Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 09-09-19, 11:09 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Sounds killer. What brand of fork did you end up using and where were you able to grab it? It will be interesting to see white.

Quick Centurion question on the side (since you are the Doctor of Centurionology so to speak): Have you ever owned or seen in person a Centurion TRAC? How rare are these? I find it fascinating that Centurion made a bicycle for the Velodrome. What do you think of that bike? Wondering if anyone has seen one for sale ever. Thanks.
Every once in a while I see a Trac on CL , a while back a guy on Pedal Room offered to sell me his . Nice looking velodrome racer I think .

Likes For markwesti:
Old 09-09-19, 10:47 PM
butterfingarz

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posting this at the off chance my stolen LeMans RS ever shows up. Pretty rare considering the size and was in the family since new and traveled to Australia. Located in SoCal and probably in a pile of bikes along the riverbed homeless encampments.

I have some left over original parts off my bike that I would love see go to a new home. Best offer.
Shimano S424 shifters. Indexing broke on rear shifter. Castle nut teeth broke.
Shimano MF-Z012 6 speed freewheel.
Shimano RD-L525 rear derailleur "Light Action"
AG 250G aero brakes. Newer Dia-Compe that fit 80%.
Old 09-10-19, 12:58 PM
butterfingarz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
I am really sorry dude that you had your prized bicycle stolen and it was in your family which double sucks. I know you can never replace it 100 percent because of the sentimental aspect. However, to help with the pain a little have you considered checking on Craigs L? I would recommend it because they have a lot of Centurions that show up there. There is a Dave Scott Ironman that looks exactly like your bike with the same colors but it is a substantially better model. If you are patient and hold out for the right size and excellent condition and the right price you will be surprised how much easier it is to find than you think . They are not too expensive and they are beautiful bikes. Do a google image search and you will see what I mean "Dave Scott Ironman red and white". By the way where was that beautiful picture taken? That is beautiful scenery! Anyway, don't give up on bikes.
It was stolen several months ago but about once a month I will go on there and surrounding areas and search. OfferUp and FB marketplace too. No luck. I just figured since so many seem to be browsing CL, especially SoCal, that if someone saw it one day they would think back to this post.

I loved my Centurion, did the Solvang and San Diego Amtrak Century on it and it got me into road riding somewhat since I mostly mountain bike. I got a Specialized Diverge 64cm gravel bike instead and have been loving passing guys on the bike trail in the dirt. Hope to do some bike packing in the future. That photo was taken at Alamitos Bay near Seal Beack, CA at the Ballast Point brewery there. I road 60 miles there and forgot my bike lock and went home without a beer because I didn't want to leave my Centurion unlocked outside.
Likes For butterfingarz:
Old 09-10-19, 01:35 PM
markwesti

Bike theft is a bummer .
Replacement
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...971337370.html

Or maybe this one .
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...970586562.html
Likes For markwesti:
Old 09-10-19, 06:19 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Where exactly in socal was it taken? I like RS's too. Hard to miss that one, will keep my eyes peeled. I don't get why authorities don't do something. The chops go down in broad daylight.
Old 09-10-19, 06:48 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Finally! Enough posts. Here she is. Any advice on where to even begin with restoration would be awesome.

I already have a new seat and tires/tubes.

I think I just found your Ironman's big brother in similar rough condition.

1986 Centurion Facet. One year model and Centurion's only aluminum frame.
Old 09-10-19, 07:39 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by casanewt
I think I just found your Ironman's big brother in similar rough condition.

