Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Old 09-07-19, 10:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
SoCal really needs to get it's act together and move these homeless folks out of here, it's getting to the point of lunacy to allow these vagrants to live the way they do, much of the time by choice. You can tolerate a handful but beyond that there's too much potential for some serious problems. You want to live off the grid fine, go out in the boonies or desert.
Please consider educating yourself compassionately on the issues and then advocating FOR the homeless....

Otherwise, apply your solution personally, and move yourself adequately away from the perceived offense: I suggest San Clemente Island... the naval gunnery side should suit well....
Old 09-07-19, 11:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Please consider educating yourself compassionately on the issues and then advocating FOR the homeless....
We don't have a significant homeless population in Inland SoCal. What we have are "people without permanent residence." Those folks are divided into three basic groups:
  • people living outside the system by choice
  • the mentally ill
  • those on the sexual offender registry who cannot obtain housing
The first group are the ones hustling parking lots and freeway entrances for money to support whatever habits they might have. The second are the ones yelling at trees and shuffling around the local streets 24/7. The last group have a generator running out in the riverbed, hooked up to a power strip so they can charge their ankle monitors.

I don't consider myself to lack compassion, but I also have zero desire to advocate for any of the above groups. They cover a range from "do not want help" to "cannot be helped." Group one is the biggest portion of our transient population, and they are essentially anarchists. They don't want to pay bills, they don't want to work, they don't want to be told what to do. Some of those ousted from the SART corridor in Anaheim last year had been living in the section of the river trail for over a decade. They are not victims. They don't need advocacy.

I think most outsiders really don't have a sense of the scale of the situation here. Out of the ~580,000 homeless nationally, 1 in 5 is in California, and nearly half of those-- around 50,000, are in the greater L.A. area.
Old 09-07-19, 11:22 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the original purpose of this post How safe is it to ride the SART, has devolved a bit. All of us wish there was an easy answer to resolving the homeless problem. But, that is not what this thread is really about. It's about being able to enjoy a public bike path/trail and not feeling threatened or afraid. It's also used as a bit of a "shout out" and giving those of use who frequent this trail a bit of a heads-up as to how the trail is evolving.
Old 09-07-19, 11:24 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by drisotope
we don't have a significant homeless population in inland socal. What we have are "people without permanent residence." those folks are divided into three basic groups:
  • the mentally ill
the first group are the ones hustling parking lots and freeway entrances for money to support whatever habits they might have. The second are the ones yelling at trees and shuffling around the local streets 24/7. The last group have a generator running out in the riverbed, hooked up to a power strip so they can charge their ankle monitors.

I don't consider myself to lack compassion, but i also have zero desire to advocate for any of the above groups. They cover a range from "do not want help" to "cannot be helped." group one is the biggest portion of our transient population, and they are essentially anarchists. They don't want to pay bills, they don't want to work, they don't want to be told what to do. Some of those ousted from the sart corridor in anaheim last year had been living in the section of the river trail for over a decade. They are not victims. They don't need advocacy.

I think most outsiders really don't have a sense of the scale of the situation here. Out of the ~580,000 homeless nationally, 1 in 5 is in california, and nearly half of those-- around 50,000, are in the greater l.a. Area.
+1
Old 09-07-19, 02:08 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman

Otherwise, apply your solution personally, and move yourself adequately away from the perceived offense: I suggest San Clemente Island... the naval gunnery side should suit well....
Wow, possibly the most loser response you could possibly make. I am somewhat educated on the matter. I've got actual thoughts not just cheap shots and baseless rhetoric.

Compassion? How about compassion for those "normal" hard working folks that are constantly victimized by the homeless? This includes violence, burglary and exposure to diseases we haven't seen in centuries. There's a reason we didn't allow public camping. Can you pull any compassion out of your butt for them?

Compassion? How compassionate is it to let people do drugs and live on the street, effectively a slow and painful death sentence? Doing drugs on the street like we're seeing and not helping them is basically a death sentence. My understanding, about 1,000 people die on the streets a year in the LA area. Is that what you'd call compassion, because they aren't being helped in any way that is productive. The numbers now are too high. If they had jumped on the problem when two people showed up with tents, it would have been manageable but they've let it slide until it's now a huge problem. Their "compassionate" plan helps maybe 20 year. I'm referring to the really bad off ones that need the most help like drug addicts and the legitimately insane. Is that compassion? Because I think your so-called compassion is what caused this problem to get out of hand and kill people by the thousands.

