Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling cameras for safety during training rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 12:50 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm considering getting one of those cycliq cameras. however, I don't really want to spend the coin, considering I already have a gopro session that's not seeing a whole lot of use lately. my plan is to record only the 30 minutes of going out of town and getting back into town, where the traffic are the heaviest and the probability of accidents are multiplied. what has y'all's experience been like when it comes to dealing with bad drivers?
Old 04-09-19, 12:59 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
They are everywhere. Some cowards might be more empowered to mess with cyclist in the middle of nowhere where there are less/no witnesses.
Old 04-09-19, 06:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
In addition to the above, I'm wary of any approach with more moving parts than necessary because a) more opportunity for me to mess up and 2) the higher likelihood that I'll decide that it's just not worth the trouble. If I were to do what you propose, I'd probably forget to turn on the camera on the way back in to town on the very first ride. I'd probably forget to turn it off on the way out during the second ride. I'd probably find myself with a dead battery shortly thereafter. Then I'd toss up my hands and buy a Cycliq.
Old 04-09-19, 06:46 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
.. what has y'all's experience been like when it comes to dealing with bad drivers?
Having fewer witnesses around seems to embolden the Adam Henrys of the car vs. bike world, or that's been my experience anyway. For that reason, the most dangerous and obnoxious close passes, honking, etc. seem to happen in the middle of nowhere. Like all cowards, they're deathly afraid of getting caught and having to defend their anti-social acts to anyone who is in a position to possibly harm one hair on their precious little heads.
Old 04-09-19, 06:57 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
There is a huge difference between safety and the idea of safety.
I'm not sure how a camera set up can make anyone safer. It could however record incidents that already happened and could be used as evidence but that's not really making it any safer.
One could argue that devices that give the impression of safety could lead people to take extra and unnecessary risks.
As for the camera(s) potential to thwart aggressive behaviors from drivers, well, I'm not sure they can see or even care a small camera is mounted when zooming by us at 50mph+.
Old 04-09-19, 07:01 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I don't think that was the question being asked, at least in this thread.
Old 04-09-19, 07:06 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I don't think that was the question being asked, at least in this thread.

It was.
Old 04-09-19, 07:49 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I'm considering getting one of those cycliq cameras. however, I don't really want to spend the coin, considering I already have a gopro session that's not seeing a whole lot of use lately. my plan is to record only the 30 minutes of going out of town and getting back into town, where the traffic are the heaviest and the probability of accidents are multiplied. what has y'all's experience been like when it comes to dealing with bad drivers?
How long can a Session record? I'd imagine they can run at least 2 hours? Why not just mount that under your seat and leave it running?
Old 04-09-19, 09:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
How long can a Session record? I'd imagine they can run at least 2 hours? Why not just mount that under your seat and leave it running?
The Cycliq light/camera canrecord 4-5 hours with the light on, and 7 hours without the light.
Old 04-09-19, 09:12 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I use a Cycliq on the rear - I bought it after a couple of determined dog chases - If a dog is going to bring me down, I want a record of what it looked like and from what property it emerged for when I sue the owners. I run the camera routinely, but haven't needed it (although I did catch a couple of riders touching wheels behind me on a group ride, with one rider & bike flying off into the undergrowth - no injuries ), but really it's more for the rear LED, which is excellent. I run the flashing LEDs every ride, day or dusk

Last edited by Litespud; 04-09-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 09:28 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I actually disagree with your thought on where the video is most important. Out on lonely country roads is where you will want to have a camera. In town, there are people everywhere, and though the percent chance might technically go up due to the sheer number of vehicle interactions, getting smacked out in the middle of nowhere will likely have zero witnesses, or people around to help. Frankly, it might end up being the evidence your "next of kin" needs to bring justice. A morbid thought, but that's the reality.

I'm sure you just chose the wrong word, but cameras will in no way make your ride more "safe". The only way I could even think a camera would make you "safer" is if you had a giant sign that said "SMILE, YOU'RE ON CAMERA!", and that might only make a difference to a psychopath who would otherwise intentionally run you down. Accidents will not be prevented by a camera, by definition of the word "accident". So, consider what you really want out of the camera. If you mean "safety" in terms of after-the-fact information gathering of the driver who ran you down, yes, it's possible a camera would help, but by itself it's not going to prevent jack squat.

