Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports - May 7/8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 08:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us about all the cycling you're doing this weekend, or on the days surrounding the weekend. Who did you ride with? Where did you go? Got pics?

[HR][/HR]

As for us ... no cycling this weekend because we're at a cycling conference. Kind of ironic.

I'm hoping to get out for a walk later.
Old 05-07-16, 01:09 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Saturday: Planned on doing a metric rain or shine this morning, but instead got called into work for some optional OT. Seeing how I could use the money I couldn't turn that down despite already having 20+ hours of OT this week as it is. Came home to a very sick child, so there's no chance of getting out this afternoon.

Sunday: With any luck I'll get out for a ride in the A.M.(rain or shine) prior to taking my Mom out for brunch for Mother's Day.
Old 05-07-16, 03:49 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
34 miles today, about all the time I had today after morning yard work.
Old 05-07-16, 03:57 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
57.2 miles ( my longest yet ) at 15.3 average mph. It was very hilly, but I actually finished well. Also set a high speed record of 42.2 mph.
Old 05-07-16, 04:02 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In laws are in town for the weekend, so of course I went riding!

41ish miles today, will likely get out for another 30 or so tomorrow
Old 05-07-16, 05:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In honor of the rubes doing Breathless Agony* I just did the easiest 22 miles of my cycling life at an average of 100bpm.

Gonna try to talk the wife into doing at least 40 tomorrow, but it's Mother's Day and it's entirely up to her.

*if you're not going all the way to Onyx, it ain't Breathless Agony.
Old 05-08-16, 08:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- 7.5 km walking around Sydney Australia

Sunday -- 6 km walking around Sydney Australia
Old 05-08-16, 03:54 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was a little race in the rain. Didn't do very well, but managed to finish ahead of a couple of other finishers, and there were a few who dropped out, so it could have been worse. At the start, I ran into a guy I've ridden with training for the GFNY a few times. He'd screwed up in pinning his number on, so I fixed it for him. He won. Thanks to me. On a more serious note, thanks to him, despite the miserable conditions, I got a handful of PRs for the course, and I'm sure a lot of other folks did, too. After the little hill, he took off like a shot and stretched the field out but good.

Later that day, a teammate and I spent the afternoon stapling bib numbers to waivers and putting them in binders. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but nearly 600 of them takes a little while, and is kind of a drag when the numbers aren't all assigned sequentially. Then, today I stood around and worked the sign in; first wave got underway at 7:30, last wave at 1:00. Didn't start out well, because the location of the start was confusing - I went to where the pin on the map was, and it turned out to be the middle of the course - tried to contact someone or re-check the event page, but there was no phone reception! Managed to drive somewhere and find reception, and had to turn around and speed through the park to get to the actual staging area. Folks had formed a line by the time I got there, but everyone got through and their numbers pinned on in plenty of time for the start. Day started cold and rainy, and the easy-up tents weren't quite big enough to keep everything dry, so that was kind of a mess, too. Eventually that cleared up, but then it got really windy. I'm exhausted, and I only rode 17 miles all weekend!
Old 05-08-16, 04:42 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sun : finally got out today after the rains stopped. did 24mi with the gf. going to do a longer ride tomorrow since it should be near 70
Old 05-08-16, 04:52 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
No weekend rides here in eastern CT. The past week has been constant rain and cold. Today it rained in the morning then started to warm up. But, the warmth (55 F) came with 18 mph winds. It really sucks here right now.
Old 05-08-16, 05:58 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You come across some interesting things on rides. Found this about 0700 this morning. Yes I returned it with the money.

