Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Old 10-16-19, 05:55 PM
2skies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kirby999
Anyone ever setup a Roll for trail riding ?
I just ordered myself a Roll Comp X1 today and intend on building it up as a "backwoods comfort" bike to cruise the wooded trails and rails-to-trails routes with my wife and dog. The only thing I'm changing about it is the wheels for some Continental DoubleFighter III in 27.5x2 and adding a Suntour XCR Lo R Coil front suspension fork, they have a 25% off fall sale right now.
Old 10-16-19, 06:01 PM
2skies

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyd
...local rail trail and take it for it's first ride. Weather permitting should be doing a 23 mile ride on it. Right now the weather is looking good.
City of Champi-yinz, eh? We've got a lovely rail trail! I can't wait to get my Roll in hopefully next week and take it out as well!
Likes For 2skies:
Old 10-16-19, 06:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by 2skies
The only thing I'm changing about it is ... adding a Suntour XCR Lo R Coil front suspension fork, they have a 25% off fall sale right now.
I suggest proceeding with caution on this. The Roll's frame is designed for a shorter (rigid) fork, and the head tube and seat tube angles are already pretty slack/relaxed on this bike. Lengthening the fork by what will amount to 2-3 inches will really raise the front of the frame up and lay your tube angles back even further. It may ride a little strange after this. Note that you may also need to lengthen the front brake line by a few inches.

If you want a front suspension, have you considered the Specialized Crosstrail? You could set one of these up to have an upright riding position, but the frame is designed from the start for a suspension fork.
Old 10-16-19, 06:36 PM
2skies

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest proceeding with caution on this. The Roll's frame is designed for a shorter (rigid) fork, and the head tube and seat tube angles are already pretty slack/relaxed on this bike. Lengthening the fork by what will amount to 2-3 inches will really raise the front of the frame up and lay your tube angles back even further. It may ride a little strange after this...
Thank you for reaching out! Is there a fork out there that might work better than the XCR 32 LO? We ride a lot of uneven terrain and I'd like to have something to smooth it all out instead of relying on the tire volume.
Old 10-16-19, 07:30 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
I just ordered myself a Roll Comp X1 today and intend on building it up as a "backwoods comfort" bike to cruise the wooded trails and rails-to-trails routes with my wife and dog. The only thing I'm changing about it is the wheels for some Continental DoubleFighter III in 27.5x2 and adding a Suntour XCR Lo R Coil front suspension fork, they have a 25% off fall sale right now.
With the 650x2.3 tires , they are balloon type . Lowering the tire pressure to around 35-40 psi they would cushion your ride on trails . If you could find some plus tires , you wouldn’t need a front suspension for mild trail riding .
Old 10-17-19, 06:18 AM
hokiefyd 

Thank you for reaching out! Is there a fork out there that might work better than the XCR 32 LO? We ride a lot of uneven terrain and I'd like to have something to smooth it all out instead of relying on the tire volume.
The XCR 32 fork is a decent quality fork -- the brand or model of fork is not really the issue; it's the increase in length due to the suspension design, and its effect on frame geometry, that has the potential to change the way the bike rides. Note that some riders are more sensitive to that sort of thing than others -- it may not be something you would notice (or it might be).

If you anticipate riding a lot of terrain where you really want a suspension fork, I might suggest looking into something like a hardtail mountain bike (hardtail = suspension fork, with a rigid rear frame). In the Specialized world, something like a Rockhopper or Pitch might be a good choice. I think the primary difference is the Rockhopper uses 622mm wheels (often called 29") and the Pitch, like the Roll, uses 584mm wheels (often called 27.5"). They offer 80-100mm of fork travel (and their frames are designed for that fork). The Pitch expert uses the XCR 32 fork you're considering for your Roll.

Just a thought.
Old 10-17-19, 06:34 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
There are tons of better MTB forks out there, but they usually are also much more expensive. For something comparably priced you might want to look into the air sprung Suntour forks, like XCR Air and Raidon. But as said before, any suspension fork will raise the front end and thus affect handling.
Old 10-17-19, 07:42 AM
OldCruiser

The XCR 32 fork is a decent quality fork -- the brand or model of fork is not really the issue; it's the increase in length due to the suspension design, and its effect on frame geometry, that has the potential to change the way the bike rides. Note that some riders are more sensitive to that sort of thing than others -- it may not be something you would notice (or it might be).

