Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Could use some assistance in getting brake levers off (mid 90's schwinn mtb)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 01:03 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

I'm having a difficult time seeing how these are on here. Maybe somebody knows and could direct me . There doesn't appear to be any screw to tension them on. I've been told that screw might be in the space when you squeeze the lever. But I can't see anything other than the end of the cable. And I don't feel like I can see any screw behind it, but it's really hard to see.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-19, 01:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Yes, the lever clamp screw is up in the lever, viewed when the lever is pulled against the bars. And the screw head is easier to access with the cable removed from the lever. Easy to do with no tools. IIRC the screw will take a Phillips or a slotted screwdriver. Andy
Old 10-18-19, 01:57 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I'm assuming those adjustment spinners where the cable comes into the brake will allow me to adjust in some slack, eh? I've turned them and I think they move the cable back and forth for slack take up.
Old 10-18-19, 03:03 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Loosen the cable at the brake clamping bolt end and you should have plenty of clearance to remove the cable from the lever.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-19-19, 11:47 AM
3S1M

Sounds good. I was hoping to avoid adjusting brakes but I guess it's inevitable. LOL.