Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 07:38 AM
genel

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 0, Rivendell- Sam Hillborne, Montague folding bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beautiful morning, but fall is definitely here. Temps in the 40's. Sun is now aligned with the road during my east bound route. A cyclist was killed there a few years ago so extra caution needed. Even if traffic is light I hop on the parallel bike path.
Old 09-18-12, 09:32 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
any DC riders riding in tomorrow? with high wind thunderstorms I think I'm going to drive in...
I rode in today. Leaving work around 3:30 to get to class. Come to think of it, given the forecast 20 mph headwind I'll be riding into, gusting to 30 or more, I might need to allow a few extra minutes.

The ride in was fine. A couple times the wind picked up, a nice tailwind, allowing me to cruise at 20 mph with little effort. Not looking forward to the flip side of that this afternoon, with the addition of rain, but what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger right?
Old 09-18-12, 09:43 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First day that I was cool for the whole 11 miles. A couple degrees less and I'll be wanting some sleeves. Adios, Summer!
Old 09-18-12, 01:46 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very peculiar weather for Athens today (Greece)... on my way to work and back, there were thunderstorms in the distance with heavy black clouds everywhere except on my route which was nice and sunny! Weather's hot and humid at around 27c / 60% humidity making my ride moist but bearable.
Old 09-18-12, 02:32 PM
phx1973

Bikes: 2019 Giant Contend 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Back commuting today after taking the long, hot Phoenix summer off (from riding, not work, unfortunately). The bad news is I had to leave home mid-morning rather than early morning, so it was still 100'ish, which is a little hot for me. I just took it nice an easy. Felt great to be back at it, though.
Old 09-18-12, 02:59 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I was going to ride around a bit this morning before going to school, but when I phoned for a dentist appointment this morning they had a spot today. Not so lucky on my optometrist appointment which isn't until October 25th.

I stopped by the LBS on the way to the dentist and got a strong maybe for someone to join me on a 200km ride Saturday, assuming the forecast stays as it is. I'll be using my road bike rest of the week instead of the touring bike. I'll try not to push too hard and not do any extra distance to save my energy for the weekend. The randonneurs I've been riding with are all much stronger riders than I am.

When I left the house around 1:30 for school it was 20C with a strong tailwind. I averaged 29kph despite trying to take it easy. I could have easily beaten my previous best time had I put in the level of effort I did last week.
Old 09-18-12, 05:06 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Beautiful ride home,70F, big tail wind and I felt much better than this morning. Just nice.
Old 09-18-12, 05:33 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cold ride home, just like this morning, 6C, but unlike the morning, no rain but instead, significant wind and because my route home is somewhat circular, at some point in the ride, I will have a tailwind, a crosswind and a headwind. Today, the headwind was the worst of it.

Tomorrow's morning forecast is dry but 3C so i'll need to find all my cool weather gear tonight.
Old 09-18-12, 10:01 PM
cycronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's strange how things can happen all at once. I'd gone a good while without an incident with a driver, and during this mornings commute I had three.

It started with someone buzzing me. I didn't get too worked up over it. Then I hit a four way stop. I followed the rules to a T. I stopped at the stop sign... another car had gotten to the intersecting stop first and I let that person go. Then I went, and the lady behind the other person stopped briefly then took off. I wasn't going fast yet and was about to stop, then she saw me and stopped, and looked at me and gestured like I was in the wrong. I pretty much flipped, pointing at both stops signs, screaming "It's a four way stop!"... I suppose I could have reacted worse. Anyway I went on my merry way, on the bike lane a bit later, when a car making a right cut me off. Still wound up over the last incident, I had to pull out the middle finger. Doubt the dude even saw me.

Ah well, hope I go another few months without an incident.
Old 09-18-12, 10:27 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Warm again today! I arrived at work this morning dripping with sweat.
Old 09-19-12, 12:14 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
10C today (50F). little bit colder than yesterday.

biggest group at a light ... about 20 8-12 year olds going to school by bike.

also, saw my first compact e-bike today on the street (60yo woman) and man she went up the hill fast

it actually looks like a perfect commuting e-bike for an older person.