If you anticipate riding a lot of terrain where you really want a suspension fork, I might suggest looking into something like a hardtail mountain bike (hardtail = suspension fork, with a rigid rear frame). In the Specialized world, something like a Rockhopper or Pitch might be a good choice. I think the primary difference is the Rockhopper uses 622mm wheels (often called 29") and the Pitch, like the Roll, uses 584mm wheels (often called 27.5"). They offer 80-100mm of fork travel (and their frames are designed for that fork). The Pitch expert uses the XCR 32 fork you're considering for your Roll.

Just a thought.
This is what I did . I bought a Rockhopper and raised the handlebars to a comfortable level . Makes a nice comfortable riding all terrain bike . I would have liked to have used a set of Specialized Roll handlebars , but I haven’t found them for sale yet .
Old 10-17-19, 10:01 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
This is what I did . I bought a Rockhopper and raised the handlebars to a comfortable level . Makes a nice comfortable riding all terrain bike . I would have liked to have used a set of Specialized Roll handlebars , but I haven’t found them for sale yet .
Beautiful looking bike. I have used my bike with a steerer tube extension just like yours for a long time. Your comfort is the most important thing. If you are happy with the rise, ignore the looks. I recently got a short and angled stem and a riser handlebar and got rid of the extension. Even though i mostly feel fine, i sometimes still wish the extension was there Riding upright is really the most comfortable way to go.
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 10-17-19, 10:10 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
Beautiful looking bike. I have used my bike with a steerer tube extension just like yours for a long time. Your comfort is the most important thing. If you are happy with the rise, ignore the looks. I recently got a short and angled stem and a riser handlebar and got rid of the extension. Even though i mostly feel fine, i sometimes still wish the extension was there Riding upright is really the most comfortable way to go.
Thanks . I couldn’t ride it as it came . Killed my wrists and hands . I’m going try to get a set of Roll handlebars from the dealer . That will eliminate the stem riser . If not , I’m good with it . At least I can ride it now and it’s my go anywhere bike .
Old 10-17-19, 11:28 AM
hokiefyd 

I’m going try to get a set of Roll handlebars from the dealer.
I'd be interested to know if a Specialized dealer can get these, and for how much. It seems like OEM parts like these are sometimes hard to come by, even through a dealer.
Old 10-17-19, 12:26 PM
OldCruiser

I'd be interested to know if a Specialized dealer can get these, and for how much. It seems like OEM parts like these are sometimes hard to come by, even through a dealer.
When I picked up my bike , I asked about purchasing the Roll bars and the fit guy didn’t like the idea of me changing the bars to begin with , but he said he didn’t know if they were available. I was thinking of trying another dealer .
I’ve looked and the only thing that’s similar are Box Components Cro Mo bars and they’re $89.99 plus tax on Amazon .
I may just stick with the stem riser for that price . That’s almost a fourth of what I paid for my Roll .
Old 10-17-19, 12:43 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
When I picked up my bike , I asked about purchasing the Roll bars and the fit guy didn’t like the idea of me changing the bars to begin with , but he said he didn’t know if they were available. I was thinking of trying another dealer .
I’ve looked and the only thing that’s similar are Box Components Cro Mo bars and they’re $89.99 plus tax on Amazon .
I may just stick with the stem riser for that price . That’s almost a fourth of what I paid for my Roll .
If i was gonna pay that much, i'd get one of these:

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-h-b...aluminum-loop/
Old 10-17-19, 02:16 PM
OldCruiser

I don’t think that one would accomplish what I was looking for .
Old 10-17-19, 02:35 PM
OldCruiser

Instead of spending $90+ , I think I’ll keep it like it is now . Doesn’t look that bad .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-19-19, 08:32 AM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just reached 10 posts...here’s my roll

Likes For Lu..:
Old 10-19-19, 09:27 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Lu..
Just reached 10 posts...here’s my roll