Compassion? How compassionate is it for the environment to litter tons of trash in the riverbeds just to be swept out to sea? Fortunately the SART has been cleared of the people, but now they have to remove tons of contaminated soil from the piss and crap deposited for several years. So while CA is stupidly banning straws, hundreds of thousands of tons of trash and disease are being swept out to sea. When you power wash the sidewalks and streets, where do you think all of that goes? It bypasses the sewer treatment plants. Great plan.

Compassion? How about the homeless that are victimized by other homeless? Again by violence, drugs and prostitution.

Compassion? Is it compassionate not to change the laws so that we can force some of these poor souls into long-term care? It's obvious some are so far gone they can't help themselves but the current laws are limiting whereby you can put them into care, but they can walk out anytime they choose. Is that compassionate for those that can't help themselves? To let them walk out and eventually die a slow and painful death? Wow.

Please, "compassion" is why we're in the soup we're in now. That's not compassion by any stretch. It's the exact opposite.

Sometimes people voice themselves out of frustration that our politicians and local leaders are not taking care of the problem like they are elected to do. Your false compassion argument is a waste of time and dangerous to everyone involved. GFY

Last edited by HBCruiser1; 09-07-19 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For HBCruiser1:
Old 09-07-19, 02:34 PM
HBCruiser1

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
We don't have a significant homeless population in Inland SoCal. What we have are "people without permanent residence." Those folks are divided into three basic groups:
  • the mentally ill
The first group are the ones hustling parking lots and freeway entrances for money to support whatever habits they might have. The second are the ones yelling at trees and shuffling around the local streets 24/7. The last group have a generator running out in the riverbed, hooked up to a power strip so they can charge their ankle monitors.

I don't consider myself to lack compassion, but I also have zero desire to advocate for any of the above groups. They cover a range from "do not want help" to "cannot be helped." Group one is the biggest portion of our transient population, and they are essentially anarchists. They don't want to pay bills, they don't want to work, they don't want to be told what to do. Some of those ousted from the SART corridor in Anaheim last year had been living in the section of the river trail for over a decade. They are not victims. They don't need advocacy.

I think most outsiders really don't have a sense of the scale of the situation here. Out of the ~580,000 homeless nationally, 1 in 5 is in California, and nearly half of those-- around 50,000, are in the greater L.A. area.
I've often cited this myself. There are definitely groups involved in this mess. For the 20% or so that really need the help, we can't effectively help them until the laws are changed so that family and friends can step in and advocate for them to get them help sometimes against their will. Because of "compassion", the 80% that reject help get cover by the large masses that have collected to victimize not only the lost souls that need legitimate help, but also the surrounding communities of people who want a safe place to raise their families and to live their lives.

The public is slowly beginning to push back. The SART was finally cleared of the campers and frustration is building in communities all over. Normal people will only let this happen for so long. Being one of the top tier taxed states in the nation and living in less than third world conditions (in some communities) doesn't pencil out and when folks realize what is really happening they'll revolt.

Or maybe when some major disease finally breaks out of the encampments infecting the rest of us by the 10's of thousands. Maybe then something will be done. I don't know but it's gone on way too long already.
Old 09-07-19, 03:17 PM
HBCruiser1

Originally Posted by TGT1
Back in the 1960's there was a political conjunction from both sides of the spectrum that led to its dismantling in California.

From the left there was the delusional notion that taking care of someone that could not (or would not) take care of themselves was depriving them of their right to be crazy.

The right jumped on the bandwagon because it was an excuse to quit funding the system.

That and the arrival of psychiatric drugs changed the treatment paradigm to give 'em a pill and send them on their way.
THIS! This is the problem with helping those that really need it. Adding to what TGT1 cited about the hospitals, there was also a push to close the mental hospitals because they were not taking care of their residents well. Sometimes abusive ala "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Instead of fixing the problem (difficult to do with government workers) they slowly pushed to close the hospitals and I think Reagan was the final straw.

Some of those that need it the most have been housed in our prison systems. Not where they should be, but we're seeing the effects now that CA is emptying it's prisons of so-called "non-violent offenders" and basically making burglary and drug use legal.

We had a close friend lose one of their sons to mental illness. Because of the laws, they couldn't commit him to a hospital to be cared for and live. After years of abuse and a roller coaster of drug use, he finally died of an overdose.