Last edited by cthenn; 04-09-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Old 04-09-19, 10:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Having fewer witnesses around seems to embolden the Adam Henrys of the car vs. bike world, or that's been my experience anyway. For that reason, the most dangerous and obnoxious close passes, honking, etc. seem to happen in the middle of nowhere. Like all cowards, they're deathly afraid of getting caught and having to defend their anti-social acts to anyone who is in a position to possibly harm one hair on their precious little heads.
I'm sorry to hear that. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I've always mostly attributed it to traffic making people crazy.
Old 04-09-19, 10:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I'm not sure how a camera set up can make anyone safer. It could however record incidents that already happened and could be used as evidence but that's not really making it any safer.
One could argue that devices that give the impression of safety could lead people to take extra and unnecessary risks.
As for the camera(s) potential to thwart aggressive behaviors from drivers, well, I'm not sure they can see or even care a small camera is mounted when zooming by us at 50mph+.
If it was known that most cyclists ride with cameras running, pepper would be more cautious around us. Unfortunately we're not even close to that and probably won't get there for a very long time.
Old 04-09-19, 10:14 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a Fly12 and and older Fly6 that I will typically run on every ride, training, commuting, racing, or JRA. It isn't for me, it's for my survivors.
Old 04-09-19, 10:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You want the Sworks helmet with the crash notification app if you're after safety alone in a rural area.

Then, a camera just for proof of any incidents.
Old 04-09-19, 11:44 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm sorry to hear that. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I've always mostly attributed it to traffic making people crazy.
My worst encounter was out on a country road. Redneck type, absolutely incensed that a bicyclist would be out there, on narrow roads with no bike lanes. Frankly, I get more nervous out on lonely roads when cars pass than I do when there are more "witnesses" around. Distracted drivers can be anywhere, so my feeling is the number of cars doesn't make much difference, other than perhaps an increased percentage of an incident just due to the number of vehicles. But mentally, I feel way better when there are more people around.
Old 04-09-19, 01:55 PM
ghettocruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A gopro session (either 4 or 5) battery will give you 90-100 minutes in 1080p mode. I have them front and rear.

If you plug it into a cell phone power pack, even the mini ones, it will basically run until you fill up the memory card, which is 5-6 hours for 128gb.

It won't be waterproof plugged in since you need to leave the little side door open.

I don't recommend putting it in "loop record"... as the time I got hit, I was incapacitated to the point that I wouldn't have been able to turn it off, and it probably would have recorded over the accident.

I'm not going to comment on the "safety" aspects of it, other than to say I didn't used to use them, and wish I had more data about that last accident.
Old 04-09-19, 01:58 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Iwhat has y'all's experience been like when it comes to dealing with bad drivers?
My experience is that bad drivers don't care if I'm using a camera. They do seem to care about my lane position, lights, choice of clothing, etc.

With that said, I do run a camera on most of my rides. I don't expect it will keep me safe, but it has provided some instructive video, and good race documentation.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-09-19, 02:18 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I use my camera to check my position on the bike. Set the camera down on a fence post or tree stump, and then ride past.

I figured out that my lower back was rounding out, and I was using my back muscles to pedal instead of my glutes. So I have been doing stretching to increase hip flexibility, and making a conscious effort to pedal with my back as straight as I can get it, using glutes instead of my back. The back still gets rounded when I get tired on long climbs, but I have pretty much eliminated having a sore back, post-ride.

Now to work on bending my elbows and getting a little lower, whilst keeping the back straight.

Old 04-09-19, 03:26 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If it was known that most cyclists ride with cameras running, pepper would be more cautious around us. Unfortunately we're not even close to that and probably won't get there for a very long time.
This. It's a collective action problem. Your having a camera won't make you safer at all (unless maybe you add a sign saying "video recording in progress", which some might take as a dare). Overall, if it became clear every cyclist had a camera (or nearly all did) then there would be a beneficial effect for everyone.
Old 04-09-19, 03:39 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Every cyclist already has a phone (even 5 y/o kids have their own phones these days) so that's a good start.
Old 04-09-19, 05:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Can someone explain the difference between the Fly6 and Fly12? Obviously one is sold as front facing and the other rear, but what's the $100 difference covering? Any reason a Fly6 can't be used out front with lights off? is there a way to sync the 2 easily in playback.. eg. side-by-side front rear exactly timed to each other?
Old 04-10-19, 06:52 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I have to agree with this.

My approach to safety on the bike is to be as visible as possible (high viz helmet, good rear light always on, good quality helmet). Since most accidents seem to occur when drivers "didn't see you", being seen is key for safety. My rear (and front) blinker is so bright that it would catch the attention of even the most inattentive drivers (I hope).

Other than that, yeah, cameras are good for after the fact I guess, but I tend to focus on prevention.
Old 04-10-19, 08:12 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have a Fly12 and and older Fly6 that I will typically run on every ride, training, commuting, racing, or JRA. It isn't for me, it's for my survivors.
I was going to post this same thing; its so my wife gets a nice payout. I also believe there is a high likely hood that the memory card will somehow disappear in the evidence locker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.