Old 05-08-16, 06:46 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I rode 88 miles on Friday just for the heck of it.
Old 05-08-16, 06:50 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode from Richmond, VA to Williamsburg and back on the Capital Trail. Left from my house which is 7 miles from the end of the trail and went to Colonial Williamsburg to have lunch with my daughter who is a William and Mary student. Overall it was 130 solo miles. My longest ride ever, my previous long was 109 miles, and it was my first solo century.
Old 05-08-16, 07:09 PM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday 31 miles

Sunday 20 miles

This was an 11 mile warmup Saturday followed by a 20 mile ride that my wife joined me on a new trail we'd never biked on before. Liked it so much we went back today and rode another 20 miles Great weekend for riding!!
Old 05-08-16, 07:41 PM
OneOldSeaDog

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday: I planned on riding the Knotts Island Century and that's what I started. I met several friends at the start but they were all riding the Metric Century and all the other riders I found riding the century were much faster than I am. So I set off on my own. There was a light rain from mile 2 to 20 which wasn't a problem. There were a couple of groups of riders I had a good tortoise and hare thing going for the first couple of rest stops. After the second rest stop I was alone again and somehow lost my way. The road markings were not the best and looking at the map I still do not know how I messed up. Anyway it took me 60 miles to get to rest stop 3 at the 45 mile point. This was a ferry crossing and I missed the last ferry available to complete the century. The option was to turn around and return using the metric century course. I waited for the ferry to return and then hooked up with a couple of riders. There pace was faster than I like but I hung with them until 2 miles to go. Total mileage was 83 miles. Not quite a century but a good workout. I felt better when I found out several other riders had lost their way so it wasn't just me. Not satisfied but better.
Old 05-09-16, 07:21 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Saturday got caught up in doing chores in prep for Mother's day so no riding. Sunday I went to St. Pete for my longest ride of the year. About 51 miles. My legs were killing me on the last 5. Great weather...low wind, sunny with temps in the 60's to 70's.
Old 05-09-16, 07:56 AM
Luis G.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 miles this weekend. Joined a groupride at performance bikes, was fairly easy and had to slow down constantly. Next time I will go for the 20 mile groupride.
Old 05-09-16, 08:06 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I rode 81.3 mile with 3524' of elevation this weekend, which included 3 PR's out of the 4 Strava segments I went through.
Old 05-09-16, 10:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I did a ride called 'The Fearsome Five', put on by the neighboring club.

Five climbs of 2500'+ for 128miles, 15,000' climbing.

It was cloudy & cool, with the cloud level below 2,000' so the upper sections were all wet and socked in.

The out and back route had us pass the start twice for resupply.

First time finishers earn an special beer mug, which will I proudly put on a shelf somewhere.

Got a pass 'til next weekend to do something with my mother, so good there.

Even managed to avoid post-ride cramping with extra salt, & some stretching.
Old 05-09-16, 09:52 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Still feel a bit tired from Saturday morning.

Stuck a 30-mile bike shop A group ride in the middle of a century. That ride had a few semi-regroup-ish points, and I occasionally tried to stick with the front break. Those guys consisted partly of decent racers and a really strong dude on a recumbent... the first time they were going 30mph on level ground, I was hoping the recumbent breaking off the front would cause the pace to drop, and then it didn't . I would have been at an all-out sprint had I actually done any pulls with these guys. At any rate, the structure of the ride meant I was able to get dropped from that bunch a few times, heheh.

Somehow I had a lot of gas in the tank, although in the last few miles of the century I started to hit the wall.

Weather was excellent. Wasn't too cold to ride shorts and bare arms when I headed out in the morning, and didn't get horribly hot later on.

Visually, it was non-grand but pleasant. Lots of trees and foothills, and plenty of little glimpses of Mt Pilchuck.

Overall great day. Couldn't help but eat a lot of food on Sunday, so that was a pretty good day too.
Old 05-10-16, 07:31 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Did my usual evening ride last night for 32 miles around Davis Is. Felt pretty good and the weather was great.
Old 05-10-16, 11:03 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sun: first day in a while without any rain in the area. did 40mi solo with 2500' elevation. would have traded another 1000' for the wind to stop.. some pretty good bike tossing gusts kept things interesting (I am not too fat for this sport lol) was nice to be riding shorts and short sleeves 70F
Old 05-11-16, 07:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by HTupolev

Visually, it was non-grand but pleasant. Lots of trees and foothills, and plenty of little glimpses of Mt Pilchuck.

Overall great day. Couldn't help but eat a lot of food on Sunday, so that was a pretty good day too.
Looks like a scenic area.