Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing really sticky grease?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-07-19, 05:16 PM
Cibi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

I just bought a 1987 bike (Nice Gardin with full Campagnolo Victory groupset), everything is in great condition, but the grease in the headset. Whatever happened to it, it now feels like someone mistook glue for grease at some point, it's not hard but super sticky, almost like the tacky glue residue under an old bar tape. Any trick for breaking it down and cleaning it that wouldn't involve some nasty chemicals?

Thanks
Old 10-07-19, 05:25 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,373 Posts
Soft stick to scrape out big chunks. Place piece of clothe over stick wipe more. Soak clothe in alcohol and wipe out. Should be easy
Old 10-07-19, 06:06 PM
Cibi42

Originally Posted by WGB
Soft stick to scrape out big chunks. Place piece of clothe over stick wipe more. Soak clothe in alcohol and wipe out. Should be easy
Thanks
I did the first 2 steps last night, it was tough and slow and hardly removed anything. But i’ll try the alcohol method as well now
Old 10-07-19, 06:38 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Alcohol is a very poor solvent for grease. Use kerosene or Odorless Mineral Spirits (OMS). WD-40 is also a decent grease solvent since it is mostly OMS containing a bit of oil. Let the parts soak in it to dissolve the hardened grease.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-07-19, 06:42 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Mineral spirits may be more effective than alcohol, but alcohol is more likely to be around the house for a small job.

Try scrubbing the last bits off with an old toothbrush.
Old 10-07-19, 08:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
^ I keep a big jug of mineral spirits around because I love it so much.
Old 10-07-19, 08:22 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,373 Posts
I suggested alcohol as an alternative to "chemicals". I am afraid I rely on chemicals but alcohol will work just takes longer and more effort.
Old 10-07-19, 08:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
There is really no good substitute for petroleum distillates.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-07-19, 08:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Soak the parts in diesel. Get the diesel at the gas station, should run you ~$3.00 a gallon. Bring a gas can.

I like working with diesel, it seems almost organic to me. Slightly flammable, but it's mainly just oil out the ground.
Old 10-07-19, 08:35 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Mineral spirits may be more effective than alcohol, but alcohol is more likely to be around the house for a small job...
Charcoal lighter fluid, lighter lighter fluid, paint thinner, WD-40...

The small yellow containers of lighter fluid are cheap, very handy, and leave hands odor free. Also great for removing tape adhesive residue, tar tracks, chewing gum, lots of stuff.
Old 10-08-19, 06:16 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I've found some grease in the BB of a cheap kid's bike, and also in the window mech. of a Honda Civic, that petroleum (kerosene) would not touch. Even left the BB soaking for weeks in kerosene. Lacquer thinner removed the stuff.
Old 10-08-19, 06:43 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I suggested alcohol as an alternative to "chemicals".
And just what is alcohol? They are all "chemicals" and OMS happens to be an effective one, alcohol (IPA, I assume) isn't.
Old 10-08-19, 06:47 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
A note to the OP: Working with flammable solvents is inherently risky. Use proper PPE, ventilation, storage, fire protection, and proper disposal of used rags.

All this is second nature to experienced shop personnel. But If you don't have experience with them, please be very careful. For instance, I learned long ago, the hard way, not to use lacquer thinner in a Styrofoam cup. Later, I learned much more in chem labs in school, then even more during my career as a firefighter.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-08-19, 06:57 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I often use automotive brake cleaner as a bike solvent (the stuff in aerosol cans). Nasty, somewhat. But it is very effective, evaporates quickly, and does not damage paint like other solvents. Just make sure you wear eye protection as depending where you spray with the tube, it can splash back at you.

I usually get the bulk of the expired grease out with a rag/paper towel (no solvents) before using the chemicals. With most components (hubs, headsets) with cup/cone bearings this gets the majority of the old stuff out.
Old 10-08-19, 09:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I suggested alcohol as an alternative to "chemicals". I am afraid I rely on chemicals but alcohol will work just takes longer and more effort.
All substances are "chemicals". Some "chemicals" do a better job than others because of their properties. The chemical mixture of grease doesn't have much in common any chemical that can be called "alcohol". It does happen to have a lot in common with the chemical mixture call mineral spirits.

