Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 07:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
54cm red/white IM on the Ebay Craigslist finds threads. White ST and head tube which makes it an 85, correct? Listed for $120 on Seattle FB Market place.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8776333834193/

Last edited by seypat; 09-30-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 10:29 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
54cm red/white IM on the Ebay Craigslist finds threads. White ST and head tube which makes it an 85, correct? Listed for $120 on Seattle FB Market place.

Since I clicked on that, all my FB marketplace listing are now for the PNW. Darnit, I had just gotten them to stop showing me stuff in Buffalo...from when I was out there four months ago.

"I'm selling it because the front tire is flat." Hmmm.
Old 09-30-19, 10:31 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

1986. No red/white in 1985. Model year. Those graphics began for 1986.
Old 09-30-19, 10:37 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
1986. No red/white in 1985. Model year. Those graphics began for 1986.
Ok.
Old 09-30-19, 11:30 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
My New '86

I identify the Classics by the "Centurion" on the seat stay caps. I was taking my time putting this one together. Usually, I rush.
I planned to rebuild/tension the wheels before I put it together, but the Bike Ribbon arrived Friday night and here it is on a 30 miler today with only a truing of the wheels.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-30-19, 04:29 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I identify the Classics by the "Centurion" on the seat stay caps. I was taking my time putting this one together. Usually, I rush.
I planned to rebuild/tension the wheels before I put it together, but the Bike Ribbon arrived Friday night and here it is on a 30 miler today with only a truing of the wheels.
Old 09-30-19, 04:52 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts

That is an '87 Expert. Not an '86.
Old 09-30-19, 05:26 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I think we already have them in CA, TX, and NH...but world dominance is a slow process.
Yep put a push pin in CA on that ironmaiden map. Due in no small part to you Sir. I'll see what I can do on the other 47..

Here's a couple resto mod versions of the miami vice song posted earlier in the thread..

Last edited by riva; 09-30-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 08:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
That is an '87 Expert. Not an '86.
I stand corrected, didn't see the 105 on it.
Old 10-01-19, 08:13 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Likelihood these are counterfeit is < 1% in my opinion. There are a few threads on these here and the consensus seems to be they're from the German Centurion company, probably when they were still working with H. Tano in Japan. They seem to have be mostly showing up in Europe, from what I've seen. A few years ago, someone in Great Britain also had a stash of these they were selling, with the forks. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a box of 650C forks waiting to be found somewhere in Greece (that eBay seller threw another frame up for sale, by the way).

You might try going to the German Centurion (the company is Merida & Centurion Germany GmbH) site and emailing them with an inquiry, to see if they recall anything about these frames. I previously did this, to see if they had any connection with WSI (they didn't, other than previously using the same general contractor, H, Tano, in Japan) and they got quickly back to me and were pleased to know that people still dig the old Centurion bikes.
Sorry just getting back to yah....computer problems.....aarrrrgh!...............Anyway, I agree that it is utterly unlikely that the Centurion Turbo TT is a fake or a counterfeit. I will not rehash my arguments as they are posted right above. I also agree that they are from the Germany Centurion company and Made in Japan. Mostly showing up in Europe and Greece with a couple exceptions for ones in the USA. This makes sense as it is more a European kind of bicycle. It would also fit the Japan of its time.

Can you give me a link or tell me some info on the person that was selling the stash of them out of Great Britain with the forks? Do you know what size these were? I am trying to track down info so that would help. I think that box of forks would be more likely to show up in Germany or somewhere else in Europe. That would make some people very happy who only have the frame and no fork.

