Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 10:39 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gecho
Nice tailwind this morning. The seat post on my Pugsley was a bit low but I didn't want to stop to raise it. I'm definitely going to need to add a mud flap to my fender. Debris missed my feet but from the mid point of the down tube to the bottom bracket received the full tire spray.

i saw an odd looking rack on a bike last week. I saw the same bike again this morning and took a closer look. The rack was made out of aluminum hockey stick shafts, both the platform and the support posts. I took a picture and will post it when I get back home.
That's an awesome Mad Maxx bike! You should see if you can find some of those spike studs you can drill into your helmet. That would be bad arse! Urban commando bike...
Old 10-31-12, 10:50 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the saddle after being stuck in Atlanta for two extra days. Definitley cooler than when I left last Saturday.
Old 10-31-12, 11:28 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Clear, cool, & calm...
The same
Old 10-31-12, 11:30 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice this morning - 60-65. Wet roads, barely overcast with a nice sunrise. No wind. Couple pics from this morning....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7670.jpg (113.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_7676.jpg (112.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-31-12, 01:23 PM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
We've had enough snow here recently to warrant installing studded tires, so I put those on yesterday. At the same time, I swapped the 18T cog for a 20T one to lower the gear range of my IGH a bit. Put a new chain on while I was at it.

A chilly and windy -8C/18F for the commute this morning. That wind really made a big difference vs. the -7C temps (with no wind) I was riding in last week. Riding isn't much fun when your digits are all going numb.
Old 10-31-12, 03:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
It was a nice ride today after the hurricane. There was a lot of debris everywhere, and Prospect Park was closed. In Manhattan all the traffic lights were off south of 39th St as they haven't restored power yet. It may be a few days before they do. The surprising thing was the lack of cross traffic, maybe all the drivers thought better of it.
Old 10-31-12, 03:58 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Entering that odd time of year in the desert when the afternoons are still hot (75 to 80 degrees F) but the mornings are drifting into chilly temps (40s), so the afternoon ride home has panniers full of clothing I wore in the morning to stay warm lol! I love so much riding through the pre-sunrise dark in the mornings that I'm not looking forward to the time change Sunday cuz it means the morning ride will be in the light of day, at least for a while. The darkness before dawn is so enchanting to me.
Old 10-31-12, 04:20 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Holy Flat Commute there Batman! At times I wish mine was that flat. Here is mine from this morning.
https://www.mapmyride.com/workout/199391877
Old 10-31-12, 04:34 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by joshuatrio
Very nice this morning - 60-65. Wet roads, barely overcast with a nice sunrise. No wind. Couple pics from this morning....

Looks wonderful . . .
Old 10-31-12, 05:24 PM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Looks wonderful . . .
It's usually pretty nice. Not too many cars on the road at that time.
Old 11-01-12, 04:40 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice morning at 45f (7C). There is still lots of debris on the side of the roads from Sandy, but everything is passable. I brought my bike trailer in today to clean out my office, and lost my front derailleur. You have to love it when you plan something and something unexpected happens to make the something more difficult. I will play with the derailleur in light, when I have a chance. Otherwise, I will be huffing and puffing up the hills.
Old 11-01-12, 05:19 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
my first ride in this week due to Sandy and I was supposed to have a doctor's appointment yesterday, which they somehow neglected to tell me was cancelled. Anyway it was a nice ride in this morninging the temp was 44f and light clouds with the almost full moon able to be seen through most of the ride.
Old 11-01-12, 05:34 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was colder than it ended up being today so I overdressed with long pants...but it was good to go through the routine of getting more clothes on.

A quiet, pleasant ride in...I tried out a new tail light "Night Ize Rear Bug Light" it's a asmall LED light with moveable legs that you can attach just about anywhere...very small but incredibly bright.[h=1][/h]
Old 11-01-12, 06:31 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very chilly this morning. A little breezy at times made it even colder. Don't really know why but it seems I was sandbagging this morning. A little slower than usual.

C'mon summertime!

(Remembered I took some Ny-Quil last night...)

Last edited by silmarillion; 11-01-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-01-12, 07:17 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I had to stay late last night and by the time I was on the road, it was 7pm and just as dark as 12hrs earlier when I arrived at work. However, although the route is the same, there were differences: there are more cars in the evening and on the unlit 1km path was a pedestrian without lights and with a dark outfit who I nearly ran over, in the morning, lately, there aren't even dog walkers on the path. And, last night, being Halloween, I had to watch out for tricker-treaters.

I didn't wear my toe covers, the ones I made from cut wool socks, and while going down a hill at 45km/h, I could feel the cold wind go through the vents in my shoes and I realized that my DIY toe covers really do work (when I wear them of course).

