Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2020 Salsa Cutthroat

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 12:58 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
2020 Salsa Cutthroat

2020 Salsa Cutthroat

Released yesterday. Highlights include
  • GRX options, including paired with subcompact 46/30 doubles.
  • No GRX cranks though, I’m guessing because of BB shell width.
  • boost 110/148 spacing.
  • New “more compliant” fork
  • tweaked geometry including slacker HTA, one additional size.
  • extra panels to protect against rock strikes, novel frame bag mounting system, etc.
Looks like an overall decent improvement of the last Cutthroat to me...even more of a light, comfy bike you can do long gravel rides/races on, or run 29x2.4s if you want to hit serious off road.

The one gripe I see is that Salsa appears to be using a lower spec fork for the lower end builds (Al steerer bonded to Carbon, vs full Carbon fork on the higher end builds). They did this on the last Warbird iteration too. For my money I’d be willing to pay the difference for the better fork, especially considering the lowest tier build is already $2700.
Old 10-11-19, 06:37 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
2020 Salsa Cutthroat

• GRX options, including paired with subcompact 46/30 doubles.
  • No GRX cranks though, I’m guessing because of BB shell width.

The one gripe I see is that Salsa appears to be using a lower spec fork for the lower end builds (Al steerer bonded to Carbon, vs full Carbon fork on the higher end builds). They did this on the last Warbird iteration too. For my money I’d be willing to pay the difference for the better fork, especially considering the lowest tier build is already $2700.

The BB92 bottom bracket is an internal bearing the GXP and Shimano BBs are external bearing they are the same width. With the correct bearings either Shimano or Sram will fit the BB92. Personally I'd rather have the Raceface/Easton combo for more options in gearing.

I'd be willing to pay extra for the unfinished frame. I have a green 2016 Cutthroat it is about the only color I sort of like. At first look at the new ones I thought they had finnaly put a more subtle paint scheme on it. But no now you get Salsa in 4 inch high letters down the downtube.
Old 10-11-19, 07:25 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
The BB92 bottom bracket is an internal bearing the GXP and Shimano BBs are external bearing they are the same width. With the correct bearings either Shimano or Sram will fit the BB92. Personally I'd rather have the Raceface/Easton combo for more options in gearing.
Thanks for clarifying, I am not familiar enough with BB standards. Looking at the direct mount options out there, you’re right it’s probably a better choice.