Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Veg friendly bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Veg friendly bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 11:18 AM
probable556
pedal head

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
A couple of weeks ago, I killed a cute, fuzzy chipmunk. Well, at least I think I did. I was riding on a MUP and my back wheel hit something. I thought that was strange because I did not see a rock, stick or anything that would cause this bump. About 10 minutes later I was coming back and saw the dead chipmunk in the location of the bump.
Actually the squirrel I hit was a definite Darwin candidate. He cut right, then left, looked at me and cut back right... then thud-thud. Poor *******.
Old 07-28-07, 12:24 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can't believe all the big, tough meat eaters who feel so threatened by a vegan that they have nothing else to do but sit here and take pot shots at somebody making a buying decision. What a load of wussies.
Old 07-28-07, 01:33 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But the OP didn't create the topic to either troll or justify his personal choices to others. I can't even see where he made any disparaging comments about those of us who are omnivores. All he wanted to know is if anyone knew about bikes made without animal products. It's kind of an obscure topic, and I can understand not having any answers. We all have the right here to ask questions about bikes and cycling without having others jump on us for what we prefer. Personally, I have had people jump on me for preferring bikes with internal hub gearing over derailleur gearing, and to this day I am still perplexed by how unpleasant they were about it.

The only advice I have is what Blue Order said: contact Veloshop on Portland, OR. The owner is a vegan and tries to stock items that don't involve animal products. I've never shopped there myself, but they do have a good reputation around town.

EDIT: The OP may also consider doing a search on this topic in the SSFG forum. There seems to be a group of FG riders here who also happen to be vegan.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-28-07, 02:02 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stick with cork bar tape instead of leather tape. Also, seriously, you might want to consider natural rubber tires and tubes instead of petroleum product tires.
Old 07-28-07, 02:06 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
But the OP didn't create the topic to either troll or justify his personal choices to others. I can't even see where he made any disparaging comments about those of us who are omnivores. All he wanted to know is if anyone knew about bikes made without animal products. It's kind of an obscure topic, and I can understand not having any answers. We all have the right here to ask questions about bikes and cycling without having others jump on us for what we prefer. Personally, I have had people jump on me for preferring bikes with internal hub gearing over derailleur gearing, and to this day I am still perplexed by how unpleasant they were about it.

The only advice I have is what Blue Order said: contact Veloshop on Portland, OR. The owner is a vegan and tries to stock items that don't involve animal products. I've never shopped there myself, but they do have a good reputation around town.

EDIT: The OP may also consider doing a search on this topic in the SSFG forum. There seems to be a group of FG riders here who also happen to be vegan.
Fair point - my apologies to the OP.

nothing wrong with hub gears. In fact they're very cool and definitely the way forward.
https://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames.html
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-28-07, 07:48 PM
Jigsaw

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the comments, especially to donnamb and anyone who mentioned the place in Portland. I'm not interested in buying a bike by mail, but might contact him to get some advice.

BTW, my post isn't a comment or anything about anyone's diet or lifestyle choices. This is just a choice I've made and would like to follow through if I can.

Thanks again,
Jigs
Old 07-28-07, 07:50 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a vegan, I wish I could be more informative than donnamb about this subject but I can't.

About the farthest I get in remaining vegan in cycling is to make sure my saddle and shoes are not leather, beyond that it is a stretch. It's probably pretty hard to determine the "vegan-ness" beyond that, or at least maybe I am not as dedicated/driven to do it as another vegan.

Good luck though, hopefully the guy in Portland will be a good source.
Old 07-28-07, 09:45 PM
Brianwh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Also, seriously, you might want to consider natural rubber tires and tubes instead of petroleum product tires.
What, latex tubes and tires? Where on earth would you find them?

I don't see any reason why vegans would eschew petroleum products... Do you?
Old 07-28-07, 10:03 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brianwh
What, latex tubes and tires? Where on earth would you find them?

I don't see any reason why vegans would eschew petroleum products... Do you?
Not that I am aware. I believe that comment was part of the thread going off in a different direction from the intent of the OP.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-29-07, 11:50 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this website for vegetarian motorcyclists that has a bunch of links that could prove helpful. One of the suggestions that could apply to both two-wheeled sports is to stick with shoes made of Lorica (a synthetic) to have many of the benefits of regular leather without being an animal product.

I say this as a person who consumes meat but could easily become vegetarian because I enjoy vegetarian dishes/restaurants so much!
Old 07-30-07, 12:05 AM
CTAC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-30-07, 09:26 AM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess what it comes down to is what you think is acceptable. Metal and rubber production both use animal products on some level and you have to decide wether or not there is enough animal abuse/mistreatment to warrant giving it up. In all honesty, you'll be hard-pressed to find a bicycle that is 100% completely animal product-free (if they even exist). I'm a vegan of several years and I used to struggle with these kinds of decisions. Just try to remember that Veganism is a way of life and a mindset, not a radical religion and riding a bike doesn't make you any less vegan than anyone else. This might help too:
Is refined sugar vegan? It depends on how you define 'vegan.' Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not 'in' the sugar, but is used in the process as as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan. For those who would prefer not to use refined sugar, there are several alternatives: raw, turbinado, beet sugar, succanat, date sugar, fructose, barley malt, rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, and maple syrup.