So there has to be a common middle ground between not committing people who could take care of themselves and forcing those that need help, to get help. The drugs today like Chinese Fentanyl are too cheap and too powerful to just let those that need help hit bottom and realize they need help. They won't. They'll just die a slow and painful death.
Old 09-07-19, 07:16 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The overwhelming majority of those choosing to live this lifestyle are addicts.

The end effect of decriminalizing addiction is that you can't force someone into treatment. Another "liberal" concept with unanticipated consequences.

So instead you condemn them to a slow death with all the adjutant effects on their family and the rest of society that they inflict on their way down.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 09-09-19, 10:36 PM
LKA 

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '88-712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
The overwhelming majority of those choosing to live this lifestyle are addicts.

The end effect of decriminalizing addiction is that you can't force someone into treatment. Another "liberal" concept with unanticipated consequences.

So instead you condemn them to a slow death with all the adjutant effects on their family and the rest of society that they inflict on their way down.
So you want to make it an issue that is defined by which side of the aisle you reside?

GFY

Drug abuse is the definition of a nonpartisan issue...pointing fingers & laying blame serve no purpose, other than to stir the pot of "no progress." Welcome to politics.
Old 09-10-19, 01:33 AM
HBCruiser1

Originally Posted by LKA
So you want to make it an issue that is defined by which side of the aisle you reside?

GFY

Drug abuse is the definition of a nonpartisan issue...pointing fingers & laying blame serve no purpose, other than to stir the pot of "no progress." Welcome to politics.
You are absolutely correct, it is nonpartisan. However, you do have to honestly look around and see who's running things.

Who's making the decisions, in this case to do nothing.?

Who's behind legalizing public drug use?

Who's behind laws decriminalizing theft?

Who's behind allowing camping in public even though it's illegal?

Who's behind stealing billions of dollars from the taxpayer, then using it to build a handful of housing in LA at a cost of $750,000 per unit?

Who's generally behind the absolute failure of many of the big cities?

Who's behind changing the language to soften the affect? 1000's of people are dying. What good does softening the language do?

What media has generally be complicit in this mess?

These are generally not a conservative approach. Most conservatives are against these things.

I'm with you 100% it's not partisan, but one team has been an abject failure at handling major issues like these by ALL measurable standards.
Can we agree it's a failure?

Last edited by HBCruiser1; 09-10-19 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 02:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
in the last two years, ridden (at least) portions (sometimes complete path) of the ojai valley, carpinteria/ventura, marvin braude, ballona creek, whatever the one that follows the light rail in santa monica is called, sgrt, sart,
coyote creek, rio hondo, la river, long beach, huntington beach, irvine network, trail from sjc train station to the sea (forget the name), hwy 76 bike path, rails to trails paths in carlsbad/escondido/san marcos along the 78/5,
56 bike path, 52 bike path, 54 bike path, 75 silver strand, 94 bike path + smaller paths around the socal region like in fullerton. def a larger homeless presence in the la area river based trails (la river/sgrt/sart/rio hondo/coyote creek)
that is larger than the san diego area paths. orange county east of the 55 fwy has been golden. the path areas are a great resource to have but i find myself opting out of the trails in the la basin area more often lately and scouting for decent routes on the streets. mostly for variety (the paths are boring-but generally direct) and i've never had an issue/situation any of the listed paths in socal.
Old 09-11-19, 07:51 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I have a solution for all the homeless. Ship them all to "Slab City". Look it up. It's a real place.
Jon
Old 09-13-19, 01:24 AM
HBCruiser1

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
... and i've never had an issue/situation any of the listed paths in socal.
Well, I guess that settles it folks. ooga-booga has never had an issue. I guess it's all been a figment of people's imagination. Good thing municipal action to remove the ~1500 vagrants off the SART wasn't based on whether or not YOU had any "issues". Useless comment. Seriously.
Old 09-13-19, 02:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
my experiences and comments, unlike everyone else's, are useless. seriously. those tax write-off's tho...

was responding more to post #453 since the original intent of the thread was far different than what it has become.

next time i ride on the sart (it's been about a month), i'll post about my experience(s)-good or bad-as i have before. if it helps-great.
if it doesn't help further what the thread has morphed into, then that's a bummer in the summer. i'll expect more shaming and ridicule.
calls for a coke slurpee from 7-11 and/or a chocolate dipped chocolate cone from dairy queen. don't mind if i do...