Nice color !
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-19-19, 05:51 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
My new Roll Elite came in on Friday like my dealer said it would and they had it ready for pickup by 2pm. When I finally made it to the shop and I walked in and saw the bike I was like wow that's pretty cool looking and those big tires look awesome. In person the bike really something a little different for sure. Took a quick spin around the parking lot and made an adjustment or but would need more. Loaded it up and took it home. When I got home I put my SHimano M324 clipless pedals on, my water bottle on, my riding light, computer and Ergon 4 grips. Made some more adjustments to my handlebars, shifters and brakes. Took it out for a small ride and those things where all dialed in. Now for the seat. I tried a few different setups with it but my rear didn't seem to like it (I might mess with it more since I have everything else setup and feeling good. I put on my Serfas Air Lift seat and wow felt much better to me so for now I'm sticking with that seat. I did read a little about the suspension seat post not being to great and not working to well. I did loosen up the spring holder so when I sit it sags about 1/3 or the travel down. I used a zip tie around the post and would sit and see where the zip tie was so help set the travel. Worked great for me and overall the suspension seat post feels good to me. Took about a 2 mile ride at 1am on Friday night after all the settings where done and overall felt really good. Sat morning comes aroung and I end up riding the local rail trail and doing 23 miles with a friend today. Great ride and The Roll was awesome. I come home and do a few things and then I went out around my area and did another 7 miles so overall I did 30.12 miles. First time ever riding 30 miles in a day. Previous longest mileage done in a day for me was 25 on my Crosstrail. Overall I'm glad I got the Roll Elite. Really going to be a fun bike for me.
Likes For wyd:
Old 10-19-19, 06:30 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Nice looking new bikes, Lu.. and wyd. Happy Rolling!
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-20-19, 10:37 AM
wyd

Originally Posted by coopman
There was a tag on my saddle that showed that the nose of the saddle should be tilted upwards, not level.
I don't feel like the stock suspension seat post is doing anything. If it is doing anything, it's pretty well useless.
For the suspension seat post if you didn't already know you can pull your seat out and on the bottom of the post you can adjust the tension more or less with an 8mm hex. What I did to get the suspension post to feel better and see how it was working was to take and put a zip tie around the post and then I would sit on my seat normally. Once sat on the seat I would get off my bike and see how far the zip tie was pushed up. I then kept loosen the hex nut in the seat post to loosen the tension up. I wanted to sit on my seat normally and have the post go down about 1/3rd or a little more of the total travel. Once I had that all setup I added some lite lubrication to outside of the suspension post and it's been working great and you can feel it working. Move the Zip Tie back down and take a few mile ride and see where it's at. You can see how much of the travel you used. I weigh 250 lbs and at maximum have used 2/3rd's of the travel and still had a 1/3rd that's never been used. It's going to take a really huge hit for me to use all the travel that suspension post has. Setting your initial sag to about 1/3rd used when you sit should really give you a nice overall feel.
Old 10-20-19, 11:56 AM
matt_oo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-20-19, 02:28 PM
coopman

Thanks for that info, wyd. I'll have to check this out.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-20-19, 06:35 PM
wyd

Originally Posted by coopman
Thanks for that info, wyd. I'll have to check this out.
No problem. One day this week I'm actually going to take mine apart and see how good it's lubed up and see what's all in it. Should be a spring and a rubber elastomer and the two work together. I want to make sure it's lubed up good and if not I will take care of that. Looks pretty simple to do. I will post what I find and take a picture and get them posted up.
Old 10-20-19, 06:51 PM
OldCruiser

Do the handlebars on the Roll seem a little wide to anyone else . I’m considering cutting about 3/4” off each side . When cruising I find it’s more comfortable for me just about where the inside of the grips are .
If I move the grips over a tad I’ll be resting my hands on the fat ends of my grips .
Old 10-21-19, 06:06 AM
coopman

The spring on my saddle must be screwed all the way in because my seat has no give or perceivable vertical motion to it. Will probably check it out tonight since the weather is going to be bad as a cold front is coming through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.