Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cassette question? More top end speed?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cassette question? More top end speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 04:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like Specialized calls it a "gravel bike", so it's not quite as silly a choice as a 'cross bike.
Gravel is just road racing on 90's mtbs.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-27-19, 07:24 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Back when I had my custom Roadtech I felt the same way; as if I needed more top end gear. Nowadays on the gray ghost, the 52 is taxing. Despite having no problems pushing my ratrod with a 60 on it and it being a heavier bike. I will get back to pushing that 52, but I don't want to get to that point where it feels like I'm faster than the bike. But maybe that's a good thing... to be able to spin in final drive versus it being any kinda chore.

I know the OP is gone, but there's always a folding bike crank...
Old 10-02-19, 06:58 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I learned a lot.
Old 10-02-19, 07:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I caught an "SCS" in the original post. Don't care that the model says it's not but with SCS you're running what is essentially a cross bike. You put a 50 on it. You want to go faster.
1. Spin. You're mashing.
2. Put a 53 on it
(have we really come to the point where people have forgotten that a 53 is considered a "full sized" crank?) - you already have an 11. That's as big as you can go on your setup.
3. Get an actual road bike instead of a cross bike masquerading as a road bike.
I wanted to say something like this but to amplify, the 11 isn't really a great gear for eking out your top speed, because it robs you of efficiency (more chain bend). Putting a standard 53 ring on allows you to use the 13 or 14. Or more ideally, spin faster with a larger cassette cog.

Save that 11 for mashing with a huge tailwind.
Old 10-02-19, 07:13 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
This. 42+ MPH is plenty of top end.
For flats yes more than enough but not for decends
Old 10-02-19, 07:16 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I caught an "SCS" in the original post. Don't care that the model says it's not but with SCS you're running what is essentially a cross bike. You put a 50 on it. You want to go faster.
1. Spin. You're mashing.
2. Put a 53 on it (have we really come to the point where people have forgotten that a 53 is considered a "full sized" crank?) - you already have an 11. That's as big as you can go on your setup.
3. Get an actual road bike instead of a cross bike masquerading as a road bike.
What is an "SCS"? A couple of years back the Diverge and the Roubaix shared the same frame, and many components but were geared differently and came with different tires etc. I quickly learned that the Diverge was more of a 'do it all' road bike than a true road bike so I have been making some upgrades to make it more potent and capable on the roads. Especially now that I am living in Florida where its flat and consistent and fast. SO, I upgraded my 48/32 to a 50/34. Still in packs I see guys on truer road bikes carrying the same speed I am yet they have more gears to go then I do. SO, my thought process was the cassette was the next thing I can upgrade to get some more efficiency and speed out of the bike BEFORE I invest in another bike altogether. Thanks.
Old 10-02-19, 08:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
Sometimes it's nice being a "bigger" guy, if I'm 40+ on a descent, I just tuck in and I'm passing everyone, no pedaling needed.
Old 10-02-19, 08:52 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Do you really pedal over 40mph? Do you know how much power it takes to increase speed over 40 mph? Well... uh.. it's a lot. (math, physics... not my thing) but, there's that exponential thing - power to overcome wind resistance.
You're better off getting in your most bestest tuck and saving your legs for the inevitable climb that follows every 40 mph descent... it's just past that little bridge over that creek you can't see.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 10-02-19, 09:08 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Aero is ALMOST always faster then pedaling when you get over 40MPH
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 10-02-19, 09:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Well, he might not be able to do 120 rpm. A lot of inexperienced riders tend to mash.
Not typed or offered as being argumentative

If he is inexperienced that's all the more reason to work on the engine as opposed to the transmission. There's more to gain "bang for the buck" by doing so.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-02-19, 01:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Not typed or offered as being argumentative

If he is inexperienced that's all the more reason to work on the engine as opposed to the transmission. There's more to gain "bang for the buck" by doing so.
My point was if he's a masher he's not spinning that thing up to 42 mph, so why would he need a bigger gear?
Likes For big john:
Old 10-02-19, 01:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
What is an "SCS"? A couple of years back the Diverge and the Roubaix shared the same frame, and many components but were geared differently and came with different tires etc. I quickly learned that the Diverge was more of a 'do it all' road bike than a true road bike so I have been making some upgrades to make it more potent and capable on the roads. Especially now that I am living in Florida where its flat and consistent and fast. SO, I upgraded my 48/32 to a 50/34. Still in packs I see guys on truer road bikes carrying the same speed I am yet they have more gears to go then I do. SO, my thought process was the cassette was the next thing I can upgrade to get some more efficiency and speed out of the bike BEFORE I invest in another bike altogether. Thanks.
So you're riding with those guys and you can't keep up because you don't have enough gear? Or you see guys going fast and they are not in their highest gear when you are?
Are you spun out? Do you often spin out in your highest gear? Just trying to understand what's going on.
Old 10-02-19, 01:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My point was if he's a masher he's not spinning that thing up to 42 mph, so why would he need a bigger gear?
In that case, we are in total agreement
Old 10-02-19, 07:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You actually use your 50x11? I sure don't--at least not on a level grade. 50x15 is about my highest useful gear on the flat, which gets me going about 26 mph (but not for long).

Gears higher than that (50x14, 50x13, 50x12, 50x11) on flat terrain are just hypothetical.
When I ride out of the saddle on the flat and moderate inclines, I’m often using 50x11. I just can’t crank very fast out of the saddle. The higher gear slows the cadence way down.
Old 10-05-19, 09:32 PM
john.b

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something else to consider is that not all gravel/cross bikes have enough clearance to fit a double with a 53 chainring. I know that is true of some of Trek’s Boone cross bikes.

Also, SCS hubs were a proprietary design by Specialized for a couple of years where they tried to solve the right problem with the wrong solution. If that’s what the OP has, it’s worth being aware that they can’t be replaced with any off-the-shelf hubs/wheels.
Old 10-07-19, 03:48 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
Something else to consider is that not all gravel/cross bikes have enough clearance to fit a double with a 53 chainring. I know that is true of some of Trek’s Boone cross bikes.

Also, SCS hubs were a proprietary design by Specialized for a couple of years where they tried to solve the right problem with the wrong solution. If that’s what the OP has, it’s worth being aware that they can’t be replaced with any off-the-shelf hubs/wheels.
As a technical solution it's not awful, but they never tried to build any industry consensus for it and didn't really try super hard to push it despite their massive size as a company. The really crap thing about SCS was that only two hubs have been made for it--the 24H Specialized hub and a special Hope hub, also in 24H. This is really dumb considering most of these bikes were for gravel/adventure and many customers were probably riding rougher roads, were heavier, and or were wanting to carry some luggage. Had a customer on an older Diverge completely obliterate the stock rear wheel--the hub flange was failing epicly (like a quarter of one blew off)in addition to the rim and the nipples. Ironically all the spokes themselves were fine. Only solution within budget I had was to source a Spec hub from a Specialized dealer and build a new wheel--because I had to do 24H I used an especially beefy rim (in this case, a DT R511) and built it to relatively high tension with extremely even tension--I hope it's still working well, I was clear it was not the solution I would have prefered.