Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lost that cycling loving feeling ...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lost that cycling loving feeling ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 02:14 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19

In my youth I was a competitive athlete. Went to college on a football scholarship (QB) and also played baseball (SS). When I began cycling in my 30's I was filled with that competitive testosterone. Up until last year. at age 72, I was so focused on being faster, stronger, better, that I wasn't enjoying riding. But, mid way through the season something changed. When my Saturday club ride started getting over 40 miles I just said no. That's not what I want to do. I enjoy my little TTs and my 25-35 mi. rides I can ride them hard or I can focus on playing with gear selection or different cadence when climbing. And, I can ride and particularly climb at my pace rather than the group pace. I stopped caring about how others saw me as a cyclist. I started enjoying being on the bike. This year for my 73 birthday my gf bought me a CAAD12 and with that bike and a new attitude I have been having more fun than I've had in years. The strange thing is that I'm also riding with "souplesse" as the French say. In my youth I was stronger but I've never been better.
I'll tell you how in see you as a cyclist. I want to be like you.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-04-19, 03:02 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'll tell you how in see you as a cyclist. I want to be like you.
No one has ever said that before. I'll have what you're drinking.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-04-19, 11:35 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Stop training, and just ride.
This.

Like you, I used to work hard, consistently topping 10K miles per year. I climbed 15k feet every Saturday one year.

And the day after the best ride of my life,
I realized I'd turned cycling into a job. Sure it was a rush getting invited to race on teams where the next oldest guy was 10 years younger than me, but ultimately it wasn't worth it.

I decided to quit training forever. Watching that speed I'd worked years to achieve melt off stung at first, but it was definitely the right decision.

I'm a ghost of my former self, but I love cycling as much or more than I ever did. When your only objective is to have a great time, it's a lot easier to succeed.
Old 10-05-19, 11:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Try a different kind of riding.

If you don’t already mountain bike, try it.
Old 10-05-19, 01:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
What others said: new bike, new roads, new groups, new discipline(s)!

Everyone is different, but personally, taking up gravel and keeping a single speed helps me break the rut. Gravel is just different enough to be interesting, and the single speed keeps me honest and makes me appreciate geared bikes for hills, headwinds, etc.

Having a regular training partner or riding buddy can be good, too. It's hard to say 'no' to a ride when it's a nice day and your riding buddy is insisting that you go out.
Old 10-05-19, 04:30 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Used to ride 5-10k every year uptil last year.

Every free moment was a time to ride.

Now ... Done about 1.5k and no interest in riding at all.

Any suggestions to get back that loving feeling?

Its like cycling disfunction.
Get rid of the computer/strava, whatever, ride withoutkillingyourself, smellthe air, short or long, wet or dry, fast or slow. Just ride.
Likes For surgeonstone:
Old 10-06-19, 07:17 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Throw a hammer through your TV screen. Physically cut the cable leading to your house. Break the WiFi box. Squeeze the life out of your 'smart'... I mean... stupid phone in a vise. Let the air out of all of your car tires. Clean your bike really good. Take components off and clean them. Caress them and give 'em a big fat juicy smooch when no one is looking (personally, I don't care and kiss and hug my bicycles even if people watch). You'll love your bike, then! C'mon... man (or chica)... bike riding is fun so get the fun back into your rides!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-06-19, 07:18 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I forgot... go to Sheldon Brown's website and purchase some Product 'W'! It will encourage you to ride again if you use the treatment often enough!
Old 10-06-19, 07:58 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Give yourself a break and let nature take its course. Everyone gets burned out every once in a while.
Old 10-06-19, 08:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Whenever I feel like you do I usually just convince myself to do a 2-4 mile casual ride just because I have nothing else to do. I tell myself that it's no biggee and I'll be home in 15 minutes anyway. Sometimes those short rides are great for the soul.
Old 10-06-19, 10:40 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'll echo what everyone else has said. Take break. Or look in to doing some different kind of riding such as cyclecross or mountain biking. Maybe start going out for rides without any timing devices and just ride for the fun of it. Good luck. I hope your enjoyment of cycling comes back.
Old 10-06-19, 11:15 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Schedule yourself - you're doing about 1,500 mi a yr now so, ride 12-13 mi... every 3 days. Just take a minute to put it on your phone's calendar going out for years. Don't let anyone screw with it and make sure it's everyone else and not you that must work around it. Little enough to ask, right... an hour or so of a quality exercise every 3 days? Then, you have something to look forward to, which falls on different days every consecutive week but at the same time is very easy to calculate.
Old 10-09-19, 07:32 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
This.

Like you, I used to work hard, consistently topping 10K miles per year. I climbed 15k feet every Saturday one year.

And the day after the best ride of my life,
I realized I'd turned cycling into a job. Sure it was a rush getting invited to race on teams where the next oldest guy was 10 years younger than me, but ultimately it wasn't worth it.

I decided to quit training forever. Watching that speed I'd worked years to achieve melt off stung at first, but it was definitely the right decision.

I'm a ghost of my former self, but I love cycling as much or more than I ever did. When your only objective is to have a great time, it's a lot easier to succeed.
This makes me a bit sad because I started biking purely to race. I’m really slow and never developed the motivation to train really hard but I always figured there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I’m still going to try my best to get to where you were, but I guess I need to mentally prepare for not being totally satisfied with that.