife says I spent double that on biking gear, so I'm still in the hole. My effort was rewarded by finding a nice Mini Maglite AA flashlight in the road on my ride to work. First time I found something worth picking up on my commute.
And today was my 101st day biking, just as fun as day 1 back in January.
Old 08-30-12, 09:18 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FenderTL5

Yesterday afternoon.
That's on a flat? Doesn't that hurt?
Old 08-30-12, 09:24 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
50 degrees, pretty clear, but dark when I left the house. I again made my 9 mile morning ride with zero cars passing me. It was an experiment of sorts. I haven't been able to ride much this month because the commuter bus company I use got strict about their rule about bikes on the bike rack only, not in the bus. I don't wish to get stranded at work in Stayton 50 miles away so I've been riding my motorycle when I work there. When I worked in Salem I just rode all the way home, rather than wait to see if I would be bumped from the bus. But one of the drivers suggested that I could park my bike where they leave the buses overnight, as it's only a couple of blocks from where I catch the bus anyway. I tried that this morning, found a fence post to lock it to, and rode the bus from there to Stayton and back after work. I have about 3 blocks to walk in Stayton to my work site but that's no problem. So I can get back to bicycle commuting again!
Old 08-31-12, 05:28 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busy city streets and hit a number of red lights...76 degrees, light wind, nice ride in.
Old 08-31-12, 05:44 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy my late fridays as I see more cyclists out and about. A nice ride in and the temps are still good 69f (21c). The only downside to later fridays is racing to stay ahead of school buses, picking up the school people.
Old 08-31-12, 05:59 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Had a surprise at work yesterday. My coworkers gave me an award for topping 20,000 miles bike commuting since I started in 2007. I had mentioned the milestone on my Facebook page and someone in the office spread the word. They gave me a handmade metal sculpture of a cyclist. That was cool and totally unexpected.
Old 08-31-12, 06:29 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VTJim Likes This.

Originally Posted by SkippyX
Holy Crap. Traffic was horrendous.

School started on Monday, but I was working evenings on Mon & Tues, so I missed the schoolhouse rush.

My commute takes me past five schools.

This morning was sick. Every SUV-driving mother was careening down the road with her cell phone held to her ear by a freshly-manicured hand, heedless of traffic around them and having just dropped their precious little urchin off at the local schoolhouse (because the kid is just too precious to have to ride a bus, you know).

Frankly, what NayNay had to say on the Disgustingly Materialistic Dimwitted Wives of Whatever City is of no relevance whatsoever when measured against my right to travel down the road w/out having to dodge five thousand pound urban assault vehicles piloted by people who absolutely do not care about the damage they may cause due to the distraction.

HANG UP YOUR PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD.

Aside from that, the commute was fine. The temps were nice, the humidity not too high. I had a tailwind for a good distance.

Sorry 'bout the rant.
Old 08-31-12, 06:55 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
That's on a flat? Doesn't that hurt?
Hurt in what way?
It was near the end of a short 3 mile commute home. (fwiw, it's just after a turn up a hill, then it flattens out).
Old 08-31-12, 07:21 AM
CJ Str3tch

Bikes: GIANT Defy Advance Pro 1, Giant ToughRoad SL1,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday's ride home was a b@tch - constant 15-20 wind in my face until the last half mile. Oh, and the temp was 93 degrees. Ever have your sweat run off your body and be cool as it's dripping off you?

This morning was better. 69 degrees, up before the sun, lots of critters and just me and a few others on the bike path. Another year older....
Old 08-31-12, 07:25 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice weather (around 30C / 86F), with light traffic making the commute a bit more stressful since drivers have a tendency to speed on an open road, but overall a pleasant ride from my new apartment to work which now takes me on a more scenic coastal road.
Old 08-31-12, 07:36 AM
rsnelson

Bikes: Kona Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting to get wet... The remnants of Isaac are making their way up through the Midwest so this mornings ride was a little wet and I expect going home tonight will be a soaker!

Old 08-31-12, 08:51 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
10C/50F, headwinds (well, breeze anyway), sunny. Tired today. Saw a squirrel chasing a pair of magpies. Other than that, the commute was pretty uneventful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.