1986 Centurion Facet. One year model and Centurion's only aluminum frame.
Ohhhh...I like it! Are you going to keep that angled stem for the handlebars?
Old 09-13-19, 12:23 PM
butterfingarz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by riva
Where exactly in socal was it taken? I like RS's too. Hard to miss that one, will keep my eyes peeled. I don't get why authorities don't do something. The chops go down in broad daylight.
Costa Mesa area. Garage broken into during the day and cable lock cut. Got 3 bikes. They most likely followed me home and knew exactly what I had and came prepared. Privacy circle was set on my Strava. Silly though that there isn't a huge market for people 6'-5''+ looking to buy used bikes.
Old 09-13-19, 07:14 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I changed wheels

I took the Reynolds wheels off my carbon fiber bike and put them on my Purple Haze for a little more comfort and maybe speed at the Hotter 'Hell Hundred. I'm thinking of leaving them. They make the ride even smoother.
Old 09-13-19, 08:22 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts

I just picked this up. I had a 62cm Classic with a 57' TT and made it fit me. While I loved the ride, it felt flexy when pulling on the bars and it was a bit tall so I moved it on. I just sold my 60cm MV which was wonderful but I thought I would like to ride on 28s for Nova EroicaCA. This one is a 58cm with a 57 TT. I was going to hang it up til I had time and for once clean a bike properly, but my wife just told me to work on my new bike.

Last edited by Classtime; 09-13-19 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-13-19, 09:30 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime

I just picked this up. I had a 62cm Classic with a 57' TT and made it fit me. While I loved the ride, it felt flexy when pulling on the bars and it was a bit tall so I moved it on. I just sold my 60cm MV which was wonderful but I thought I would like to ride on 28s for Nova EroicaCA. This one is a 58cm with a 57 TT. I was going to hang it up til I had time and for once clean a bike properly, but my wife just told me to work on my new bike.
I really like the red & white. Yours looks like its going to be really sharp when you get it cleaned up.
Old 09-13-19, 10:05 PM
Classtime 

After a quick bath.

PO rode it gently on a couple Rosarito-Ensenada rides and then stored it for 25 years. I feel better now after missing out on that Red '89.

After a quick bath.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-14-19, 03:38 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I took the Reynolds wheels off my carbon fiber bike and put them on my Purple Haze for a little more comfort and maybe speed at the Hotter 'Hell Hundred. I'm thinking of leaving them. They make the ride even smoother.
That is Cool.
Old 09-14-19, 03:42 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
PO rode it gently on a couple Rosarito-Ensenada rides and then stored it for 25 years. I feel better now after missing out on that Red '89.

After a quick bath.
Oh that IS NICE.
The Classic is such a complete bike. Absolutely everything you could want from a Steel Legend...ENJOY.
Old 09-15-19, 06:10 PM
Classtime 

Very Nice MV in L.A. Area

looks like a 60cm. Mine had a 57cm TT.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...978822053.html
Old 09-18-19, 07:43 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Holy carrotsticks, Batman! That is one &&^%$ hot rod.
Old 09-18-19, 07:47 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Time to call myself out, and promote Bernie

No secret, I've been busy with helping get people to the Coppi event. Also with downsizing my fleet from 56cm to 54cm, building the 54's, riding a few centuries, meeting friends to ride, etc etc etc. I also have a full time job that is kicking my butt.

So, I did not show an Ironman at the Coppi show. Between stripping the 56cm NotYourDaddy's and building the '89 Hard Rock with its components, it was not ready. My Comp TA was, but I didn't take it. My Cinelli-made Equipe was not ready, my Turbo (road) was not ready, and my Turbo (funny/TT) was not ready. I hang my head (cue up Johnny Cash).

HOWEVER....

Bernie was. @76SLT showed his beautiful Ironman at Coppi, and people took pics. He also won the Bianchi award. He also showed the only Crescent, and he had a sweet British bike that remains unidentified, but got a lot of attention.

So Salute the King!
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-18-19, 07:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nasty, baby!
Old 09-26-19, 02:20 PM
markwesti

Looks like the Greek sold the last one . Maybe ? @texaspandj what you been up to ?

Edit : He has more .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12391707129...m=123917071295

Last edited by markwesti; 09-26-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 03:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Ironman Empire....we have a mission:

We are what we are.

The new mission, should we decide to accept it, is a race-ready road Ironman for use where there is 3500' of climbing over 56 miles. For a working mom.

Not a tri-bike. This will be the essence of what the Ironman is, a road bike that can be hammered on rare triathlon occasions.

