Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Continuous Squeal while Coasting.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-04-19, 09:08 PM
Joroz001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finished a new bike build and everything is working perfectly until on a trial run to bed the brakes the bike develops a very loud squeal when I am freewheeling. I have a video on you tube but the system will not let me post it I b will try to post it as a comment.

The disc brakes are no rubbing, they also make a different sound when they do rub.

I tried tightening the thru axles but that did not affect the sound.

I am running Reynolds Areo 65 wheels with industry 9 hubs.

Does anyone have c any idea what could be causing this.
Old 10-04-19, 10:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Try to describe again what's going on. Squeal when coasting and not applying brakes, which brake? When you pedal is quiet no matter what? Andy
Old 10-05-19, 04:18 AM
Soroz001

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squeal when coasting without applying the brake. Pedaling immediately stops the squeal no matter what, and braking immediately stops the squeal as well. It is coming from the rear.

I have a video on you tube but I can’t post links. Look for this on YouTube it is the video unique identifier:

K5rNkr8NGK8
Old 10-05-19, 06:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
That it only happens when coasting suggests to me that the issue is in the ratchet mechanism. Lubricate that and see if it helps.
Old 10-05-19, 07:09 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Soroz001
Squeal when coasting without applying the brake. Pedaling immediately stops the squeal no matter what, and braking immediately stops the squeal as well. It is coming from the rear.

I have a video on you tube but I can’t post links. Look for this on YouTube it is the video unique identifier:

K5rNkr8NGK8
Originally Posted by Joroz001
I just finished a new bike build and everything is working perfectly until on a trial run to bed the brakes the bike develops a very loud squeal when I am freewheeling. I have a video on you tube but the system will not let me post it I b will try to post it as a comment.

The disc brakes are no rubbing, they also make a different sound when they do rub.

I tried tightening the thru axles but that did not affect the sound.

I am running Reynolds Areo 65 wheels with industry 9 hubs.

Does anyone have c any idea what could be causing this.
Why are you using too different names on BF? I just listened to your video, almost sounds like the tire is rubbing when coasting. Too much camera movement to verify that.

Check the cones on the axle, maybe too much play allowing the wheel to shift off center. Application of the brake may be re-centering the wheel.

Or I would service (clean and lubricate) the freewheel or ratchet mechanism as others have mentioned.

Here is the link to the video so others can see it easily.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 10-07-19 at 01:35 AM. Reason: added link to video
Old 10-05-19, 07:13 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Shot in the dark, could be a seal in the freehub rubbing while it is freewheeling. If the body is removable (I'm not as familiar with the newer hubs), I'd take it off and see if you can replicate the noise with it off the hub and do some inspecting to see if anything looks out of place.
Old 10-06-19, 10:25 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That it only happens when coasting suggests to me that the issue is in the ratchet mechanism. Lubricate that and see if it helps.
Can't believe someone got the diagnosis right

This is the ONLY thing that matches those symptoms.