I tried contacting the German Centurion company and sent them lots of documentation and pictures but I got no response. I did not email a direct person but the general info email address. If you or anyone on this forum has a direct person in the German Centurion company that they can email and ask if they have any info or remember anything about this bike or if they can send email a catalog with it therein, then that would be awesome. The company is still around. This might solve the vexing mystery. That would be amazing! Okay thanks for your response.
Old 10-01-19, 08:25 PM
VintageTTfan

My Japanese bike serial number would not be relevant to the TT mystery. If you want to solve the mystery, Europe will be your best bet. The post above mine had a good suggestion. Also contact the bike shops located in and around Germany. You might get lucky. My Asian Expert has a faded sticker from the Japanese shop that originally sold it. I looked them up and they are still in business. I also have a Condor that was purchased in the early 70s from the shop in England. They are still in business as well. You might get lucky.
Well I figure I should send this message before this INFERNAL EVIL MACHINE they call a computer goes into the repair shop. Not that it is driving me crazy but if my relatives find me in the mental ward they will know why.

Anyway, to get to the point finally, I agree that your Japanese bike serial number would not pertain to the issue. Contacting German bike shops is also a good idea. That is cool when old bike shops are still around.

So let me ask you point blank....How do you assess my argument above based on the serial numbers? It is post 7346 with the Sherlock Holmes pics. I was also hoping T Mar and any other Centurion experts would way in on my argumentation. Thanks.
Old 10-01-19, 10:22 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Can you give me a link or tell me some info on the person that was selling the stash of them out of Great Britain with the forks? Do you know what size these were? I am trying to track down info so that would help. I think that box of forks would be more likely to show up in Germany or somewhere else in Europe. That would make some people very happy who only have the frame and no fork.

I tried contacting the German Centurion company and sent them lots of documentation and pictures but I got no response. I did not email a direct person but the general info email address. If you or anyone on this forum has a direct person in the German Centurion company that they can email and ask if they have any info or remember anything about this bike or if they can send email a catalog with it therein, then that would be awesome. The company is still around. This might solve the vexing mystery. That would be amazing! Okay thanks for your response.
Re: The Great Britain bikes. Unfortunately the synapses those memories are attached to are no longer firing due to chronic CRS syndrome. This was probably 4-5 years ago and was discussed on the board, maybe on this thread.

I don't know if you came across this page, Dumptruck's Daily Special: Search results for centurion turbo, about a Turbo TT frame from Italy, that was part of a NOS batch of 10 someone was selling back in 2013.

Re: The German Centurion Company. I emailed their marketing point-of-contact at marketing@merida-centurion.com and someone named Tristan Zerdick replied using that email. We had a few back and forths and he seemed to be genuinely interested in assisting me.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 10-01-19, 11:11 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Re: The Great Britain bikes. Unfortunately the synapses those memories are attached to are no longer firing due to chronic CRS syndrome. This was probably 4-5 years ago and was discussed on the board, maybe on this thread.

I don't know if you came across this page, Dumptruck's Daily Special: Search results for centurion turbo, about a Turbo TT frame from Italy, that was part of a NOS batch of 10 someone was selling back in 2013.

Re: The German Centurion Company. I emailed their marketing point-of-contact at marketing@merida-centurion.com and someone named Tristan Zerdick replied using that email. We had a few back and forths and he seemed to be genuinely interested in assisting me.
First of all thanks for the help on this. Second of all, I pray right now that your health improves.

That tip on the rep from German Centurion will help tremendously and I just got done sending him an email with pictures.

The page on Dumptruck Daily Special was what set me on a six year quest to finally obtain this bicycle (I eventually got two). The pictures there are my favorite and I have been in friendly contact with person behind that web page who owns the bike. He does not know anything more about the bicycle than I do but he also wants to know more. Well hopefully I will be getting an answer and I will post the results of my query here. Thanks again and all the best.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 10-01-19 at 11:14 PM. Reason: misspeling
Old 10-02-19, 05:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Ironman Carbon
and.....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-02-19, 05:06 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Just so I am adding something....Thought you guys would appreciate this cool picture:

Which Centurion is he riding here again?
Painted up like a 1989 Master ("Hard Rock") marbled fade. From what we've learned, more likely a Zunow built for him.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-02-19, 07:35 AM
seypat

Well I figure I should send this message before this INFERNAL EVIL MACHINE they call a computer goes into the repair shop. Not that it is driving me crazy but if my relatives find me in the mental ward they will know why.

