Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Office Bag

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ortlieb Office Bag

Old 07-19-12, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a snap in back pack harness would be a nice thing..

(now play nice , guys)
Old 07-19-12, 10:20 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'd love to see Ortlieb make a back pack version in their standard QL2 design with straps on the front of the bag (on the reverse side of the hooks).

This is the bag I use:

https://www.ortliebusa.com/prod-209.htm

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 07-19-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 01:26 PM
Zrane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'd love to see Ortlieb make a back pack version in their standard QL2 design with straps on the front of the bag (on the reverse side of the hooks).

This is the bag I use:

https://www.ortliebusa.com/prod-209.htm
I can definitely see preferring the QL2 version of that one. The snap on backpack strap system looks annoying.
Old 07-19-12, 04:35 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine doesn't have "a strap", it has two back pack straps that plug into the mountings where it fits to the rack.
The bag I got just has a shoulder strap. I didn't know about the backpack strap option... hunting around ortliebusa.com I didn't see that option or style... that Vario bag seems to have the straps permanently attached?

https://www.ortliebusa.com/prod-205.htm seems not to work with the QL3 system.

Thanks, Newkie, for the tip about just rolling the shoulder strap into the bag. I wouldn't have expected that to work! Sounds like a great solution, especially for a teenager rushing to class!
Old 07-19-12, 07:55 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Jim - that's interesting, it fits onto a regular pannier with the QL2 system. That's PERFECT, buying tomorrow - thanks again.
Old 07-19-12, 08:21 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Note that I had to bend in the rack due to limited placement options. It flexes and the brace below doesn't provide support.
Ah, looking at your photos more carefully, I see how that rearmost vertical support structure is actually narrower than the two in front of it, so the three vertical supports are not in a common plane. That is really not going to work well with that QL3 support! Maybe you could use the horizontal support of the rack for one of the skeleton attachment loops - at least for the one in the back. That would get rid of the bend in the skeleton, which ought to make the bag fit better.

I don't really understand the advantage of the clip-on backpack straps, whether QL2 or QL3. Either way, you need to haul the straps along somehow, and clipping them on looks awkward. To ride the bike to a trail head and then take a day hike, now that is one application that would seems very suitable for such a system. But to bike to the train or some such, a simple shoulder strap seems easier for carrying the bag off the bike. I guess one could have to walk a mile or two at the other end of the train ride, and then the backpack could be worth the fuss.
Old 07-21-12, 06:41 AM
Jethro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are car-free and use a number of Ortlieb bags with QL1, QL2, & QL3 attachments. The Office Bag with the QL3 attachment is by far the favorite of the three attachment systems. I look forward to finding a Tubus level-quality rack pre-made for the QL3 attachments but have not yet searched that much. My suggestion to the OP is remount the adapter bracket level with the top-bar of the rack. Your son will be able to use a traditional pannier on one side and the Office Bag on the opposite side. If that does not work, I suggest trying to re-set the rack itself further from its attachment points on the rear stays. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-12, 11:48 PM
spinbackle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is there any way you can mount the bag as shown? It's a great bag and has potential!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
heel.jpg (109.1 KB, 137 views)
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 07-23-12, 08:32 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinbackle
Is there any way you can mount the bag as shown? It's a great bag and has potential!

Looking at how the rack is shaped, I think he'd need to replace it with something that has an L shaped rear support instead of the angled support for that position to work.

I think he's dealing with shorter chainstays than I have, since I was able to keep the QL-3 skeleton completely horizontal by moving the clips as far forward as possible while sliding the skeleton itself back. The bottom arm still manages to overlap the rack and prevent sway.
Old 10-15-19, 08:35 PM
badgnome

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm getting the impression this is not a bag you can stuff to the gills like the rear rollers can take. I take a few bumps on the way to the office and it starts to unfurl and the two parts of the handle system also comes apart. Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-19, 12:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by badgnome
I'm getting the impression this is not a bag you can stuff to the gills like the rear rollers can take. I take a few bumps on the way to the office and it starts to unfurl and the two parts of the handle system also comes apart. Any suggestions?
Well, this thread is seven years old; Ortleib has probably changed things up since then.