Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 03:48 AM
ricardoespsanto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Warm again today! I arrived at work this morning dripping with sweat.
Hey man really fun signature but dont you mean && rather than || ?

if your wife is not mad but your shed is full are you still going to get more bikes?
Old 09-20-12, 04:24 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilly ride in at 50f (10c). The sky was mostly visible and beautiful. It is pleasant to be riding along and gaze up and see many stars above you.
Old 09-20-12, 04:32 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
coldest commute for me 5C (40F) ... still doing the shorts/two t-shirts (one short sleeve and a long-sleeve over it). will start using the thin XC ski goves at a minimum and look at some pants.

let's see how this goes!
Old 09-20-12, 05:27 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
The ride this morning was a chilly 39f with a clear sky and plenty of stars when I left this morning. It was an uneventful ride. Though I did take a different route so I could stop and pay a bill. Then I took a road that takes me directly through the city. The road is narrower and seems much more traveled than my normal route. Though the road does not have the big hill the road I usually take does. So there are tradeoffs. I'd rather ride the hill than all those vehicles so close.
Old 09-20-12, 06:18 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The temperature was mild (11C) but very wet with a moderately strong wind (30kph) coming from the south. I was drenched by the time I arrived at work, no, scratch that, I was drenched by the time I left my street. Just when I turned onto the southerly portion of the commute, the rain started to come down very heavily so I was riding into the wind and the heavy rain. Fortunately, the temperature was mild so I didn't get cold.

I learned that my panniers are not waterproof and my clothes have wet patches on them (the clothes were in a plastic bag in the pannier but the bag probably wasn't closed very well which I thought wasn't going to be an issue). I think I'm going to look for a new pannier for next year. In having looked a bit this year, I discovered that many panniers are black, which, for riding (both in the blackness of early morning and in daytime where I would like a brighter colour), is not what I would like.

The worst part of riding in the rain, at least on my route these days, is that I have to cross a few areas in which there is construction resulting in gritty water coming up off my tires onto my back and into my shoes. At one section, there is about 20m (60ft) of road in which the asphalt has been lifted off the dirt underneath and by today, there were potholes in the dirt section and as I was coasting down the hill before it at about 45kph, I realized that it was not going to be a smooth ride across the potholes so I lifted myself up off my seat, got a solid grip on my handlebars, took the centre of the lane and prayed that I wouldn't fall in front of the car behind me.

For conditions like these, I wish that someone would invent Moses tires!! (Think about it)

Considering the conditions, I'm not too put out by the fact that it was the slowest time ever!!! LOL

Forecast for 4pm is partly sunny, 16C and dry. Yay!!
Old 09-20-12, 06:41 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Jrickards - It sounds like you need some fenders! Check out Ortleib Back Roller Classics for some nice waterproof panniers. If you shop around on-line, they really aren't that much more expensive than lesser brands and are totally waterproof and well-designed.

Cool morning here with a nice tailwind, so I made great time riding to work. I also rode one of my faster bikes with a light load. The wind has been right out of the north for the past few days, so I have tailwinds in the morning and headwinds in the afternoon, which made for a slow ride home yesterday. Hopefully the winds will die down some by the time I leave this afternoon.

My wife wants me to meet her downtown for dinner after work tomorrow, which would make it difficult for me to commute both ways unless I want to ride home late at night since we are going to a concert after dinner. So I'm going to take the opportunity to have some work done on one of my bikes. My plan is to ride to work on my touring bike, take it by the bike shop during lunch and leave it there, walk back to my office and then catch a ride home with my wife. The only part I still need to figure out is how to pick up my touring bike later, but I can probably do that the next time we have a rainy day.
Old 09-20-12, 07:59 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
7C with a light headwind, but I think it got a few degrees colder towards the south end of my ride. I left early because I wanted to try out a pair of running tights before it got warm. They worked well, tomorrow I'll try the warmer pair I got off a discount table. It was mostly cloudy so for a change I wasn't blinded by the sun, and didn't even need sunglasses.

I forgot to bring my short sleeve shirt for the ride home, so it might be a toasty ride.
Old 09-20-12, 08:05 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold ride in this morning. I'm glad I picked up an Under Armour long sleeve shirt at the discount store last night.

I had my first real buzz on the way home last night. I am really surprised that the car didn't clip my mirror. I could have easily touched it as he drove past. Not angry (no yelling or honking), just in a hurry I guess.

Coming in this morning, I had a school bus pass a little close and a school van cut me off. I've sent a message into to the school district. Neither were too dangerous, but it definitely seems like they need some education on the traffic code.
Old 09-20-12, 08:19 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ricardoespsanto
Hey man really fun signature but dont you mean && rather than || ?

if your wife is not mad but your shed is full are you still going to get more bikes?
I think you need to read it more carefully. Or learn boolean logic...
Old 09-20-12, 08:24 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is where VB helps

While( Not (shed.IsFull OrElse wife.IsMad) )
bikes += 1
End While
Old 09-20-12, 08:38 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
damn, i wish i could bottle this morning and sell it. i'd be a bazilliionaire!

