Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FD for an old MTB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FD for an old MTB

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 07:31 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 231 Posts
It appears, based on the second photo by the OP, that this FD has an adjuster for the spring tension. It's the allen bolt next to the inner cage, right above the chain in the 2nd photo. Depending on its current orientation, it may be possible to increase the return tension. There should be arrows on both the bolt and the body. Aligning the arrows is for standard (lower) tension, arrows at 180 degree is for higher tension.

If it's currently on lower setting, this adjustment may give you what you need to overcome the cable friction.
Old 10-15-19, 08:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
It appears, based on the second photo by the OP, that this FD has an adjuster for the spring tension. It's the allen bolt next to the inner cage, right above the chain in the 2nd photo. Depending on its current orientation, it may be possible to increase the return tension. There should be arrows on both the bolt and the body. Aligning the arrows is for standard (lower) tension, arrows at 180 degree is for higher tension.

If it's currently on lower setting, this adjustment may give you what you need to overcome the cable friction.
I think you are mistaken. I haven't run across any front derailer...or rear, for that matter...that has any kind of adjustment to the spring tension, especially not lower to middle of the line Shimano and not old stock. There's no Allen bolt on that derailer other than the cable anchor and the clamp.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-15-19, 08:58 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
IIRC, early 90s Treks had a weird FD cable routing strategy. At least some of them had a pinch bolt on the frame, as OP's does, and a stop for the housing on the actuating arm of the derailleur, and no pinch bolt on the derailleur.

It is very hard to tell form the OP's pictures, but I think that setup has been modified on their bike. It almost makes me think someone has added the pinch bolt on the derailleur where there would not have originally been one.

If you got a compatible bottom-pull derailleur, if you could swap the cable pinch bolt for the cable housing stop on the existing derailleur, that might work.
Old 10-15-19, 12:24 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think you are mistaken. I haven't run across any front derailer...or rear, for that matter...that has any kind of adjustment to the spring tension, especially not lower to middle of the line Shimano and not old stock. There's no Allen bolt on that derailer other than the cable anchor and the clamp.
Pic of FD from about the vintage of the OP. Some of the FDs from the 1990s had the adjuster as outlined below to increase return spring tension. Little known feature and not always in the user service instructions from Shimano.

A few RDs also had adjuster (eg: RD-6401, RD-M735). These were also 1990 vintage. These were the older design that used a coiling action spring, as opposed to the more modern pulling spring, (the spring that can be seen running the length of the parallelogram). The adjuster was a screw located on the parallelogram right under the cable anchor point.

FD-M550 LX Tension adjuster

Edit: Post #29 & photo was to show the return spring tension adjuster and is not related to the cable routing/attachment that others have explained.

Last edited by KCT1986; 10-15-19 at 03:22 PM. Reason: For clarity
Old 10-15-19, 01:29 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Try routing your cable housing from the top tube cable stop to the cable stop on the derailleur (I think this is how the housing is routed in the first set of pictures), and anchor the inner cable to the bolt on the frame. Do not anchor the cable to the bolt on the derailleur. This was how these bikes came from the factory.
Old 10-15-19, 01:36 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Here is how the connection was described in a different discussion:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/CJwcCaeZV9M

I have a 1992 TREK 970 frame with top tube cable routing. There is a cable
housing stop for the front derailleur on both ends of the top tube. There is
no other stop before the cable housing reaches the front derailleur but there
is an anchor bolt beyond it on the bottom bracket shell just below the
chainstays.I have a picture of the built up bike and it appears the cable & housing goes
from the rear stop on the top tube to all the way to the front derailleur,
beyond that only the cable extends through the derailleur and appears to anchor
on the bolt down on the bottom bracket. The front derailleur does appear to
have some kind of housing stop on it.
Old 10-15-19, 03:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Aha so housing pushes derailleur arm down. Interesting setup!
Old 10-15-19, 03:39 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I wonder if OP's problem wasn't at least partly because he has the cable improperly routed and fastened under the bolt on the derailleur.