In case my father-in-law needed me to take him to the emergency ward again after yesterday's surgery (toe amputation), I took the car in to work. My wife took him back to the hospital yesterday evening because the wound did not stop bleeding and got home about 1am so I am on on-call duty today.
Old 11-01-12, 07:29 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
It was actually a mild 41F this morning. One thing I realized about the cooler mornings is that I can yawn without sucking in bugs. Now why is my coffee mug still empty....?
Old 11-01-12, 07:47 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
One thing I realized about the cooler mornings is that I can yawn without sucking in bugs.

While on the topic of bugs, a strange thing happened last night. Despite the fact that over the past 2-3 weeks, nights have gone down to anywhere between 4C and -2C, yesterday, my dog chased a moth into the house from outside. A moth??? With these temperatures???

Yes, I know about the effect that major storms can have, dragging bugs and birds from one area and depositing them in another but the winds we had during the Frankenstorm have been from the North, not from the South were Sandy was.
Old 11-01-12, 08:31 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great commute this morning with perfect weather conditions in my book -- clear, chilly and dry. Rode my touring bike with panniers so I would have room for a birthday present that I bought for my wife yesterday, and it's too bulky and heavy to fit in my usual commuter bags. I revamped my touring bike earlier this year with larger tires (32s), triple gearing and compact handlebar -- so it's a little slower but much more comfortable. I prefer the lighter weight and speed of my sport touring bikes for commuting most days, but it's nice to have the touring bike as an option on days when I need to carry more gear.
Old 11-01-12, 08:59 AM
groovestew

-6C/21F, with ice pellets. I guess it was trying to rain, but it was freezing before hitting the ground. On the plus side, that meant I didn't get very wet because the ice just bounced off me. On the minus side, riding into the wind, those ice pellets felt like a barrage of needles on my face!

This is my first winter with disc brakes, and I'm loving them. This morning had the kind of conditions that would have rendered useless rim brakes.
Old 11-01-12, 09:50 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
It was pretty nice here in Everett. I dodged all the rain drops on the way in this morning. It was pouring south of here in Seattle, and raining pretty good to the north in Marysville, but my commute...no rain, although the roads were still wet.

Temps in the low to mid 50s all day. I overdressed a bit this morning, because I suspect there will be plenty of wet on the ride home, and I want to take the long way, so I'm going to need the good dry gear.
Old 11-01-12, 09:55 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
4 deg. C and light rain. I forgot to turn the trip timer on until I was about 1 km away from my house. I was expecting to be quite slow due to the extra bulk of my raingear and having half my ride on soft wet gravel, but I parked my bike around 35 minutes on the clock... which is exactly what it usually takes me to ride the whole distance!

Also, I felt tired and caught myself trying to take a nap while I was riding. That's bad, right?

Last edited by LarDasse74; 11-01-12 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Multipal spelign missteaks
Old 11-01-12, 03:42 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
0C with a 40 gusting to 50kph headwind, which would explain why I felt slow. I still need to dial in the Pugsley fit a bit more, raising the saddle a bit more. I think the cold weather is going to slow the breaking process for my brooks saddle.

I've lost about 6 lbs since I resumed my commute in September. It seems like the last place fat decides to leave is your face. Yesterday looking in the mirror I noticed I have cheek bones again.

Here is a picture of the hockey stick rear rack I saw yesterday.
Old 11-01-12, 04:06 PM
groovestew

Originally Posted by gecho
I've lost about 6 lbs since I resumed my commute in September.
Found it. I weighed myself this morning, and discovered I've gained about 6 pounds since early September. My monthly mileage is down quite a bit from what it was in the summer, but the reality is I've just been snacking too much. That leftover Halloween candy won't help, either.
Old 11-01-12, 04:57 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by groovestew
Found it. I weighed myself this morning, and discovered I've gained about 6 pounds since early September. My monthly mileage is down quite a bit from what it was in the summer, but the reality is I've just been snacking too much. That leftover Halloween candy won't help, either.
Do you want some of mine?
Old 11-01-12, 07:57 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Day 2 of post hurricane Sandy: I went through Prospect Park, even though it was officially closed. The police didn't seem to care as it was early. Lots of debris everywhere, with large tree trunks pushed over to the right side of the road. It was colder this morning, about 45 compared to yesterday's 50. I wore the same layers, but I was much warmer and sweatier today. Go figure.

Manhattan is still without power south of 39th St, and I work on 42nd. No traffic lights, but that makes for a nerve wracking ride as the cross traffic doesn't necessarily see you. There were traffic cops at the major crossings anyway.

There are a LOT more people riding now. The Manhattan bridge is one steady stream of bikes, 1st and 2nd Aves. are also. Even the streets of Brooklyn have a lot more bikes. A lot more traffic too as there still isn't a subway from Brooklyn. You can tell the regulars from the people doing it for the first time, the regulars just cruise across the bridge where the noobs are huffing and puffing. But at least they're riding.

Tomorrow I'll ride in again, but next week I'll take a break for a day or two, assuming the trains are running. I know that I have a late night coming up on Monday so I wouldn't ride that day anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.