However, if one accepts a process-based definition of vegan, then many other familiar products would also not be considered vegan. For instance, steel and vulcanized rubber are produced using animal fats and, in many areas, groundwater and surface water is filtered through bone charcoal filters. So, is a box of pasta that contains no animal products, but has transported to the store in a steel truck on rubber wheels and then cooked in boiling water at your home, vegan? Under a process-based definition, possibly not. But according to such a definition, it would be difficult to find any products in this country that are vegan.

There is another point about definitions that comes to mind. Perhaps, in the above example, the pasta maker also makes an egg pasta. The same machinery is used, and traces of egg are in the 'vegan' pasta; would the pasta not be vegan?

Again, we recommend that vegans concentrate their attention on the most obvious animal ingredients. In our experience, concentrating on processing or on trace ingredients can make a vegan diet appear exceedingly difficult and dissuade people from adopting it.

I personally agree with the argument that focusing on the most obvious animal ingredients is a reasonable approach. After all, what about situations where the process has been designed and performed by a meat eater? They got the energy to turn up to work to make the product from eating meat and since human resource / effort is one of the key ingredients for any process shouldn't that count?
Old 07-30-07, 10:12 AM
AGGRO
Mistadobalina

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept Flo wheelset

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omg
Old 07-30-07, 04:22 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about getting a quality used bike? Some great bikes go for peanuts on Craigslist. Then you're not really supporting anything but a healthy environment for everything.

Only leather saddles and bar wrap are directly nonvegan. Manufacturing anything is bad for the environment, but I'd rather ride a bike than drive a car.
Old 07-30-07, 08:31 PM
Jigsaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Check this website for vegetarian motorcyclists that has a bunch of links that could prove helpful. One of the suggestions that could apply to both two-wheeled sports is to stick with shoes made of Lorica (a synthetic) to have many of the benefits of regular leather without being an animal product.

I say this as a person who consumes meat but could easily become vegetarian because I enjoy vegetarian dishes/restaurants so much!
Thanks for the URL. That looks like a ton of great info!

Best,
Jigs
Old 07-30-07, 08:40 PM
Jigsaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Have you thought about getting a quality used bike? Some great bikes go for peanuts on Craigslist. Then you're not really supporting anything but a healthy environment for everything.

Only leather saddles and bar wrap are directly nonvegan. Manufacturing anything is bad for the environment, but I'd rather ride a bike than drive a car.
I already have a "used" bike (used by me). If I do buy a new bike, the saddle, bar wrap are the main things I'm concerned with.

To get a totally vegan bike, made by all vegans using all parts made by vegans would be a daunting task (but woth a chuckle or two thinking about it).

Jigs
Old 07-30-07, 10:43 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, ok. You don't have much to worry about then (as others have pointed out). Most quality saddles are synthetic. Leather bar wrap is practically nonexistant.
Old 07-31-07, 12:02 AM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I commend your search for more ethical products- Don't know about any whole bike manufacturers that are necessarily vegan minded, but one product I do use is bio-lube. It's made from vegetable oils, is biodegradable, cruelty free, and it works really well.
https://bio-lube.com/

Sidi shoes are I believe mostly all Lorica, and are great quality. Fizik makes a lot of vegan saddles that are also well made.
Old 07-31-07, 08:22 AM
wolfbrother
hiphopopotamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is another lube, www.ernestolube.com, that is made from soy, I believe. He's from wisconsin, and he'll refill the bottle for half price when you run out.

It seems like this is a market that more people should get into. People who ride bikes are generally more conscious about the environment, so I would think companies that got into making/selling environmentally friendly bike products would do pretty well for themselves and for the planet.
Old 07-31-07, 08:43 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I don't understand what's up with all the haters here. The OP asked a legitimate question that deserves honest answers and not a bunch of wiseass remarks. Fortunately there are a few posters here with some good info.
To the OP - let us know how you make out. I'm very curious to see what you find out there.

Rob
Old 07-31-07, 09:15 AM
Jigsaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
I don't understand what's up with all the haters here. The OP asked a legitimate question that deserves honest answers and not a bunch of wiseass remarks. Fortunately there are a few posters here with some good info.
To the OP - let us know how you make out. I'm very curious to see what you find out there.

Rob
Thanks Rob. Personally, I love the wisecracks. They really make my day

I appricate the posts on the lube and shoes. Also, I found a good cycling form for vegans at:

https://www.veganfitness.net/forum/vi...17b7a7784c619a

Best,
Jigs
Old 07-31-07, 10:04 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus

Rob
Me either. I'm not going to be evaluating the "hating" aspect of those posts, but if they're off-topic and don't contribute, they're being deleted.
Old 07-31-07, 04:41 PM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Me either. I'm not going to be evaluating the "hating" aspect of those posts, but if they're off-topic and don't contribute, they're being deleted.
+1 dude. Debates about diet choices belong on another forum.
Old 07-31-07, 04:43 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blais
+1 dude. Debates about diet choices belong on another forum.
It wasn't even a debate. The OP merely asked about whether it's possible to buy a vegan bike. OTHER people felt the need to take potshots at the OP for being a vegan.

Originally Posted by Jigsaw
Thanks all for the comments, especially to donnamb and anyone who mentioned the place in Portland. I'm not interested in buying a bike by mail, but might contact him to get some advice.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that you buy a bike from them, just that they can help you out with advice.
Old 08-01-07, 07:23 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where is that picture of the squirrel stuck in the front wheel when you need it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.