Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace UniGlide freewheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 03:14 PM
JdUk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am building up a 1980’s Eddy Merckx Corsa, and want to fit a 6 speed dura ace freewheel after reading many opinions here that the MF-7400 is of a very high quality. The group set I’m using is Campagnolo Victory (C record hubs), and I wonder if I need to use a Shimano uniglide chain to match the FW, or if a regular vintage chain (Regina, or something similar) will work. I suppose I am concerned that a uniglide chain would not marry well with the Campagnolo chainrings, but to be honest I’m not sure.

I would certainly appreciate some good advice, and think this is the best place for it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-19, 03:35 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Any 6, 7, or 8 speed will work.
Old 08-18-19, 03:44 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Hi , I just did (doing) my first Italian build . I started out with a Regina Oro FW , after only a few miles it (the FW) started making some nasty sounds . I put on a Shimano FW and now it's fine , by the way hubs are Campagnolo Record . I have read that once you put on a English threaded FW on a Italian threaded hub that you should not go back to Italian threading . FWIW .
That said I'm using this chain and all seems fine .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-PC-850...0AAOSwIWVY95Or

Old 08-18-19, 05:00 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I'm a little puzzled. Nasty sounds? Can you add to the description a bit? Does it happen on the stand? Regina freewheels while not as sturdy as Suntour and perhaps Shimano freewheels, were not exactly failure prone after only a few miles...

True about the threading. So I was told, and thus never tried it.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-19-19, 03:01 AM
JdUk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Additionally then, although one can use any 6/7/8 speed chain, I’m curious how a uniglide would behave. I mean, are there any advantages or disadvantages- beyond the price and relative difficulty of finding one in good condition?

About the FW, I have also read about the risks of changing back and forth between Italian and British threading. Actually, the c record hub I’m using had a Maillard freewheel on it when I got the wheel set (both hubs since cut out and re-built with Mavic clincher rims), which I didn’t think to keep because it was shot. I’m assuming that FW was British thread because I don’t suppose Campagnolo made French threaded hubs. It’s equally unlikely, I suspect (but could be wrong) that Maillard made Italian-threaded freewheels. Either way, I expect the Dura Ace to fit, and that the hub is used to accepting a British threaded FW. I have looked for marking on the hub but can’t find any, so I’m thinking it is (was) Italian-thread.

I read elsewhere on here about some reliability problems with Regina freewheels, especially the Oro ones, which is a shame because they look great!
Old 08-19-19, 05:17 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
@markwesti was your Regina Oro a 5 or 6 speed? Was it a BX or CX marked freewheel body? The reason I ask is that Regina transitioned from their old style all threaded sprockets to using threaded and splined sprockets with the CX & BX models. IIRC the BX came in an ORO version.

The old (Corsa), all threaded sprocket models, used either brass wire or brass leaf pusher springs with pawls which were loosely fitted into a single pivot hole in the inner body. These can fail, but it is rare. However, their internal mechanism is more prone to be contaminated by external factors, i.e. moisture, salt, grit, etc.

The new, CX & BX models use a single circular wire compression spring which holds the pawls against the inner body. This same system is used to this day on all freewheels and was also used in Shimano UG, Suntour Winner/Winner Pro, Alpha, etc., and Sachs freewheels. It is by far the superior system but is not 100% fail proof.

@JdUk older Maillard (Atom and Normandy) freewheels should be marked on the spoke side with a rectangular punch mark in the flat part of the inner body if they are English threaded. However, I have discovered this is not always the case and can't be counted upon. These should be checked with a known BB fixed cup that is either English or French in threading.

Newer Maillard (and Atom) freewheels were marked with the thread type (in writing), on the RD side of the inner body. The writing is on the rim where the removal tool engages the freewheel.

Campagnolo did make French threaded hubs. They are marked with either lines or writing between the threads and the flange on the drive side.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-19-19, 07:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by JdUk
although one can use any 6/7/8 speed chain, I’m curious how a uniglide would behave. I mean, are there any advantages or disadvantages- beyond the price and relative difficulty of finding one in good condition?
I've used both Uniglide and non-Uniglide chains on my Dura-Ace freewheels and frankly haven't noticed any performance difference. Non-Uniglide chains are much easier to find and cost less, so that's what I use now.
Old 08-19-19, 09:46 AM
markwesti

Sedisport and Regina chain could also be candidates for your build jdUK

Sedisport Black Chain bulk package new but no box

Vintage Chain
Old 08-19-19, 10:08 AM
markwesti

Sorry for the hi-jack jdUK . Guys , here is the advertisement for my freewheel and it is the one I bought . Regina Oro 6 speed 12-17 freewheel New in Box! BSC thread
I suspect one of the pawl springs has shifted and is making the noise .
Old 08-19-19, 12:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I have found that the KMC X8 chain works real nice with the 80's DA stuff and can be had for a good price.

X8-SILVER/GREY - KMC Chain
Old 08-19-19, 12:16 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
The PC-850 chain on a DA MF-7400 freewheel should be a very smooth running combination assuming wear within reasonable limits on both chain and FW cogs.

"funny noises" can be hard to diagnose but a good place to start is confirm that the derailleur tab is parallel / in plane with the wheel. There are tools to check this but it can be set with a Mark 1 eyeball and maybe a straightedge.

Another thing to check is your overall chainline. You want the plane of the chainrings (middle ring on a triple, or equidistant between the two rings on a double) to line up with the middle FW cog. A "gun site" view from the rear will confirm this alignment. See pic below. You can adjust the chainline slightly with spacers or if you have a Phil bottom bracket, moving it laterally. Otherwise you can change the length of the BB spindle or adjust the rear axle spacers.

Little details like this mean all the difference between a bike that just "works" and one that is tuned to perfection.

Finally the new Interloc Racing (IRD) freewheels are excellent. I have one now on a bike with a PC-850 chain and it is the smoothest running drivetrain I've ever experienced. Some earlier IRDs had reported reliability problems - I've had excellent luck with this one so far.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Old 08-19-19, 02:22 PM
JdUk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thorough tips on Maillard FW assessment pastorbob. Unfortunately, I no longer have the freewheel in question, but do have a photo from the sale (I was interested in the hubs because they were a bargain even if everything else was beyond use). I would post that photo to see if anyone could identify the Maillard model, but as a new member here I apparently don´t have enough points to post images. Ho hum.
The c record hub is definitely not marked, so I have to assume it´s Italian.

Good to know JDT. I have seen a couple of nice UniGlide chains on eBay but they cost a small fortune, so if there is no big advantage then I´ll go with the PC-850 for now. Thanks for the photo 912, mine will be 6 at the back and double at the front.

mark a) One day I will splash out on a Regina Oro chain. Also usually a small fortune it seems. b) No problem!

Last edited by JdUk; 08-19-19 at 02:26 PM. Reason: missed a crucial word!