Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gunnar Hyper XF - new bike day!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gunnar Hyper XF - new bike day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 10:31 AM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
Beautiful bike, love that colour. I bought a Waterford at Vecchio's a year ago - it was a custom frame, but it still has about same number of spacers as your bike. They built it with the handlebars near the top of the spacers, and I've gradually moved it almost to the bottom of the stack. It is nice to have the ability to move higher in the future, in case I have less flexibility when I'm older. So I think you did the right thing with the number of spacers.
Thanks for the input. I consider this a conservative start for me. I'd love to get the stem lower and flatter, ultimately, but I'm going to ease into it. I want to get a bunch of miles under my belt first and then go from there.
Old 04-23-19, 10:33 AM
KeatonR

Originally Posted by Koyote
Nice bike -- I've got the same model (complete with the same Enve fork) on order right now. How long did yours take to arrive?

Also, you bought it from a great shop - Vecchio's is great.

Enjoy your birthday gift!
I think it took about a month for the frame and fork to come in. After that, the build went really quickly. And I agree about the shop -- I have had a really good experience there.
Old 04-23-19, 10:38 AM
KeatonR

Originally Posted by gravelED
Beautiful bike. How do you like the Mavic wheels? I was looking at getting a set
Honestly, I went with them based on reviews and how they looked, but I can report back after this weekend about how they ride. But I love the system. I have changed the tires to something smaller and then back to the 40s with just a hand pump. The UST concept is really cool and user friendly. And I do love the look of the wheels as well.
Old 09-11-19, 11:12 PM
derv88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we have an update on your new gunnar? Specifically looking for feedback from your riding experience. I am looking at Hyper X for a serious gravel racing machine, and your input here would be very appreciated!

-Jack
Old 09-12-19, 01:23 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Gunnar's are beautiful! Nice!
Old 09-23-19, 10:28 PM
derv88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Gunnar Hyper-XF that's on order, but still would love to hear a new owner report from you, KeatonR..

Last edited by derv88; 09-23-19 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 08:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by derv88
I bought the Gunnar Hyper-XF that's on order, but still would love to hear a new owner report from you, KeatonR..
You're not asking me, but I did get a new custom Hyper-xf a while back. I recommend that you buy the bottle of touch-up paint from Waterford, as the paint (on mine anyway) doesn't seem too sturdy...I've been racing the bike all summer, and have accumulated several chips and scratches. (Or, as I call it, "patina.")

Also, the bike is a little heavier than I expected, and the frame feels plenty stiff -- both of which suggest that it is built of a rather stout tubeset. That's okay with me, as I prefer sturdy over featherweight.
Old 09-24-19, 01:52 PM
KeatonR

Originally Posted by derv88
Can we have an update on your new gunnar? Specifically looking for feedback from your riding experience. I am looking at Hyper X for a serious gravel racing machine, and your input here would be very appreciated!

-Jack
Sure. After a spring and summer of riding quite a bit, I can say that I absolutely love the bike and have no regrets whatsoever. I have two identical wheelsets, as I mentioned, one with 40mm offroad tires and one with 32mm slicks. I've put about equal mileage on each, but one thing that has surprised me is how capable this bike is as a road bike, when I need it to be. Yes, it's on the heavier side for a road bike, but I just did a 75 mile organized road ride with more than 5,000 feet of climbing and didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage at all. Having said that, where the bike really shines, for me, is offroad. I'm biased toward steel, but I really like the stability and the ride of this frame on the dirt and gravel. The bike can feel nimble enough when I need it to be, but there's also the comfort for settling in for long rides. I also really like the more classic geometry, with the close to straight across top tube (and the longer top tube, which works well for me). And for me, every component was an upgrade from my previous bike (a Lemond Poprad, which I also loved), so I've really appreciated the step up to Ultegra, the more appropriate and useful gearing, the much nicer wheels. All in all, this has been a really great bike for me so far.
Old 09-26-19, 10:52 PM
njord4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a custom paint job or one of their recent colors? Looks great.
Old 10-03-19, 01:30 PM
KeatonR

Originally Posted by njord4
Is that a custom paint job or one of their recent colors? Looks great.
It's the Dark Blue Pearl. It was one of the current colors when I got the bike in April, but it looks like it has moved to the Archived/recent list. I thought too much about the color and wanted a blue of some sort, and as I was agonizing over it the dark blue moved into the current column and that was it. Was close to doing Dahlia Blue, though.
Old 10-04-19, 09:51 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
beautiful bike! did you leave the tires the way they came or turn it around?
Old 10-04-19, 12:52 PM
KeatonR

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
beautiful bike! did you leave the tires the way they came or turn it around?
Well, the tires are still the way they were installed, which is how Mavic recommends running them. But when I re-do the sealant I think I'll switch the direction of the front one and see how it rides. The explanation I've read is that the recommended setup helps shed water in the front while maintaining traction in the back, but I live in a dry climate and don't find myself riding in wet conditions very often.
Old 10-04-19, 01:09 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Nice! I, too, have a Gunnar from Vecchio's and it fits me like a glove. Perfect bike.
Old 02-20-20, 01:59 AM
derv88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Nice! I, too, have a Gunnar from Vecchio's and it fits me like a glove. Perfect bike.
Did I show you the finished product?
Old 02-29-20, 11:06 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
No, haven't yet seen it