Anyway, to get to the point finally, I agree that your Japanese bike serial number would not pertain to the issue. Contacting German bike shops is also a good idea. That is cool when old bike shops are still around.

So let me ask you point blank....How do you assess my argument above based on the serial numbers? It is post 7346 with the Sherlock Holmes pics. I was also hoping T Mar and any other Centurion experts would way in on my argumentation. Thanks.
I would say your best way at chasing down the history is across the pond in Europe. Find out the teams that Centurion Germany sponsored or sold bikes to. One clue is that all of the TT Turbos posted are some color of pink to purple.(unless I missed one) That could be an official Centurion Team color. Or it could be just a Team color that varied a little bit through the years. I think there were some countries that boycotted the 88 Olympics. That could lead to some clues. Google vintage Centurion Cycling on the various European country sites. It might turn up a jersey or other cycling gear with a clue. I looked on Ebay Germany and found this.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/retro-26-CEN...AAAOSwR5FdFOzA

Last edited by seypat; 10-02-19 at 09:48 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-02-19, 07:38 AM
seypat

cool
Getting ready to send these tubes and tire levers. I have tubes in either 700/622 18-25 or 700/622 25-32. Which size do you want?

Last edited by seypat; 10-02-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 01:06 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Expert IM 54cm , for sale . Not mine , looks good shape , friendly price .
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...990905121.html

Old 10-02-19, 02:20 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Expert IM 54cm , for sale . Not mine , looks good shape , friendly price .
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...990905121.html

Is that really 54? Looks more like 56 to me, but I don’t claim to be one of the experts.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 10-02-19, 02:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Is that really 54? Looks more like 56 to me, but I don’t claim to be one of the experts.
It does to me too . How hard is it to take a tape measure and measure CtoT ? Plus he also calls it a 55cm .
Old 10-02-19, 03:26 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
New to me 87 Expert....

Found the elusive (for me) 87....

Oddly it has a 600 tricolor crankset rather than 105.... later upgrade? Otherwise seems pretty stock with 105, Wolber Alpine rims... I put on a new chain, trued the wheels a bit, and off I went....

....I am very happy with this bike....

This makes 3 centurions now... yikes, but fun.
Likes For no67el:
Old 10-02-19, 04:21 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Look at it this way.. multiple 80's centurions... still cheaper than one brand new wizz bang keeping up with the joneses bike.

I can talk myself into anything. That thing does look sweet tho!

Originally Posted by due ruote
I need to stay away from OC..
Old 10-02-19, 04:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by no67el
Found the elusive (for me) 87....

Oddly it has a 600 tricolor crankset rather than 105.... later upgrade? Otherwise seems pretty stock with 105, Wolber Alpine rims... I put on a new chain, trued the wheels a bit, and off I went....

....I am very happy with this bike....

This makes 3 centurions now... yikes, but fun.
You now know "the deal."
Old 10-02-19, 04:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

So a Centurion Carbon but painted to look like a yellow Ironman Master? Forgive the confusion. That would make sense to me in that the Carbon would be viewed as advanced at that time and he would maybe want to take advantage of it.
Yup.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-02-19, 04:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I had heard of that practice ....of making a "better" bike look like a "lesser" bike because of sponsorship. Pretty sneaky. Zunow is a great bike though....I have to admit. Pretty deceptive practice ...but all is fair in war I guess. I think they did that with a particular racing Huffy (that was really Italian made).
Very, very common practice, even between Italian firms and European teams. Custom sizes rarely came off the rack. Many riders had a favorite bike, long before fitting to exact size, type of stage, and even power became normal. So, they had their favorite made, sprayed, and then they played.
Likes For RobbieTunes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.