Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 12:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Over 55 years since my first racing bike, countless hundreds of thousands of racing and training miles, and I instinctively go into the drops for the scariest emergency braking situations.

Otherwise, I instinctively go to the hoods (i.e., for all but the scariest situations).

In other words, I brake from the hoods about 99% of the time.

Although, come to think of it, I used to brake from the drops almost exclusively when I was still racing. But that was with Campy Record and Super Record side-pulls, which were notoriously lacking in braking power (our area Campy sales rep used to explain that away by referring to them as "speed modulators," with a straight face).

Last edited by Trakhak; 09-07-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 06:09 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Over 55 years since my first racing bike, countless hundreds of thousands of racing and training miles, and I instinctively go into the drops for the scariest emergency braking situations.

Otherwise, I instinctively go to the hoods (i.e., for all but the scariest situations).

In other words, I brake from the hoods about 99% of the time.

Although, come to think of it, I used to brake from the drops almost exclusively when I was still racing. But that was with Campy Record and Super Record side-pulls, which were notoriously lacking in braking power (our area Campy sales rep used to explain that away by referring to them as "speed modulators," with a straight face).
What.. braking from the hoods most of the time. Careful with that kind of talk - it's how accidents happen. Won't someone think about the children!!!
Old 09-07-19, 07:49 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
What.. braking from the hoods most of the time. Careful with that kind of talk - it's how accidents happen. Won't someone think about the children!!!
About time you came around and saw the light!
Old 09-07-19, 08:33 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I think I was at least 40 years old, maybe older, before I rode anywhere but in the drops or saw any reason to ride anywhere but the drops and I still do not. This hood riding thing came along with modern bicycles that have very little drop and brifters for shifting, the tops riding thing is MTB converts and hipsters on SS/Fixies with interrupter brakes on the tops. I am a brifter free zone.
Old 09-08-19, 08:17 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I think I was at least 40 years old, maybe older, before I rode anywhere but in the drops or saw any reason to ride anywhere but the drops and I still do not. This hood riding thing came along with modern bicycles that have very little drop and brifters for shifting, the tops riding thing is MTB converts and hipsters on SS/Fixies with interrupter brakes on the tops. I am a brifter free zone.
You don't remember these?

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-08-19, 11:40 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Metieval
About time you came around and saw the light!
Making light of the hyperbolistic fear mongering carried out by some... yes, I can get behind that.
Old 09-09-19, 06:19 AM
BobG

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I like drop bars for security on fast speed descents. That said, my hands are too small and wrists too arthritic to be able to brake for any length of time from that position. My neck also gives out looking up from the the drops while braking even though my touring bike bars are 2 inches higher than saddle. The hood position is more comfortable but I can't apply much power from there for long duration... just works for a quick stop or a slight slowing down.

I've found that cross top (interrupter) levers to be ideal for strong power braking on drop bar tops with the same leverage provided by mountain bike flat bar levers. Unlike the old "safety" levers pictured by FiftySix, the cross tops work. I have cantilevers, not sure if they work with discs. The higher, narrower position of cross tops takes some getting used to but it is now my go to position for any long descent. I only use the drops for high speeds with light braking.

Cross tops are particularly useful for long, slow gravel descents that require continual braking but without much risk of getting dislodged from bars on high speed bumps as discussed previously ...

Lemhi Pass ID ^

Last edited by BobG; 09-09-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 06:19 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Making light of the hyperbolistic fear mongering carried out by some... yes, I can get behind that.
Speaking of fear mongering..... nobody is coming for your hoods, & you can keep your hoods if you like your hoods.
Old 09-09-19, 06:26 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
. . . If the Boys wanna fight you better let'em . . .
Likes For bargeon:
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Speaking of fear mongering..... nobody is coming for your hoods, & you can keep your hoods if you like your hoods.
Keep stretching like that and you're bound to pull something.
Old 09-09-19, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I rode over 200 miles on two different drop bar bikes this weekend, and I paid attention to what my hands were doing on the hoods as regards the brakes. My hands are actually wrapped quite firmly around the hoods with two fingers over the top of the brake levers in a position that is clearly no less secure than any hand position on a flat bar. It is true that the top of the brake lever is not the ideal position to apply maximum pressure to the lever, but I realized while I was riding that what I actually do is apply the brakes from the "bad" position and then immediately slide my hand down to complete the close. It takes a fraction of a second and is so fast and automatic that I've never realized up to now that I was doing it.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm doing any downhill riding on mountains, but I do encounter some pretty good size hills with some pretty bad roads, and I do ride the hoods on some of these because I think the higher head position gives me a better chance of scanning the road ahead of me for obstacles. I spend a lot of time riding on country roads I've never been on before so this can be an important consideration.
Old 09-09-19, 08:47 AM
Happy Feet

Just ignoring the troll above

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I rode over 200 miles on two different drop bar bikes this weekend, and I paid attention to what my hands were doing on the hoods as regards the brakes. My hands are actually wrapped quite firmly around the hoods with two fingers over the top of the brake levers in a position that is clearly no less secure than any hand position on a flat bar. It is true that the top of the brake lever is not the ideal position to apply maximum pressure to the lever, but I realized while I was riding that what I actually do is apply the brakes from the "bad" position and then immediately slide my hand down to complete the close. It takes a fraction of a second and is so fast and automatic that I've never realized up to now that I was doing it.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm doing any downhill riding on mountains, but I do encounter some pretty good size hills with some pretty bad roads, and I do ride the hoods on some of these because I think the higher head position gives me a better chance of scanning the road ahead of me for obstacles. I spend a lot of time riding on country roads I've never been on before so this can be an important consideration.
Hunched over the front of the bike is not the best position for descending, it's only the best for a bike not set up to descend and hampered by other design influences. Downhill MTB, probably the most demanding downhill movement and braking genre, has an upright flatbar braking position.