57 degrees + light SW winds + a brilliantly blue sky + a super sparkly lake michigan shimmering in all of its glory = bike commuting nirvana!
Old 09-20-12, 08:50 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chilly 4 celcius when I took off and 10 celcius when I arrived at work. Very nice sun no clouds
Old 09-20-12, 09:38 AM
ricardoespsanto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
I think you need to read it more carefully. Or learn boolean logic...
EHEH I've missed out on the parenthesis. But than I invented a ! bah My head works in a funny way in the morning
Old 09-20-12, 01:03 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
damn, i wish i could bottle this morning and sell it. i'd be a bazilliionaire!

57 degrees + light SW winds + a brilliantly blue sky + a super sparkly lake michigan shimmering in all of its glory = bike commuting nirvana!
Exactly! I rode home from my GFs last night into some fierce winds, and this morning everything is about perfect. I had to take a detour today due to some rail road construction, and didn't mind the extra couple of miles. Especially when I found out the route I took was nicer than I expected.
Old 09-20-12, 01:14 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Exactly! I rode home from my GFs last night into some fierce winds,
yeah, it was seriously windy last night. i first rode from my job in evanston to my friend's place in jeff park after work, and after hanging out with him for several hours, i rode back to my condo in downtown all the way down milwaukee. winds were just absolutely wild; nearly got blown right over by side gusts on several occasions.
Old 09-21-12, 01:21 AM
ricardoespsanto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool breeze, around 9ºC, two thirds of the way going really last third chatting to a workmate =) good ride
Old 09-21-12, 05:34 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lovely day at 53f (12C), and I beat the school bus again on the longest stretch of my ride. The problem with this is of course some day I will be sitting behind that bus as I catch up to him at every stop, but for now victory.
Old 09-21-12, 05:43 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
cold 6C (40F) in the morning

hands get quite cold and my muscles never really warm up as it's only 12km each way
Old 09-21-12, 05:52 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
no commute by bike this am, I went to spin class with my daughter. I will be riding my bike to work on Monday. I am not the happiest person when I take the car.
Old 09-21-12, 06:20 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What great riding weather we are having! Cool but not cold mornings, sunny, low humidity and mild temps in the afternoons. Rode my touring bike this morning and took it easy. It rides so much better since I put Vittoria Rando Hyper 32s on it, very plush but still rolls great although the hills are a bit slower. Gonna drop off the bike at a LBS during lunch so they can install some new compact handlebars, which should complete my "upgrades" to the tourer. I've got it rigged up so nice now that I'll probably start commuting on it more regularly, altho most of the changes are aimed at making it more suitable for loaded touring. Tried something new today and mounted my headlight to front rack rather than the handlebar, because the LED light was interfering with my wireless computer. The light worked great in the new position and solved the computer problem I was having with it on the bars.
Old 09-21-12, 06:35 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this talk of chilly rides...seems like yesterday we were all overhearting. Cold fingers but a perfect day for a ride in.
Old 09-21-12, 08:19 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
2C with a slight tailwind, coldest ride so far this semester. My stomach and forearms were cold but everything else was good. The ASICS Thermopolis running tights kept my legs nice and warm. I encountered 3 water main breaks this morning, we have had a record number of them due ground subsidence caused by very dry weather. I left early, but not early enough to beat the sunrise. When I turned east I was blinded by the sun and had to stop to put my sunglasses on. Even then, I needed to angle my head oddly so my helmet mirror would obscure the sun whenever there weren't any tall trees.

I won't be doing my 200k ride tomorrow because the morning temperatures are supposed to be below freezing. Instead I'll do an 80km ride later in the day to try out a freshly paved shoulder on the highway going to Lumsden. I switched back to the touring bike today and hauled in a fresh batch of clothing.
Old 09-21-12, 09:20 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful day - 62F and sunny (although my ride is 70% in the shade in the mornings). I like wearing knee warmers even in this temperature because my knees get a bit sore these days. However, could not find my knee warmers. Thought they might be at work, but they aren't here either. Must be hiding at home somewhere. As it turns out, I didn't need them - it was really a pleasant ride.
Old 09-21-12, 11:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pretty much a zoo coming past the State Capitol as everyone from the hinterlands was trying to find a spot to see the Endeavour flyover.
Old 09-21-12, 11:32 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not as chilly as it has been earlier this week. Chilly enough to wear warmers, but humid enough to make that more than a little sticky. Left at 5:30am this morning. Awesome ride in, that's the good thing about leaving earlier. Not as much traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.