Last edited by diphthong; 09-13-19 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-13-19, 06:41 AM
TakingMyTime

About a week ago I rode from the beach up to Ball/Taft. The trail was wide open and clear of debris and obstructions. I've been doing this ride more often now that the path is clear. There also seem to be a lot more people on bikes than there was a year or 2 ago. BTW, Edna park (about 7 miles from the beach) has a posted "rest area" and it's a good place to fill up your water bottles and use the rest room if needed.
Old 09-13-19, 08:20 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
About a month ago we rode from MacArthur to Imperial. The entire way was clear. There may still be the odd homeless person or a few tucked up under some of the overpasses, but that’s it.

The 405 widening project might impact the trail where it crosses under the freeway at some point. They are doing a lot of bridge work all along the freeway.
Old 09-13-19, 09:16 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I had essentially stopped riding the trail, and now have returned and ridden from Green River to the coast each weekend for the last few months- it does feel like there has been a big increase in usage by more casual riders- families, couple cruising, runners, etc.

It's nice to see folks out using the trail more often.
Old 09-13-19, 03:26 PM
socalboomer
I AM the stress test

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just getting re-started riding again after a long layoff . . . rode 7 miles from Hidden Valley up past the water treatment plant and such. Noticed a few tents and things, but nothing on the path and nobody visible (and especially no "parts" visible)
Old 09-13-19, 06:55 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I'll also vouch that the lower part of the SART is free of the homeless these days. I regularly ride between the beach and the Katella bridge crossing, and rarely see any homeless along that stretch of the path. Just lots of walkers, joggers, bicycle riders of all types (damn those TTr's and their pacelines!!!). Also see the occasional police/sheriff patrol car or motorcycle, but the homeless seem to be staying away from the river.
Old 09-15-19, 12:08 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by socalboomer
Just getting re-started riding again after a long layoff . . . rode 7 miles from Hidden Valley up past the water treatment plant and such. Noticed a few tents and things, but nothing on the path and nobody visible (and especially no "parts" visible)
The issue really isn't on the trail, its in the riverbed. They'll migrate up to move stuff and now you see cars (yes, they drive cars into the riverbed now) on it but for the most part its in the 'forest' of the riverbed. Which always annoys me, they're destroying the habitat. Its one of the few places where there's vegetation and between the homeless and off roaders its not in great shape.
Old 09-15-19, 12:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The OC purge definitely pushed a big chunk of the "homeless" population inland. There are more now than previously. They were getting pretty bold around Mt. Rubidoux/ Bonaminio Park, but seem to have gotten pushed out recently.

It wouldn't be a problem for the trail, except that glass bottles seem to only be used for two purposes: recycling for CRV, or smashing on the ground. Nothing in between.
Old 09-25-19, 05:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I have a solution for all the homeless. Ship them all to "Slab City". Look it up. It's a real place.
Jon
Slab City, also called The Slabs, is a largely snowbird community in the Sonoran Desert located in Imperial County, California, 100 miles northeast of San Diego and 169 miles southeast of Los Angeles within the California Badlands, and used by recreational vehicle owners and squatters from across North America. WikipediaLocation: Sonoran Desert, California (4 miles northeast of Niland)
Old 09-25-19, 05:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Just yesterday, Tuesday September 25, 2019 I looked at the mouth of the SART in Huntington Beach and saw one tent out there in the sand. My immediate reaction was "homeless".
Old 09-25-19, 10:04 AM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
In other south-end-of-the-SART news, that Carl's Jr. that was at Brookhurst and Hamilton for ages has closed ... and it's becoming a Starbucks.
Old 09-25-19, 07:17 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest
In other south-end-of-the-SART news, that Carl's Jr. that was at Brookhurst and Hamilton for ages has closed ... and it's becoming a Starbucks.

If you want a smooth cup of coffee go across the intersection to the donut shop in the Trader Joes shopping center. $1.75 for a large cup. only options are milk and sugar, but the plain black coffee is good without the additives. Donuts are above average, too.

There are some homeless wandering around that area (Brookhurst/Hamilton) and panhandling, but I'm pretty sure most are living in the Fairview and Talbert Parks on the Costa Mesa side of the River. Costa Mesa and Orange County have started a clear-out process for those folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.