Frame-check
Fork-check
Headset-check

Compact crankset-check
Bars-not sure, need to see. 38's or 40's.
Stem-check
Seatpost-need a zero-setback
Saddle-check
Wrap-check
Wheelset-check

Cassette-wide needed, 10sp
RD-long cage needed for 10sp
Shifters-needed for 10-sp
Wheels-check
FD-needed for compact double 10sp
Tires-needed, I may have some
Tubes-needed
Seat bag-check
CO2 inflator/cartridge-check

Tire levers (2)- needed

Let me know. We are expanding our dominance. This is how we roll.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-26-19 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 04:12 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Looks like the Greek sold the last one . Maybe ? @texaspandj what you been up to ?

Edit : He has more .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12391707129...m=123917071295
How many of these does this guy in Greece have!?!? I bought one from him and my friend bought two from him. At the time I was told that was all he had left....which is a little annoying. It is also annoying that he never had the forks for these. The last one of these frames that he sold took forever to sell by the way. I am not suggesting that they are fake or that he is making them....they are not a hot enough item for anyone to counterfeit them and I have seen other examples of this frame from other sources and they are the same. The have the look and feel of being absolutely real and I am certain they are. There would be no motive to make fakes because this bike is too obscure and is not sought after that much at all. It is annoying that he was a little bit less than honest about how many frames he possessed. I am surprised that he has so many of such a rare frame. He must have bought out the entire stock for this size that was left over in a warehouse For a long time this frame was impossible to get ...and I mean for years...I know....I looked...I was and am obsessed with this frame. I wonder how many total were made. I am now totally just guessing that there might be anywhere from 150 to 200 frames total. Any thoughts on this Centurion experts? We need your thoughts on this....
Old 09-26-19, 05:01 PM
riva
low end rider

I asked the guy how many he has and he told me something like "right now I have only one" which made me suspect he has more.. Prices are going up, I bet he is running out.. I read Mr. Tunes post and come to the same realization. In the end, the thing is physically the same thing regardless of if it was an officially licensed product from the era or not.

How much does a decent 80's paint job and a set of period decals run these days? Its like you're getting a free frame!! If you choose to look at it that way.
Old 09-26-19, 05:03 PM
riva
low end rider

If the intent was to pay tribute to that brand and that era, and the job they did was so good that the most educated on the brand and era cannot tell if it is real or not.. then what does that say about the thing we are looking at? That feat is almost more unlikely than the unlikelihood of a thing from 30 years ago which you happen to love, that thing from 30 years ago happens to be available for you to purchase as NOS in 2019.
Old 09-26-19, 05:03 PM
markwesti

@VintageTTfan , you have one ? What size is it ? can we see ? The last one and this one are 56's . Well maybe this winter I'll build one , I've already built it in my head 3 times with 5 different paint jobs .
Old 09-26-19, 05:41 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
I asked the guy how many he has and he told me something like "right now I have only one" which made me suspect he has more.. Prices are going up, I bet he is running out.. I read Mr. Tunes post and come to the same realization. In the end, the thing is physically the same thing regardless of if it was an officially licensed product from the era or not.

How much does a decent 80's paint job and a set of period decals run these days? Its like you're getting a free frame!! If you choose to look at it that way.
Yeah it is the dishonesty of it that pisses me off. So it sounds like he did the same to you. I am sure it is an officially licensed product. NO ONE would go through all the trouble to make this as a fake. Centurion (in USA and Germany both) was never a make that was known for respected time trial frames. I could see someone making fake Pinarellos or Colnagos or Rossins or the like. That would be worth the trouble because you could fetch a high price for your fake. But Centurion time trial fakes...No way! It is not a fake ...it is an official product for sure and it was made for German Centurion. My bike mechanic and son who are vintage experts are sure that the frame design and construction and paint are all from the late eighties. I have held a few of these in my hands and yes even I can tell. And by the way good paint jobs are not so cheap.

Not sure if he is running out....it took him forever to sell the last one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.