small frame
20" wheels
8spd Nexus hub
250W
11A/396Wh
dynamo w/LED lights front/rear
fenders
reasonable price (2399€)

although it not the newest BOSCH motor (which goes 45km/h ... 30mph of the 700c bikes)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-19-12, 02:28 AM
M.R.Serecka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool yet comfy this morn. mercer county is not flooded. will ride home rahway to princeton this afternoon weather permitting. where are all my critter friends?
Old 09-19-12, 04:23 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A perfect morning at 61 f (16c). Yesterday afternoon I got lucky. I saw a trough in the storm about 10 minutes before I normally leave, got dressed and bolted out the door. It spit, and it was dark, but I didn't get touched. About 15 min being home, it just opened up with another unbelievable downpour. Just another erratic storm. It is good to be lucky.
Old 09-19-12, 05:07 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fletchh
It spit, and it was dark, but I didn't get touched. About 15 min being home, it just opened up with another unbelievable downpour. Just another erratic storm. It is good to be lucky.
I work in a basement so all I saw was a bunch of fallen branches etc when I finally rolled out....I miss all the big storms.

Nice ride in.
Old 09-19-12, 05:53 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52F/11C with a quartering headwind. Still short sleeves weather! I felt slow. Lots of debris from the storms that blew through here last night. Nothing huge, but I had to dodge the odd branch here & there.

I saw a big white domestic cat. I made noises at it but it ignored me. Cats.
Old 09-19-12, 05:58 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Warm again today! I arrived at work this morning dripping with sweat.
Come and cycle with me today then!! The ride started with the air a chilly 2C and dropped to 0C by the end (~45min later). Yesterday, it was 6C and wet (drizzle) yet I was able to ride in shorts (and rain jacket) but today, just 4C colder, I had to put on a warm jacket, tights, warm gloves and head cap (I couldn't find my toe covers and suffered by the end of the ride).

These temperatures are abnormal for this time of year, we don't normally see these until mid- to late-October. However, the forecast for the next few days are mid- to high-teens highs and high single digits as lows.

I feel invigorated by today's ride (or maybe it was the hot shower when I arrived at work), have a great day everyone!!!
Old 09-19-12, 06:08 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Back in the saddle today after driving yesterday. We had forecasts yesterday for severe thunderstorms and heavy rain from a cold front, which turned out to be correct for a change. Rain totals ranged from 2-4" across the area with many flooded streets, high winds and tornado watches. Good day to drive in my book. The roads were still wet on my morning ride this morning but the rain was all over, and the temperatures and humidity levels are starting to drop.
Old 09-19-12, 07:57 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After getting completely soaked on the way home yesterday, today's cool and dry weather was welcome. I had to pull out my old sneakers since my newer ones got dunked in a foot of water while riding through some flooding yesterday. Any tips for drying them out?
Old 09-19-12, 08:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
After getting completely soaked on the way home yesterday, today's cool and dry weather was welcome. I had to pull out my old sneakers since my newer ones got dunked in a foot of water while riding through some flooding yesterday. Any tips for drying them out?
Not in a dryer on high! But I've used a hair dryer successfully, taking great care.
Old 09-19-12, 08:24 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
rode in this morning cautiously due to the tons of debris from yesterday afternoon's storm. very glad i did not bike in yesterday
Old 09-19-12, 08:31 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
About 4C when I left my house, cooler in the valley; there may have even been frost in the valley overnight. It's that time of year where I freeze in the morning and sweat in the afternoon.
Old 09-19-12, 09:49 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
8C with a pretty good tailwind, any colder and I would have regretted not wearing my full finger gloves. 28kph average speed on the way in, still not having much luck with this week's goal of "taking it easy". This afternoon I'm going to track down some running / cycling tights. Its going to be cool for at least the first half of my long ride Saturday and my jogging pants are a bit too restrictive.
Old 09-19-12, 09:11 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Flatted on the way home... that's 3 flats in 6 days. Time to invest in some hard case tires.
Old 09-20-12, 03:31 AM
M.R.Serecka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is Thursday morning.
the temperature is cool but not cold.
rode home 30 ish miles from Rahway to Princeton last night. saw lots of squirrels who have passed on and one doe. luckily spotted the poor thing laying dead in the shoulder so I didn't even risk hitting her. let's all buy our friends and families those whistle type things that attach to cars and use wind/air to make a noise that alerts wild life to oncoming cars.
I once hit a coyote with my pickup.
the coyote died and I felt awful.
maybe it would have thought twice had it heard me from a little further off.
i once ran over a large something on my bike(smaller than a dear though).
the carcass was around a bend uphill so i was taken by surprise.
Old 09-20-12, 03:46 AM
ricardoespsanto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...ducks really have the worst timing for when to cross the road...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.