"Alcohol" is a class of chemicals (). What alcohols share in common that make them a class of chemicals is a hydroxyl group attached to a carbon chain that is not part of a benzene ring. Depending on the alcohol, they can be as deadly than other "chemicals". Odorless mineral spirits are fairly benign. The risk of hazard are mostly do to contact and any other risk is relatively long term, i.e. decades. If they cause harm (and that's a big "if"), mineral spirits are known as chronic toxins.

Alcohols...especially shorter chain alcohols and ethylene glycol (a dihydroxy alcohol)...are acute toxins. Their effects show up within at least 14 days of exposure. In the case of methanol (one carbon alcohol), ethanol (2 carbon) and isopropanol (3 carbon), the effects are felt in much less than 14 days. Their effect is almost instantaneous...it's the reason some people drink ethanol. Methanol, in particular, can be toxic upon skin exposure. Ethylene glycol falls within that 14 days but it as least as deadly as methanol.

I wouldn't suggest using mineral spirits willy nilly nor would I suggest doing shots of it. Wear gloves. Use it in a well ventilated area. Avoid using it around open flame. But, in general, it's a safe mixture to use and it's far more effect...which means you need a whole lot less of it...than alcohol when it comes to grease.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-08-19, 02:42 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Use some Oranj Peelz from Pedros. Limit contact to bare metals only.
Old 10-08-19, 03:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Grease is an emulsion of soap and oil. The solid matter you see is the soap component left behind after the oil has separated from the emulsion and drained out. If you want to avoid potentially toxic solvents to deal with this, try adding back some mineral oil and working it back into the soap. This can reconstitute the grease and make it easier to clean out with e.g. a rag.

Personally, that's more work than I am inclined to put into a job like this. I'd just use mineral spirits, nitrile gloves, a brush and a rag and be done with it.
Old 10-08-19, 03:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you don't want to use, or don't have access to, petroleum distillates, try a pump spray oven/grill cleaner. I use some stuff from the dollar store that's advertised as a "citrus" cleaner but from the odor it's mostly ammonia and surfactants. It works remarkably well on typical bike cleanup jobs, from chains to minor greasy cleanups.

I think it's called "LA's Totally Awesome Grill & Oven Cleaner." Not even kidding. Terrible name. Pretty good stuff for a buck.

It's not caustic like compressed canned foaming oven cleaner -- I can't even be in the same room with that stuff without provoking an asthma attack. And, frankly, the dollar store pump spray stuff isn't as effective on oven/grill cleanups either. It seems to work more like the name brand simple green and orange cleansers, just cheaper.

I used to keep mineral spirits around for those jobs but the dollar store oven/grill cleaner works well enough that I use it for most oily and greasy bike cleanups now. Doesn't seem to harm the paint job either, and I'm careful to wipe it off with clean water ASAP.
Old 10-08-19, 04:02 PM
mprince

I'd be careful with citrus degreaser as well as oven cleaner as both can damage anodized surfaces. For example, Chris King specifically calls out citrus degreaser in their bearing service bulletins.
Old 10-08-19, 04:13 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
I'd be careful with citrus degreaser as well as oven cleaner as both can damage anodized surfaces. For example, Chris King specifically calls out citrus degreaser in their bearing service bulletins.
Aluminum bearings?
Old 10-08-19, 04:14 PM
mprince

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Aluminum bearings?
More like headset cups.
Old 10-08-19, 04:22 PM
Cibi42

Looks like I need to get myself some mineral spirit...
I didn't have alcohol on hand (not the kind to degrease bike parts with) so gave WD40 a go after removing the bigger gunk with stick and rag. Small spray, quick rub with a rag (more elbow grease in thicker layers) and it worked a charm! got myself some clean headsets again.

Thank you all for sharing your experience.
Old 10-08-19, 04:51 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Cibi42
Looks like I need to get myself some mineral spirit...
I didn't have alcohol on hand (not the kind to degrease bike parts with) so gave WD40 a go after removing the bigger gunk with stick and rag. Small spray, quick rub with a rag (more elbow grease in thicker layers) and it worked a charm! got myself some clean headsets again.

Thank you all for sharing your experience.
WD-40 will work, it's just more expensive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-08-19, 04:53 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
A gallon of the liquid WD40 might be expensive, but it will last you for years and years. And it's far superior to the aerosol stuff.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-08-19, 09:24 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Naphtha.

Basically a very clean, highly refined version of mineral spirits. Same stuff as found in Zippo cigarette lighters.

As non-toxic as such things get. Not harmful to plastics and paints including fine lacquer.

Works great on old grease and other goo and won't hurt anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.