I think, like most arguments on forums, the less important the issue - the more entrenched positions are held. Often stemming from personal perspectives rather than anything else. That's what most of this thread is about. "I use to do it this way, that's the way it should be done!" My bike is set up this way, it's the right way!" Seems pretty clear to me that several different ways work well enough and each has a benefit and draw back. I include my own perspective in that but also realise that that's what the issue boils down to - personal choice.

I've always felt not having a firm stance on what I will and won't try has let me experience a lot of different styles without prejudgement. This weekend I did a short tour on a fat bike. I met a guy who say "I gotta ask: Why?" All I could answer, aside from it allowed me to do some trails was "It was fun."

Unless we are professional cyclists that's all biking is. If we start to insult each other over the choices for having fun (myself included) I think we have lost the theme.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-09-19 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-09-19, 08:57 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Agree ^^^, but that said: thirteen pages!
Old 09-09-19, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just ignoring the troll above

I also have cross top or interrupters on a bike (not my current endurance bike). They work great!

I think, like most arguments on forums, the less important the issue - the more entrenched positions are held. Often stemming from personal perspectives rather than anything else. That's what most of this thread is about. "I use to do it this way, that's the way it should be done!" My bike is set up this way, it's the right way!" Seems pretty clear to me that several different ways work well enough and each has a benefit and draw back. I include my own perspective in that but also realise that that's what the issue boils down to - personal choice.

I've always felt not having a firm stance on what I will and won't try has let me experience a lot of different styles without prejudgement. This weekend I did a short tour on a fat bike. I met a guy who say "I gotta ask: Why?" All I could answer, aside from it allowed me to do some trails was "It was fun."

Unless we are professional cyclists that's all biking is. If we start to insult each other over the choices for having fun (myself included) I think we have lost the theme.
One of the trolls above will now tell you to make the fat bike start fasting.

Like all safety considerations, we're trying to balance probabilities for different kinds of mishaps and, like you say, the close calls are the ones we end up arguing about. Easy calls like "don't put a red flashing light facing forward on your handlebars" aren't going to be argued about.
Old 09-09-19, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by badger1
Agree ^^^, but that said: thirteen pages!
Thirteen! It's a handlebar mitzvah!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-09-19, 09:04 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thirteen! It's a handlebar mitzvah!
Ouch!
Old 09-09-19, 09:41 AM
Happy Feet

Mazel tov!

I do find design choices interesting.

I wonder how much of traditional drop bar design is set in inertia and arbitrary rules from a sport governing body. They (racers) use that design because they have to and create some pretty inventive workarounds because of it ie. superman or sitting on the top tube positions for descending. When freed from the rules drop bars seem to go out the window or morph.

TT's for the TdF have very different bars, Ironman bars don't have drops, touring bikes in Europe tend to eshue drop bars for flats with bar ends or butterfly bars and even gravel biking, basically road biking without the tradition, almost immediately changed the drop bar position design to shallow, flared and cantered.

That's a lot of changing for a design that's the best.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-09-19 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 09:43 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I was almost 40 before i rode a drop-bar bike at all. I know who Greg Lemond is, but I wanted to be John Tomac.
I guess not putting in my time at the feet of masters like yourself has rendered me nothing more than a hairy-legged Dirty Heathen, forever ingorant of The Rules of how to properly ride a bicycle.

We MTB 'converts' (some of us are still unreformed) like to have our shifting and braking within a finger's reach of each other. Safer, that way, ya know? especially in the woods. Had that figured out back when Schwinns were still made in Chicago.
And it's not the MTB guys riding cross-tops. Too narrow. We came up with the (Salsa) Woodchipper and the (Soma) Condor, because 'Technical Riding' can mean very different things depending on where you're doing it.
Old 09-09-19, 09:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I do find design choices interesting.

When freed from the rules drop bars seem to go out the window or morph.

That's a lot of changing for a design that's the best.

Would this still count as a drop bar? Some on this thread might think not.

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-09-19, 11:21 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
like i said making PE optional in school was detrimental.
I flunked PE in Jr High. But I made up for it by not buying cheap beer.
Old 09-09-19, 11:53 AM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
'peer' pressure

I'm not convinced that people are told (as mentioned above) what handlebars to use. I think that most people don't go to the trouble (and expense) of trying out the options. Manufacturers for decades have been spec'ing road and off-road bikes with bars that are impractical and/or uncomfortable for the majority of riders. Shop staff share in the responsibility.

Last edited by BurleyCat; 09-09-19 at 11:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Likes For BurleyCat:
Old 09-09-19, 12:00 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653

I'd say those bars got dropped off the back of a freight truck and run over by the bus behind it. How that turned out a symmetrical set of bends is nearing lottery winning odds.

Old 09-09-19, 12:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

More of a droop bar.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-09-19, 12:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Interesting version of history.
Old 09-09-19, 12:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts

Sure, the Condor is a drop bar. Its a unique drop bar to say the least as there are very few bars that are even close to imitating it. Its like a Randonneur bar on steroids with how much upsweep there is on the tops. But the beauty of drop bars is there are dozens of designs to fit each person's vision of comfort.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.