Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I let my wife take my daughter bike shopping

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I let my wife take my daughter bike shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 03:51 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
And they went to Wal Mart. It is a nightmare. Daughter constantly complains the bike is difficult to ride, and things constantly fall off of it.

I told her not to go there, but I'm and idiot for suggesting a $100 bike is just like a $1000 car.
May I ask what exactly is falling off? What bike are we talking about?
Old 05-22-19, 10:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by michaeldb
Unless I missed it posted, how old is your daughter?
This is my first thought. If she's a child, then good. Only $100 - because they spent your money.

If she's over 18, bad. Because she should have spent her own money, and not yours.

Anyway, those were my thoughts.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-22-19, 01:58 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Since OP hasn't responded in almost a week I'm afraid he is missing. If everyone here will send me $1,000 I volunteer to fly to The Beach Bar in Honolulu HI to see if I can find any information on him.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-23-19, 07:31 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
She is 13. We let her pick it out. I was willing to go to the LBS, but she saw this one and she loved it because it was "pretty". WHen she was younger, she was quite the rider, and she is a decent athlete, played softball, and now golf and Lacrosse. I wanted to get her a nicer bike, but she likes to ride around in this one wuth her Yorkie in the basket.
Old 05-23-19, 07:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A bike is a bike, no matter if it cost $100 or $10,000. Just adjust and tighten everything up and it will be fine. Being realistic about the only thing you can say against a Walmart bike is the fact it will probably be heavier.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-23-19, 08:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
She is 13. We let her pick it out. I was willing to go to the LBS, but she saw this one and she loved it because it was "pretty". WHen she was younger, she was quite the rider, and she is a decent athlete, played softball, and now golf and Lacrosse. I wanted to get her a nicer bike, but she likes to ride around in this one wuth her Yorkie in the basket.

If it's the bike she wanted and she likes to ride it, the "problem" seems rather moot.

Sounds more like you're disappointed that she would rather ride around with a dog in the basket on a pretty bike than be some sort of "serious cyclist".

I can't help but feel you've pulled a bait and switch with the title of this thread. "My daughter doesn't want a LBS bike" would probably have been more honest.
Old 05-23-19, 12:53 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
And they went to Wal Mart. It is a nightmare. Daughter constantly complains the bike is difficult to ride, and things constantly fall off of it.

I told her not to go there, but I'm and idiot for suggesting a $100 bike is just like a $1000 car.
Bikes from 'Wally World' are consistent about one thing.......THEY ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK!!!!!!

Go to a bike shop that isn't connected with 'Wally World', and talk to people there about buying a bike. The people at 'Wally World', just want to empty your wallet. They don't care about the quality of their bikes, and/or the safety of the customer.
Old 05-25-19, 08:17 AM
annabanananana

Bikes: For now whatever friends give me or whatever looks good at the dump. Will update.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
You "let" her take the daughter shopping...how nice!
I so wanted to say this too. OP, the thread title sounds a bit bad (like "hey look what happens when you let the wife do the bike stuff"). I'm assuming you did not mean it like that, so let's not dwell on this. As long as you don't tell your moppet "sorry kiddo I should not have let mamma choose your bike" it's all good. Not an attack, just a comment about the importance of being careful with words in some situations.
Also it's my first post on this forum so it's a shame to get into politics so soon but I couldn't help it seeing the title
Old 05-25-19, 11:22 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
That's all that matters. Fix what needs to be fixed. Let her enjoy her choice. It's not about you.
Old 05-25-19, 05:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts

We know YOU hate it, and were predisposed to hate it based on its source. [First post]

But what is the story on your daughter's opinion? Does she really constantly complain about a bike she loves and likes to ride around?

BTW, what "things" constantly fall off?